Rogaine foam effectiveness questioned (OFFICIAL study)

beaner

Reaction score
Re: Study proving foam is INCREDIBLY effective (I'm overwhelmed)

philly said:
You have the results after 4 months in the first post on this thread. For example after 4 months, for those applying the rogaine foam, 4.7% had moderate regrowth. If the study were to continue for another 8 months, maybe that number would be a little bit higher. Do you know what I mean now? I can't explain myself better than this so if you haven't understood yet I'm afraid you never will. BTW, what is your level of education?

My level of education is irrelevant. You started a post claiming that the foam is INCREDIBLY ineffective and then conceded that it is perhaps 20% BETTER than the liquid. You've completely contradicted yourself to the point that your initial title and post make absolutely no sense.

What is YOUR level of education?

beaner

Reaction score

philly said:
beaner said:
philly said:
You have the results after 4 months in the first post on this thread. For example after 4 months, for those applying the rogaine foam, 4.7% had moderate regrowth. If the study were to continue for another 8 months, maybe that number would be a little bit higher. Do you know what I mean now? I can't explain myself better than this so if you haven't understood yet I'm afraid you never will. BTW, what is your level of education?

My level of education is irrelevant. You started a post claiming that the foam is INCREDIBLY ineffective and then conceded that it is perhaps 20% BETTER than the liquid. You've completely contradicted yourself to the point that your initial title and post make absolutely no sense.

What is YOUR level of education?

OMG. I've never said that it is 20% better than the liquid. I said that if the study would have continued for another 8 months, the results for the foam would probably have been 20% better than those after 4 months. I have a masters degree. All your replies are trolls trying to discredit all what I'm saying. I bought this study for $30 and am nice enough to tell you the results of it. It's sad you act this way and you should feel ashamed of yourself. I won't bother to reply to any of your future trolls.

Ok I admit I misunderstood your statement now that I re-read it and I apologize, but you still have in no way proved your point. I want to see the full study and not your interpretation of it. I am not a troll, but I don't appreciate when someone starts a thread with a title such as yours, regarding a well respected product that many here use with great success, and refuses to provide any evidence to back it up other than some numbers that you typed. Thanks for your help, but a 4 month study proves nothing. Have a nice day.

:bravo: :bravo: on that master's degree. :innocent:

Nathaniel

Experienced Member
Reaction score

I've been on both the liquid and the foam (rogaine brand, never bothered with generics)....They both work the same, at least for me. The huge advantage of course is that the foam is a freaking miracle to apply compared to that greasy liquid. If you went with liquid for some time you learn to appreciate the foam and I might add that after the development of both minoxidil and finasteride, the foam application has been the best thing ever to come out for hairloss sufferers. But hey I'm getting off topic carry on guys.

beaner

Reaction score

Now the title of the thread has been changed so this whole thread makes no sense..

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score

Nathaniel said:
I've been on both the liquid and the foam (rogaine brand, never bothered with generics)....They both work the same, at least for me. The huge advantage of course is that the foam is a freaking miracle to apply compared to that greasy liquid. If you went with liquid for some time you learn to appreciate the foam and I might add that after the development of both minoxidil and finasteride, the foam application has been the best thing ever to come out for hairloss sufferers. But hey I'm getting off topic carry on guys.

I don't totally understand how liquid COULD be so much more effective than foam. I mean, it's basically the same stuff and the foam should absorb better.

kaner529

Reaction score
I am not saying that the information you posted isn't valid...but come one have some common sense...for whatever reason the study was concluded at 4 months! Thats f-in rediculous...think about it...that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, even though you say the graph says that growth pretty much stops after the 4 month mark. For some people it takes over 6 months to see ANY visible regrowth whatsoever...so in my educated opinion...and limited background in stats...this study should be discounted and no one on this forum should be subjected to this kind of BS!

beaner

Reaction score
philly said:
why do they state on their site: 'Stop use and ask a doctor if you do not see hair regrowth in 4 months' ?

My thoughts on this is you will get better results of you continue for longer but that they won't be significantly better than those after 4 months.

Totally irrelevant. It says the same thing in the pamphlet for the liquid. Wow, you're just grasping at straws now, interpreting things in your own little way to support your foam bashing crusade.

Tallinn

Reaction score
I believe this kind of information should be free and my university proxy allow me to get the study for free so here the introduction/conclusion:

Background
An alternative to currently marketed topical minoxidil solutions is desirable.

Objective
To assess the efficacy and safety of a new 5% minoxidil topical formulation in a propylene glycol–free foam vehicle in men with androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia).

Methods
This was a 16-week, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of 5% minoxidil topical foam (MTF) in 352 men, 18 to 49 years old. At week 16, 143 subjects continued on an open-label phase to collect 52 weeks of safety information on 5% MTF.

Results
At week 16 compared with baseline, there was a statistically significant increase in (1) hair counts in the 5% MTF group versus placebo (P < .0001) and (2) subjective assessment of improved hair loss condition (P < .0001) in the 5% MTF group versus placebo. The 5% MTF was well tolerated over a 52-week period.

Limitations
There was no collection of efficacy data beyond 16 weeks.

Conclusions
We believe that 5% MTF is a safe and effective treatment for men with Androgenetic Alopecia.

Abbreviations: AEs, adverse events; Androgenetic Alopecia, androgenetic alopecia; FDA, Food and Drug Administration; GPR, global photographic review; MPHL, male pattern hair loss; MTF, minoxidil topical foam; MTS, minoxidil topical solution; OTC, over the counter; PK, pharmacokinetic; TAHC, target area hair count

conclusion:
Delivery of topical medications into the scalp is challenging. To be effective, (1) a majority of the medication must be delivered to the scalp, and medication lost on the hair or surrounding skin must be minimized; (2) the drug must be readily released from the vehicle; and (3) the drug must penetrate either the epidermis/outer root sheath of the infundibulum and/or the follicular canal and the protective layers that surround the hair shaft. Moreover, to ensure compliance, the medication must be cosmetically acceptable, especially if it is to be used daily and long term. This means it should be quick to dry, nongreasy, and should not affect the integrity of the hair by making it dry or brittle. Ideally, the constituents of the vehicle should themselves be nonirritating and of low allergic potential.

