Rosemary Decoction - A Simple Topical Rosemary Extract

GravityBoots

My Regimen
Reaction score
In searching for new information on Pulmonary Fibrosis for a family member, I came across these two interesting articles where the researchers used rosemary as the active ingredient:

The first study:
Prophylactic and curative effect of rosemary leaves extract in a bleomycin model of pulmonary fibrosis
tandfonline .com/doi/full/10.1080/13880209.2016.1247881

Second study:
Rosmarinic acid potentiates carnosic acid induced apoptosis in lung fibroblasts
ncbi .nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5587316/

The conclusions of the studies suggested that the two compounds: carnosic acid and rosmarinic acid in rosemary extract reduces scarring-fibrosis in mice and human cells.

Rosemary and hair regrowth:

There was the study on Rosemary Extract for hair regrowth on mice from 2012:
"Promotion of hair growth by Rosmarinus officinalis leaf extract."
ncbi .nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22517595
...which has several posts on hairlosstalk

Then there was this 6 month human trial-study comparing topical Rosemary oil to minoxidil:
"Rosemary Oil For Hair Loss? Not So Fast…"
perfecthairhealth .com/does-rosemary-oil-help-fight-hair-loss/
... which reported regrowth

But I have not found any authoritative sources that say rosemary essential oil (used in the human trial above) has any significant carnosic acid and rosmarinic acid (correct me if I'm wrong, maybe I have a blind spot here). What I do find is Rosemary extract is the one that contains carnosic acid and rosmarinic acid.

And in the mice hair study the carnosic acid is the compound that inhibited 5α-reductase: "As an active constituent of 5α-reductase inhibition, 12-methoxycarnosic acid was identified with activity-guided fractionation." And in the Pulmonary Fibrosis study it was also the carnosic acid that did the fibrosis reduction.

So it looks to me like Rosemary extract may be more effective than Rosemary essential oil. So I decided to make my own topical Rosemary extract.

While not the same extraction method as used in the pulmonary fibrosis studies (Soxhlet apparatus and ethanol as a solvent), a decoction (en.wikipedia .org/wiki/Decoction) is easy to make at home. I took a a full 50g package dried Rosemary I purchased off the shelf at the local grocery store and emptied it into a pot (stainless steel) and added about 4 cups of distilled water and brought it to a boil then low simmered it for about 10 hours. This greatly reduce the liquid. It cooled, then I filtered it with a reusable coffee filter. I used an empty 100ml rubbing alcohol spray bottle and mixed my solution at a 70% (deconction) and 30% (ethyl alcohol). No other ingredients added. I apply it every 4 hours.

When researching for a good skin penetration enhancer (other than DMSO) when I was experimenting with Lactate (which I stopped when a more accurate scale I ordered failed to be shipped), I came to the conclusion after reading many articles that no natural oil or PG can beat alcohol as a penetration enhancer. So that is why I am adding nothing else to the mix.

I started applying the mix April 15, 2018. It's been a month now and I am pretty sure, not positive, that I am seeing regrowth. (I was on the Lactate solution for 3 months and saw nothing).

Regarding before-after pics, I have pics from 2016. If I see cosmetic improvement I'll post those 2016 pics along with more recent pics.

Why am I posting this before I'm absolutely positive that I see regrowth? Well I'm kind of excited because I do believe I see regrowth and I wanted to share. Also, if others decide to try this simple experiment we'll have more results to look at. Try at your own risk of course :) Cheers.

Last edited:

kiwipilu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
interesting indeed! thanks for sharing. I had a quick look and check this out:
.Rosemary extract composition:
http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0101-20612008000200030#tab02
.Rosemary essential oil composition:
http://docsdrive.com/pdfs/ansinet/pjbs/2003/133-135.pdf
http://www.asianjournalofchemistry.co.in/User/ViewFreeArticle.aspx?ArticleID=25_5_54

what do we find out? The most abundant component in extract is isocarnosol (Carnosol is known as a major antioxidant in rosemary) , in EO this is cineole.
what to make of it ? IS it random?I guess it's interesting , or maybe not..
now I don't find more than you about carnosic & rosmarinic acid but at least they are in the plant extract like you said...
"Antioxidant Activity of a Rosemary Extract and Its Constituents, Carnosic Acid, Carnosol, and Rosmarinic Acid, in Bulk Oil and Oil-in-Water Emulsion"
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf950374p

you can buy rosemary essential oil and plant extract as well.

Anyway how is your scalp? Any burning sensation/itch? What if the lactacte stuff was only showing result? 3 months usually is the target

GravityBoots

My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyway how is your scalp? Any burning sensation/itch? What if the lactacte stuff was only showing result? 3 months usually is the target.

My rosemary extract mix is not causing any irritation or itch. I was never one to experience scalp itch like so many on this board. It does dry my hair/scalp a bit (I imagine it's the alcohol) but it's not a problem, as I have my hair cut very short.

Regarding Lactate, I agree with you that results for hair treatments are expected to show up three + months after starting but I stopped the Lactate a couple months ago, so I don't think that any gain I may see now if from that experiment. It's strange that the Lactate threads that I posted on: "Introduction To Lactate Protocol (additional Additives Discussed)" and "Further Evidence Of Decreased Lactate Leading To Hair Loss" have been deleted. Maybe the mods got frustrated with Lactate like I did and purged them from the board :) .Hairlosscure2020 was in contact with the Lactate researchers and asked his readers to submit questions regarding their study and he would forward to the Lactate team. Nothing came of that that I could find.

Anyway, I hope some other posters will give this rosemary extract treatment a shot. Younger hair loss sufferers may have better results than older people like myself (Norwood IV, 44 years old... my age on my profile is incorrect). My hair loss has been a slow steady process over the years. So when I see what appears to be new hairs on parts of my scalp that have been slick bald for many years I got a bit excited. But again time will tell if they were there before and I just missed them or they are actually new. I will update this post in another month.

Last edited:

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
I use Rosemary essential oil (NOW Brand) mixed with avocado oil. I apply this usually at night maybe like 5x per week. Not sure if I got any benefit since It has only been a little over a month since I got on treatments and am (hopefully) getting over a terrible shed from minoxidil and head massage. But I do feel the antiinflammatory effects.

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
I use Rosemary essential oil (NOW Brand) mixed with avocado oil. I apply this usually at night maybe like 5x per week. Not sure if I got any benefit since It has only been a little over a month since I got on treatments and am (hopefully) getting over a terrible shed from minoxidil and head massage. But I do feel the antiinflammatory effects.

not using finasteride? or any other aa's?