Rogaine foam less effective than liquid

chino20

Established Member
Reaction score
I believe that a lot of the evidence on these forums seems to point towards the conclusion that rogaine foam is less effective than the liquid. The shedding that people experience after switching from the liquid to the foam is almost identical to the sheds that would occur from simply stopping using the liquid. Also, any results from the foam seem to take a LOT longer to become apparent than 't they would otherwise do with the liquid, wasn't it also true that the 2% solution took longer to produce results than the 5%? Again, this indicates that it is less effective.

However, saying this, I think that the foam vehicle is actually more effective than the liquid vehicle. If you took a bare piece of skin and applied the same amount of foam and the same amount of liquid to it and let it dry, the foam IMHO would absorb a lot better and produce better results. In my experience the foam IS effective at growing hair on the temples, albeit not fully thick 'same as normal' hair. I think this is because I am able to apply it straight there and rub it right in, and so all of it is getting absorbed into the follicles.

Therefore I think the foam is simply less effective BECAUSE of how we are applying it. Even if I apply it straight to the scalp in areas that are thinner in the mid-scalp, a LOT of it is going to get into the hair and not onto the scalp, while with the liquid you can pretty much ensure you are getting it to the scalp, and so it would be more effective than the foam.

If you have a bald patch then the likelihood is that the foam will be more effective for you because you can rub it straight in and not get it into your hair, same if you want to try and regrow your temples. If you have diffuse thinning of any form then the foam simply won't get enough minoxidil to your follicles.

Anyway, this is my opinion from what I myself have experienced and from what I have read on these forums. Does anyone else agree with this? We have a long thread about the foam results, people are asking to get some kind of consensus about it, well this is what I believe to be the consensus on it. If you can get it to your follicles then you'll get good results, otherwise you're better off with the liquid.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
liquid for 15 months,minimal shed minimal results

foam for 8 months so far,massive shed,great results so far (and at only 8 months)

foam is far superior,liquid is 55% effective,foam 85%

its a no brainer

foam is better.

Cassin

Reaction score
Foam is better for reasons Libertine listed.

However, I hate the smell and hate the way it gums up my hair.

But for effectiveness it is far superior over off the shelf garbage.

chino20

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the foam is worse. My main point is that people can't expect that dabbing their foam covered finger onto their scalp through their hair is going to be anywhere near as effective as spraying liquid onto their scalps or dropping it on. Neither are these other strange ways I've read about how to apply it, using a q-tip? Wtf?

If you squirt it directly onto your scalp from the nozzle you will likely get results, however the extent you can get it through hair I'd still question. Obviously this is only a problem for people with longer hair, and not for those with buzz cuts or bald spots.

The fact that you can apply it and not have your hair looking greasy is reason alone to use it in the mornings at least.

chino20

Established Member
Reaction score
Nah I'm fine with foam for now, it's thinned out my crown but I think it is from a shed. I was saying this in response to a thread over at HLH where people are posting their foam results, trying to get a consensus on it. Thought I'd post it here aswell.

Is that Dr. Lee's product as effective as normal rogaine solutions? Always thought they'd be well expensive but it's pretty cheap actually.

Cassin

Reaction score
I think Dr Lees #500 is more effective than regular minoxidil due to the high alcohol content. But the Xandrox IMO is not worth it.

And I think foam is better than standard due to what Libertine posted.

kcwolf200

Reaction score
I don't know which is more effective, but I can tell you that for me, the foam works better. The main reason: I can stick to the regimen. When I used the liquid, it was more of a hassle for me and I would not use it like I was supposed to. With the foam, I have used it twice a day for 3 months without missing a dose. My hairline in the front is filling in (although with fine hairs, but there are quite a few and some are starting to turn my natural color) and the same is happening all over my scalp (I have diffuse thinning).

Bottom line is that the one that you will use consistently is the one that will work best for you.

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score
No way I could put the liquid on every morning before work. My head looked like I'd tipped the contents of a frying pan over it :thumbdown2:

Foam dries to nothing in seconds, though. Marvellous stuff.

BelfastBilly

My Regimen
Reaction score
Does foam typically have greater, fewer, or the same level of side effects as the liquid? (Obviously this question is targeted at the small group who experience side effects from minoxidil usage).

Billy

FBaldy

Reaction score
I found liquid to give better regrowth results, to the front of my hair loss that is over foam, tested it well over 6 months with one and then other.

The only way to be really sure foam before work/start of day followed by liquid before bed was my best plan.