Rogaine losses effectiveness after a year or so?

Life_sucks

Established Member
Reaction score
Any studies regarding Rogaine losing effectiveness after a while?

When I mean losing effectiveness, will you lose whatever you gained after year/s?

Life_sucks

Established Member
Reaction score
^ Ripple you have ruined my day :(

I was unaware of this (I am still a noob).

I guess Rogaine is just a temporary fix :(

PS. Can you share your regiment? I only see shampoo's in your sig.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Life_sucks said:
When I mean losing effectiveness, will you lose whatever you gained after year/s?

I'm still not sure what you really mean by "losing effectiveness". The simple graph above (posted by ripple-effect) gives what I think is a good explanation: you still lose hair after you use Rogaine, but you have a little more at any specific point in time than if you didn't use Rogaine at all. There's an extra "offset of growth" from using Rogaine, even though the total amount you have still continues to gradually decline, as time goes by.

Life_sucks

Established Member
Reaction score
^Thanks.

I'm still little confused with the graph.

If Rogaine can grow more hair now(even though I might be losing some)...why can't this trend continue past 2 years? Why does it peak at 2 years?

Why can't the hair I'll lose 2 years from now be offset by the gains of Rogaine? (Rogaine is able to do that now, why not then).

Sorry, I know it sounds confusing. :dunno:

T

Timi

2 Years??????
then you can also save the money

2Years is nothing

Timi

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Life_sucks said:
I'm still little confused with the graph.

If Rogaine can grow more hair now(even though I might be losing some)...why can't this trend continue past 2 years? Why does it peak at 2 years?

That "2 year" period you quote above is a bit of an exaggeration by both the previous poster (ripple-effect), and the person who made the graph he posted above. There are serious studies with the use of topical minoxidil which show that the peak of regrowth is probably more along the lines of maybe three or four months after the beginning of treatment, although it may obviously vary a bit from person to person, and study to study. Counts versus weights may vary a bit, too, with weights being a more precise and accurate way to measure hair growth, than with simple counts.

So once that peak of regrowth occurs in just a few months, thinning hair will most likely start to occur again (even if you've been able to grow a little more hair by this point, thanks to the minoxidil), due to the basic processes of androgenetic alopecia.

longhair1983

Established Member
Reaction score
ripple-effect said:
Yes, minoxidil loses effectiveness after about 2 years. That is why it's important you use it with a DHT inhibitor.

Ripple, I like your plot. You made it by yourself?

Rashan

Reaction score
The problem with that graph is that it doesn't take into consideration other factors that contribute to hair loss such as the increase of DHT production, the acceleration of androgen receptors, and so forth. Its kinda like the theory that finasteride starts to lose its effectiveness after a few years. Both of these gradually start to increase as a person ages, thus having an impact on hair regrowth. Personally, I wouldn't read too much into that chart.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
longhair1983 said:
Ripple, I like your plot. You made it by yourself?

I think that plot was made by an English poster a few years ago. It's been around quite a while.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Rashan said:
The problem with that graph is that it doesn't take into consideration other factors that contribute to hair loss such as the increase of DHT production, the acceleration of androgen receptors, and so forth.

It isn't a "problem", it shows what I consider to be the truth about the overall effect of topical minoxidil, which is that it doesn't really interfere with the fundamental cause of balding, which is generally the overall effect of androgens on scalp hair follicles. People need to understand that, and not simply use Rogaine all by itself, thinking that it's going to hold onto their hair forever. The graph helps them understand that.

Rashan said:
Its kinda like the theory that finasteride starts to lose its effectiveness after a few years. Both of these gradually start to increase as a person ages, thus having an impact on hair regrowth. Personally, I wouldn't read too much into that chart.

I would. I think the chart is good for what it's designed to do, which is to show people that topical minoxidil has only a temporary effect at growing hair; it won't last forever.

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
This discussion is very enlightening. Even a lot of dermatologists don't understand that. Otherwise I would have gotten on finasteride earlier instead of minoxidil only.

Rashan

Reaction score
Bryan said:
It isn't a "problem", it shows what I consider to be the truth about the overall effect of topical minoxidil, which is that it doesn't really interfere with the fundamental cause of balding, which is generally the overall effect of androgens on scalp hair follicles. People need to understand that, and not simply use Rogaine all by itself, thinking that it's going to hold onto their hair forever. The graph helps them understand that.

