Rogaine side effects

lludwig

Reaction score
I have been using Rogaine for women for about 7 months and have had excellent results. I had slight thinning towards the front (forehead area). Its all filled in now. BUT.....I have had dandruff and itchiness on the area where I've been applying the solution. That I can tolerate but at the SAME time I have SEBORRHEAC DERMATITIS on other parts of my head (oozing, crusting, etc). Its awful!!! :( I have NEVER had these symptoms is my life and as professional woman am at wits end on what to do. I'm not sure if Rogaine is the cause of the seborrhea on the other parts of my scalp. Anybody experience anything like this? I stopped using Rogaine a few weeks ago because of my concerns and am going to the doctor's next week. Has anyone experienced this? I'm afraid I won;t be able to use Rogaine and will eventually lose my hair again!

Anybody have a similar experience? Comments? Suggestions?

brunetteswirl

Reaction score
Rogaine and applying for Life Insurance

I've been using Rogaine for 4 years. I stopped about 2 years ago because I didn't think that I was seeing results. A few months after quitting it, it was obvious that there had been a difference and I went back to it immediately. I haven't experienced any side-effects like you have mentioned. I did notice that sometimes I can feel my heart racing. I didn't realize this was on the Rogaine label as a side- effect, but it is.

This is the interesting thing though... I recently applied for life insurance and was told that there were traces of Thiacide Acid in my blood. The insurance underwriters informed me that this is a drug used to treat high blood pressure. Since I have never had high blood pressure and have never taken that drug nor am I on any other drug of any sort, I was perplexed. As I was trying to convince the underwriter that I was not hiding any medical conditions, I began thinking of what I might have taken at the time of the testing. I wasn't sure if I had been taking a hair vitamin at the time (this whole fiasco had delayed the underwriting process 5 months!) of the testing so I searched for a receipt from the pharmacy where I purchase it. Fortunately, I found a receipt with Rogaine for Women on it. I called the toll free number for Rogaine and was told by a very helpful and friendly woman there that Rogaine had been discovered because men who were using a drug to treat hypertension were growing hair! This may be common knowledge, but I had never known that. The underwrites, insurance company and subsequent insurance men were not aware of it either.

If you plan on getting tested for insurance, it may be a good idea to stop the Rogaine for a few days prior... or at least to let them know that you are using it so that you don't have to convince everybody after-the-fact. I had no idea that something I was using topically could be found so easily in my bloodstream.

patricia

Reaction score
Regaine Side Effects

I've been using Regaine for about 8 years with excellent success. Yet recently I found that the hair loss has started again although I've been using the product regularly. I'm probably immune to the lotion by now. Desperation!! Are there any long-term users out there who have the same or a different experience? All comments are greatly appreciated.

brunetteswirl

Reaction score
There have been times over the years when I noticed a lot of hair loss too while using Rogaine. The first time it happened was after using it for about 9 months. I was convinced that I had a bad batch even though the expiration date was far away. A few months ago, I noticed it again... this time I thought that maybe it was seasonal, but in retrospect I think there were two separate causes. First, I was sometimes skipping the second application of the day. Also, when I first started using Rogaine, I feel sure that the directions said to apply and not to rub it in. I'm not with my supply right now, but I think that it says to rub it in now. Secondly, I think that I was drying my hair too briskly with a towel after washing it. I was using the hot setting on my blow dryer too. After reading information posted here, I began just patting my hair dry and using the cold and/or warm setting on the blow dryer. I have very little hairloss occuring now.

patricia

Reaction score
Hi Brunetteswirl. Many thanks for your reply. It seems that there's still hope for me after all. Using the hair dryer too hot is a good point. So far I haven't paid any attention to it. I also do rub the lotion in, massaging the sculp in order to improve the blood circulation. But I also don't remember what is advised in the instructions. However, I will go on using Regaine, paying careful attention to apply it twice a day. It's true after a time you tend to become lenient and forget. It's great to hear that you're having success with your treatment. And thanks again for your comments!! This problem is really distressing, especially after having dealt with it for so many years.