Roger's Story

Roger Heeler

Reaction score
I'm 27 now and started losing hair starting with two consecutive bouts of Telogen Effluviums two years ago. My hair has not recovered fully since, although the hair fall has stopped for about a year now.

I would hate to say my hair is "thinner" than it used to be. I definitely have less hair overall on my head, but the hairs that seem to be falling out now, have a big white hardened bulb at the end of them. They are healthy, thick hairs. What is also odd is that when I run my hands over my scalp I can feel many of these tiny little while bulbs which i'm able to pick off of my scalp - i'm not sure if they are the follicle? Most of them are by themselves without any hair.

I find this big bulb attached to both mature hairs, and unfortunately, to tiny little hairs which are still trying to grow. It seems almost like they try to grow and then my scalp kicks them out of my head with this bulb attached (which i presume is the follicle?)

My hairline on the left side of my head is receding slightly, and hairs keep trying to grow back (the area is still quite fuzzy although the hairs appear dormant), however before they can make any headway, they get kicked out again.

Although I don't have excessive thinning, my hair has become thinner in the sense that there is less of it, and I can't help but think it's related to the way in which my hair is falling out with these attachments.

For over a year i've been taking Nizoral about 2 to 3 times a week. Ironically, I find it seems to kick up more of these tiny white follicles into my hair, making it look like I have dandruff! I took SAw Palmetto for a couple of months before getting scared away from it by some of the posts here.

Currently I continue to take Flax Seed, and Cod Liver oil as well as B6 and Iron. I can't say they have made my hair more abundant, but a man can hope!

I would like to start taking Nano shampoo and am considering minoxidil however am wondering whether my hair loss has anything to do with something any of these products could solve.

Any ideas?

Bismarck

Reaction score
That white "bulbus" is not the hair follicle. Don't know the exact english word. But what's at the and of the hair is called the "hair root" (right?)
The hair root consists of the bulbus and the dermal papilla. If the hair is in the telogen phase, the bulbus and the dermal papilla are no longer connected to each other such that the hair falls out or can be easily pulled out.

A dermatoligist can see what exactly this white thing is. Perhaps you don't suffer from male pattern baldness.

Deaner

Reaction score
I have looked into this bulb issue many times on many different websites, and every one says the same thing: These bulbs are natural, and although they have different explanations as to why the bulb is white, or dark, or whatever, they all say that these bulbs are totally natural. Every single hair I've ever lost has been from a white bulb, hairs on the back, sides, anywhere on my head. Which means they're not male pattern baldness related, so stop worrying about these white bulbs! :p

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
White bulbs = not male pattern baldness?

I find that hard to believe... i thought all hair sheds (natural or not) has a white bulb.. only in the male pattern baldness, the returning hair sheds quicker and grows thinner than normal.

Roger Heeler

Reaction score
The Bulbs!

I can't help but worry about the bulbs! I guess partly it is because of their size (they are not very tiny let's just say), and the other part that concerns me is that hardly anyone I've talked to has experienced the same thing.

People have told me they have a tiny white ending to the hair, but only two people have indicated that they had bigger bulbs. Just want to keep my bases covered in the unlikely (and hopeful!) event that it is something poisoning my scalp that can be remedied.

Deaner

Reaction score
Never said that Rage, I basically said that the white bulbs weren't an indicator of some underlying problem, they're totally natural from all parts of the head, not just the top.

Edit: I have some fairly large "bulbs" on my hairs too from time to time Roger, I don't believe it's anything to worry about at all.

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
o.. you might want to edit your post..

Deaner said:
Every single hair I've ever lost has been from a white bulb, hairs on the back, sides, anywhere on my head. Which means they're not male pattern baldness related, so stop worrying about these white bulbs! :p

Oh wait.. i see what you're getting at now :) I agree... stop worrying about the bulbs!

DovF

Reaction score
See a dermatologist

Two bouts of Telogen Effluvium and weird stuff on your scalp?
Go see a dermatologist and have some tests done.