Role Of Non Androgenic Factors In Hair Loss And Hair Regrowth

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. I have been thinking about topical antihistamines a lot lately, and I think this paragraph summarizes where I think they exert their mechanism of action pretty well:

Skin keratinocytes respond to antigens or trigger inflammation in response to repeated, exposure to pollution, UV damage, reactive oxygen species [26], nitric oxide [27], prostaglandins and histamine [28] leading to progressive inflammation. As mentioned earlier, Kalkan, Seçkin et al. [11], proposed that the ROS forms covalent bond with endogenous proteins in the cells, changing their immune signature and making them behave as new antigens, becoming targets of immunity, inflammation and autoimmune reactions. All these processes, lead to accumulation and release of intracellular cytokines. IL-1alpha, IL-1beta, which are shown to inhibit hair elongation in hair follicle cultures in vitro [29,30]. The same effect is also supported by cytokines and chemokine, monocyte chemo attractant protein-1 (MCP-1), [31], which has been identified to be active in hair follicles and sebaceous glands in androgenetic alopecia. Surrounding fibroblasts too can respond to these pro inflammatory stimuli [32].
Antihistamines like cetirizine should block a lot of those pathways.

deraj

Reaction score
Thanks. I have been thinking about topical antihistamines a lot lately, and I think this paragraph summarizes where I think they exert their mechanism of action pretty well:

Skin keratinocytes respond to antigens or trigger inflammation in response to repeated, exposure to pollution, UV damage, reactive oxygen species [26], nitric oxide [27], prostaglandins and histamine [28] leading to progressive inflammation. As mentioned earlier, Kalkan, Seçkin et al. [11], proposed that the ROS forms covalent bond with endogenous proteins in the cells, changing their immune signature and making them behave as new antigens, becoming targets of immunity, inflammation and autoimmune reactions. All these processes, lead to accumulation and release of intracellular cytokines. IL-1alpha, IL-1beta, which are shown to inhibit hair elongation in hair follicle cultures in vitro [29,30]. The same effect is also supported by cytokines and chemokine, monocyte chemo attractant protein-1 (MCP-1), [31], which has been identified to be active in hair follicles and sebaceous glands in androgenetic alopecia. Surrounding fibroblasts too can respond to these pro inflammatory stimuli [32].

No worries, it's an interesting read, something I feel all of us concerned with hair loss should be mindful of. I really feel that hairloss is multi faceted and this article could suggest a lot of daily changes that could really boost peoples progress with their regimens.

I've recently begun topical cetirizine myself, only just over a week in but I'm pretty hopeful of good things!

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score

Think they might work orally?