Thats exactly what I'm saying. If the chart doesn't discuss androgen blockers such as Ketoconazole which should be used along with Minoxidil, how can that graph help them understand that? I think a new chart needs to be made showing the two in conjunction with each other for people to understand the further effectiveness of the two drugs working simultaneously

Bryan said:
I would. I think the chart is good for what it's designed to do, which is to show people that topical minoxidil has only a temporary effect at growing hair; it won't last forever.

I think making that statement is somewhat premature. There are way too many factors to consider here to based on a case by case study to say topical minoxidil only has a temporary effect at growing hair.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Rashan said:
Bryan said:

Thats exactly what I'm saying. If the chart doesn't discuss androgen blockers such as Ketoconazole which should be used along with Minoxidil, how can that graph help them understand that?

Simple! It demonstrates to people that hair declines at the same rate with topical minoxidil as it does in people who don't use minoxidil at all, only with the extra "offset of growth" that it provides. Seeing a drawing like that is the "one picture that's worth a thousand words". Imagine trying to explain that "offset of growth" phenomenon from minoxidil, without using such a helpful graph at all! :)

Rashan said:
I think a new chart needs to be made showing the two in conjunction with each other for people to understand the further effectiveness of the two drugs working simultaneously

Huh??? That's already part of the chart!! It shows the beneficial effect of using topical minoxidil, along with finasteride! Haven't you even looked at the whole chart, yet?? :dunno:

Rashan said:
Bryan said:

I think making that statement is somewhat premature. There are way too many factors to consider here to based on a case by case study to say topical minoxidil only has a temporary effect at growing hair.

I agree that even more work should be done on that important issue, but there's more than just one study showing such an effect. Just off the top of my head, I can think of at least four different studies with similar results. I think it's pretty likely that the results are just as I have stated.

jksl

Established Member
Reaction score
ripple-effect said:
212czgi.jpg
[/url]

Where's the line for "stop finasteride"???

Rashan

Reaction score
Rashan said:
I think a new chart needs to be made showing the two in conjunction with each other for people to understand the further effectiveness of the two drugs working simultaneously

Bryan said:
Huh??? That's already part of the chart!! It shows the beneficial effect of using topical minoxidil, along with finasteride! Haven't you even looked at the whole chart, yet??
I think you misinterepreted what I wrote. I was talking about creating a chart that shows the effectiveness of using minoxidil simultaneously with Ketoconazole and adding it to the existing chart to compare it to just using minoxidil alone and minoxidil with finasteride. I think if that chart showed a combined use of the two or three, it would paint a very different picture of minoxidil.

Rashan

Reaction score
Tom1985 said:
Lol, I've been using Rogaine for at least 4 years and it still works fine.

I know people who used rogaine when it was only available with a prescription who still use it today. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on that chart, since it doesn't tell the whole story.

Rashan

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Simple! It demonstrates to people that hair declines at the same rate with topical minoxidil as it does in people who don't use minoxidil at all, only with the extra "offset of growth" that it provides. Seeing a drawing like that is the "one picture that's worth a thousand words". Imagine trying to explain that "offset of growth" phenomenon from minoxidil, without using such a helpful graph at all!

I agree with you that it does inform people that using minoxidil will lead to the same offset of growth as people who don't use it. But what it doesn't do is inform people that keto should be used in conjunction with minoxidil. To the newbie who has just started his hairloss, you're "assuming" that he understands this just by looking at the chart, which is difficult since there is no mention of Keto.

Life_sucks

Established Member
Reaction score
Rashan said:
I think you misinterepreted what I wrote. I was talking about creating a chart that shows the effectiveness of using minoxidil simultaneously with Ketoconazole and adding it to the existing chart to compare it to just using minoxidil alone and minoxidil with finasteride. I think if that chart showed a combined use of the two or three, it would paint a very different picture of minoxidil.
I didn't know Ketoconazole was that big of a factor to be mentioned instead other dht stoppers.

I use Regenepure DR 3/4 times a week, but in all honestly, I just think it plays a very minor role.

You agree?