Rogaine vs CVS brand?

JEM

Reaction score
Hi to all. This is a fantastic site. I'm so glad I found it. I've spent hours reading and learning - and realizing that I'm not alone. I'm a 48 year old woman with androgenetic alopecia. It started last summer, but I just saw my doctor, and then a dermatologist, over the last couple of weeks.

My hair is thinning all over, especially the top of my head. I don't have to tell anyone here what a nightmare this is.

The dermatologist suggested Rogaine 5%. She said it works better for women than the 2%, although I'm reading the opposite here.

I've been using Rogaine for a week now. I bought a one-month supply. This week, CVS is having a sale on their brand of 5% Minoxidil. Buy one, get the other for half price. The CVS brand is cheaper than Rogaine to begin with, so this would be a substantial savings.

I'm wondering if the product is as effective. If anyone can help me with this, I would be very appreciative.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
hey jem,one minoxidil brand is the same as the next so far as effectiveness,you might notice some are more greasy than others but thats the only difference.........look on this board ,plenty of people use generic minoxidil,myself included :hairy:

prg

Reaction score
I too started experiencing hair loss and can completely relate to what a nightmare it is. At first I was unsure about using generic brands in dealing with my hair loss, but as the commentator above mentions generic monoxide is just as effective. Smartgeneric.com helped me get through all of the choices I have and now I’m complete satisfied with using CVS!
I too started experiencing hair loss and can completely relate to what a nightmare it is. At first I was unsure about using generic brands in dealing with my hair loss, but as the commentator above mentions generic monoxide is just as effective. Smartgeneric.com helped me get through all of the choices I have and now I’m complete satisfied with using CVS!