ROGAINE FOAM increased effectiveness

rick055

Reaction score
In the thread below, some of us were having a discussion about the reasons for the increased effectiveness of ROGAINE foam. Although compliance could be a factor (due to the relative ease with which the foam is applied), my belief is that it absorbs better, here is a post from a Dr. Rassman, a hair transplant surgeon, who seems to agree:

http://www.baldingblog.com/2006/10/23/m ... aine-foam/

In a previous post, I discussed Rogaine Foam when it just came to market. There appears to be good information now that the foam delivery system for Rogaine seems to increase the effectiveness of the medication by a factor greater than two. With greater effectiveness as measured by increasing blood levels, one could and should assume that the delivery into the skin is more effective than the traditional oil or alcohol base of the ‘old’ standard product. Greater skin delivery will almost certainly bring better benefits. Time, of course, will tell us what it all means, but for the moment, I would recommend using this product and sticking with it for a full 8 months before drawing conclusions one way or the other.

Clinical trial to clinical trial, I don't think there could be enough disparity with compliance to justify the (pretty dramatic) differences in results. I believe the foam absorbs better and works better.

G

how long does the foam take to dry? like how long after application do you think you have to wait before getting your hair wet?

rick055

Reaction score
JayMan said:
how long does the foam take to dry? like how long after application do you think you have to wait before getting your hair wet?

The foam dries within minutes and UpJohn officially recommends waiting only 15 minutes before adding styling product to your hair. I believe you could spritz (but not saturate or wash) your hair with water after that.

Personally, I shower, towel dry my hair (I think a warm scalp also increases absorption) and then apply the foam. After I have breakfast I spritz my hair with a moisturizing spray (Paul Mitchell at the moment, it's really just glorified water) just enough to lightly dampen the hair (not saturate the scalp) and then I apply a styling cream which I let dry naturally. Maybe 30 minutes later I can finger comb my hair dry.

Then I walk downstairs, out the rear door of my house, lock the door, OOPS, I got carried away.... :lol:

G

awesome. is it true that the foam can double as a styling gel?

rick055

Reaction score
JayMan said:
awesome. is it true that the foam can double as a styling gel?

Yes, it is true that the fom can double as a styling product, all by itself. In fact, my "alternate" routine is, after breakfast, instead of spritzing and applying a styling creme, just using a styling spritz (Biolage finishing spritz), sprayed on a vent brush and combed through the hair. It just depends on the look I want.

Man, I spend way too much time thinking about my hair.

The only other add I plan on at the moment is 1.25 finasteride (1/4 proscar) within the next month. I used it briefly years ago and it worked very well for regrowth. I had to stop for extraneous reasons, but wanted to get back on minoxidil first before starting, in case there was a shed.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
JayMan said:
can it double as a styling gel aplunk?

Nah, not in my opinion.

I mean, not to counter Rick's assertion that it works--

I might just have different hair characteristics.

The only thing I notice after applying Rogaine Foam is the smell... It's GREAT.

rick055

Reaction score
Cassin said:
lol....not sure I would consider it a styling aid.....

Regardless, this stuff is incredible.

That's interesting.

First, I like the smell, too.

However, for me, it leaves the hair the same way a thickening mousse would. I don't know how many of you guys used mousse (it was popular in the 80's when I was a teenager), but the result is similar, bearing in mind that I am going out of my way NOT to get it on my hair but my on my scalp. Not the same as a creme or a gel, but definitely something.

powersam

Reaction score
anyone in aus ever bought the foam? where from?

rick055

Reaction score
JustinM71 said:
It definitely mousses my hair up as well. Looks nice and thick after drying.

Yes, I agree. For me it acts like a "hair thickening mousse" as a benefit, and also seems to give my hair more body.

It doesn't give the same amount of hold/control of a creme/gel, but it definitely can be used to style.

Maybe it depends on hair characteristics.

Strat54

Established Member
Reaction score
JayMan wrote:
The enclosed booklet says that you should wait 4 hours after applying the foam to wash your hair, the same as the solution.

G

Strat54 said:
JayMan wrote:
The enclosed booklet says that you should wait 4 hours after applying the foam to wash your hair, the same as the solution.

i'm not saying wash the hair strat, i'm saying if it's raining out or something or you go swimming.

Strat54

Established Member
Reaction score
JayMan wrote:
i'm not saying wash the hair strat, i'm saying if it's raining out or something or you go swimming.
This is the only thing I could find:
Can I get my hair wet after applying Rogaine®?
You can go swimming/go out in rain as long as you use good judgment. Avoid washing off Rogaine. If possible, apply Rogaine® to a dry scalp after swimming. Try not to let your scalp get wet from the rain after applying Rogaine®.
http://www.pfizerch.com/faq.aspx?solution=345

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've orderd the foam too and it should arrive soon i'm sure it will help making the morning applications easier but i have a bad feeling about that smell everybodys been talking about -I HATE cheap smells and i find it hard to belive this we'll be any different

johnnytuinals

Reaction score
Its best to get the Foam on Ebay.....
I got 6 months worth for $57 1 month ago...
Think its about $10 more now but the price is right....JT