Since 1997, 5% MTS has been available OTC. GPR documents hair growth in 54% to 62% of men with Hamilton-Norwood pattern IIIv, IV, and V after 48 weeks of 5% MTS.12 However, the novel foam vehicle utilized in this study appears to offer certain advantages over the solution vehicle, including the absence of propylene glycol (a potential irritant), the ability to limit spread beyond the intended application site, and less time to dry after application. Its enhanced cosmetic acceptability may also increase compliance with treatment, increasing the overall results with topical minoxidil. The mean increase at 16 weeks in both absolute TAHC and the change in TAHC relative to baseline was statistically significant (P < .001) between 5% MTF and placebo (20.9 vs 4.7 nonvellus hairs and 13.4% vs 3% total nonvellus hairs, respectively). Subjects on 5% MTF noted a mean 70.6% increase in hair growth versus 42.4% of subjects on placebo.

The incidence of pruritus with 5% MTF was 1.1% versus 6% seen in a separate trial of 5% MTS.12 Overall, the incidence of irritation seen at baseline actually decreased during the study with both the foam vehicle and 5% MTF.

We conclude that the new 5% MTF preparation is a safe and effective treatment for MPHL

Primex

Established Member
Reaction score
Tallinn said:
I believe this kind of information should be free and my university proxy allow me to get the study for free so here the introduction/conclusion:

Background
An alternative to currently marketed topical minoxidil solutions is desirable.

Objective
To assess the efficacy and safety of a new 5% minoxidil topical formulation in a propylene glycol–free foam vehicle in men with androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia).

Methods
This was a 16-week, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of 5% minoxidil topical foam (MTF) in 352 men, 18 to 49 years old. At week 16, 143 subjects continued on an open-label phase to collect 52 weeks of safety information on 5% MTF.

Results
At week 16 compared with baseline, there was a statistically significant increase in (1) hair counts in the 5% MTF group versus placebo (P < .0001) and (2) subjective assessment of improved hair loss condition (P < .0001) in the 5% MTF group versus placebo. The 5% MTF was well tolerated over a 52-week period.

Limitations
There was no collection of efficacy data beyond 16 weeks.

Conclusions
We believe that 5% MTF is a safe and effective treatment for men with Androgenetic Alopecia.

Abbreviations: AEs, adverse events; Androgenetic Alopecia, androgenetic alopecia; FDA, Food and Drug Administration; GPR, global photographic review; MPHL, male pattern hair loss; MTF, minoxidil topical foam; MTS, minoxidil topical solution; OTC, over the counter; PK, pharmacokinetic; TAHC, target area hair count

conclusion:
Delivery of topical medications into the scalp is challenging. To be effective, (1) a majority of the medication must be delivered to the scalp, and medication lost on the hair or surrounding skin must be minimized; (2) the drug must be readily released from the vehicle; and (3) the drug must penetrate either the epidermis/outer root sheath of the infundibulum and/or the follicular canal and the protective layers that surround the hair shaft. Moreover, to ensure compliance, the medication must be cosmetically acceptable, especially if it is to be used daily and long term. This means it should be quick to dry, nongreasy, and should not affect the integrity of the hair by making it dry or brittle. Ideally, the constituents of the vehicle should themselves be nonirritating and of low allergic potential.

Since 1997, 5% MTS has been available OTC. GPR documents hair growth in 54% to 62% of men with Hamilton-Norwood pattern IIIv, IV, and V after 48 weeks of 5% MTS.12 However, the novel foam vehicle utilized in this study appears to offer certain advantages over the solution vehicle, including the absence of propylene glycol (a potential irritant), the ability to limit spread beyond the intended application site, and less time to dry after application. Its enhanced cosmetic acceptability may also increase compliance with treatment, increasing the overall results with topical minoxidil. The mean increase at 16 weeks in both absolute TAHC and the change in TAHC relative to baseline was statistically significant (P < .001) between 5% MTF and placebo (20.9 vs 4.7 nonvellus hairs and 13.4% vs 3% total nonvellus hairs, respectively). Subjects on 5% MTF noted a mean 70.6% increase in hair growth versus 42.4% of subjects on placebo.

The incidence of pruritus with 5% MTF was 1.1% versus 6% seen in a separate trial of 5% MTS.12 Overall, the incidence of irritation seen at baseline actually decreased during the study with both the foam vehicle and 5% MTF.

We conclude that the new 5% MTF preparation is a safe and effective treatment for MPHL

So I'm assuming this is good for the foam, right?

beaner

Reaction score
Primex said:
So I'm assuming this is good for the foam, right?

Well, this whole thread was meant to discredit the efficacy of the foam, but so far no one has produced any evidence of this, including the above study, so that sounds like a logical conclusion to me.

beaner

Reaction score
philly said:
beaner, for god's sake, buy the f****** study and read it before writing rubbish on this web site.

Post the f*****g study before making claims that you refuse to back up. Until you do so, everything that YOU wrote is rubbish. I'm done.

Cassin

Reaction score
I hope Bryan breaks this down.

But I caution to never believe everything until you see a study. For now we have to take Philly at his word but no offense Philly, until we see the whole thing we can't fully accept this.

I understand you not wanting to break copyright, thats fine.

Eventually it will get posted somewhere though. We will just have to wait until then.