Rogaine Foam=increased Absorption Systemically?

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
I never used the Rogaine foam before but recently tried it starting a couple of days ago because a month on the liquid caused severe itching, pain and dandruff (never had dandruff before).

Anytime I applied the liquid (always more than the 1ML) I felt a little 'Rush' but that was it.

However with the foam I am noticing the little rush, nerve tingles on my face (like ants crawling on my face and scalp), eye lashes and eye brow hair falling out (noticed four eye lash hairs fall out, never noticed that before) and my sides of my hair are tingling and falling out (with the white bulb)...I do not apply the Rogaine there. Also noticing little black specks in my vision when standing up.

Would have thought the foam is less absorbed however there are studies showing that you actually absorb MORE of the foam due to the delivery designs. Anyone notice these systemic effects after switching?

Alex Contee

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I never used the Rogaine foam before but recently tried it starting a couple of days ago because a month on the liquid caused severe itching, pain and dandruff (never had dandruff before).

Anytime I applied the liquid (always more than the 1ML) I felt a little 'Rush' but that was it.

However with the foam I am noticing the little rush, nerve tingles on my face (like ants crawling on my face and scalp), eye lashes and eye brow hair falling out (noticed four eye lash hairs fall out, never noticed that before) and my sides of my hair are tingling and falling out (with the white bulb)...I do not apply the Rogaine there. Also noticing little black specks in my vision when standing up.

Would have thought the foam is less absorbed however there are studies showing that you actually absorb MORE of the foam due to the delivery designs. Anyone notice these systemic effects after switching?
I certainly did. My skin turned to absolute crap on foam. Had huge bags under my eyes after never having the issue with liquid.

hopeforhappiness

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was sort of experimenting with both for a little when trying to decide whichever is right for me.

I also noticed a little more of the ‘rush’ when using the foam but topical minoxidil would never have enough of an effect on your blood pressure for this to matter. If you’re worried about skin sides I don’t think there are any substantial reports of the foam causing more harm.

On the liquid at about the month mark I started noticing flakes as well and I had never experienced dandruff before. After a few weeks with continued use they have subsided and I no longer experience any flaking. I wonder if anyone else got temporary dandruff and it went away with continued use.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
It wasn't just dandruff it was also bad itchiness and burning that just wasn't bearable and surely wasn't helping with the hair growth.

Something I did notice that is definitely from the Rogaine foam is that about 10mins after I get a tingly numbness on the face and scalp, particularly the sides of the hair and back of head and am shedding a ton of side hair (not top hair, already shed a lot on the top). I just apply the foam on the crown. The side hair all has the white bulb on the end and is very characteristic of what Telogen Effluvium is. Probably am now shedding about 100 hairs from the sides and back. Not sure if it is an allergy to the foam or due to the increased absorption it is pushing the hairs out at telogen. So freaking strange. Literally the same day I switched I started shedding massively from the sides and back. Never had this issue from the liquid last month or the liquid 10yr ago for 6 months of use.

hopeforhappiness

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It wasn't just dandruff it was also bad itchiness and burning that just wasn't bearable and surely wasn't helping with the hair growth.

Something I did notice that is definitely from the Rogaine foam is that about 10mins after I get a tingly numbness on the face and scalp, particularly the sides of the hair and back of head and am shedding a ton of side hair (not top hair, already shed a lot on the top). I just apply the foam on the crown. The side hair all has the white bulb on the end and is very characteristic of what Telogen Effluvium is. Probably am now shedding about 100 hairs from the sides and back. Not sure if it is an allergy to the foam or due to the increased absorption it is pushing the hairs out at telogen. So freaking strange. Literally the same day I switched I started shedding massively from the sides and back. Never had this issue from the liquid last month or the liquid 10yr ago for 6 months of use.
That does sound strange considering you were already using minoxidil prior ! Sounds like you might have a sensitive scalp. Abviously I wouldn’t be able to tell if you’re having an allergic reaction or not but I did want to say that I’ve read plenty of times on here that minoxidil going systemic can cause an effluvium effect on the sides and back of the scalp. So that seems to be fairly common.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
That does sound strange considering you were already using minoxidil prior ! Sounds like you might have a sensitive scalp. Abviously I wouldn’t be able to tell if you’re having an allergic reaction or not but I did want to say that I’ve read plenty of times on here that minoxidil going systemic can cause an effluvium effect on the sides and back of the scalp. So that seems to be fairly common.

Yeah, that is what it must be. Definitely a real Telogen Effluvium where you can feel the hair falling out and it is coming out in droves only on the sides and back...will just power through it like we must and not focus on my hair.

mikes23

Reaction score
I would melt the foam down due to it getting caught in my hair. I used it for 4 months and got no benefit. I jumped on 5% liquid rogaine and it seems like the crown is thickening up slightly. I am 5 months in. But anytime I use more then 2 ml or don't wash it out after a certain time length, I do get the chest pain. I just will reduce it to one time a day and it usually subsides. Then I go back to using it 2 times a day. so far it has been working and hoping my crown fully recovers.