Rogaine dependant hair.

TheOliviaTremorControl

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay, say i'm on Rogaine and propecia, and I just use rogaine for say, half a year, just to thicken up my hairline. After my hairline has thickened, would it be okay to stop Rogaine if I was still on propecia? I've heard that rogaine-grown hair is dependant upon rogaine to keep growing.

I guess the root of my question is as follows:
Propecia works well for maintenance. If I say go from a norwood 2 to a norwood 1 on Propecia/Rogaine, and then stop the Rogaine, will the propecia still maintain the hair grown with rogaine?

Thanks a bunch.

Private Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
most likely you drop certain amount of hair grow by rogaine. if you are happy with the result, you can use just once per day rather then stopping it totally with is a bad move.

anyway, consider yourself very luck to response so well to propecia and rogaine.

TheOliviaTremorControl

Established Member
Reaction score
I haven't started Propecia or Rogaine yet... I plan to, these are just what-if scenario's.

SarcasticHorse

Reaction score
When I was prescribed Propecia this summer, my doctor told me to add Minoxidil at some point and then use it for 6 months. He said that anything beyond that doesn't do a lot and the Propecia would maintain minoxidil-stimulated hairs after dropping minoxidil.

However, he is NOT a dermatologist, just a physician, so I don't know how accurate this is.

I would say use minoxidil and propecia for at least a year...you can get minoxidil pretty cheap so its definately worth it. Gauge your results and then maybe downgrade to using minoxidil once a day for another 6 months or so, then maybe give it a try with just the propecia.

Its a b**ch of a slow process, but could end up being very worth it.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Once you stop using Minoxidil you WILL lose any gains you had. You cannot keep the hairs that you grew on Minoxidil by treatment with Propecia. Won't happen.

3 more posts...

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
You cannot keep the hairs that you grew on Minoxidil by treatment with Propecia. Won't happen.

3 more posts...

Have you seen any studies, or at the very least testimonials, to corroborate this statement? Because I haven't seen any real proof either way.

combforward

Reaction score
joseph49853 said:
Aplunk1 said:
You cannot keep the hairs that you grew on Minoxidil by treatment with Propecia. Won't happen.

3 more posts...

Have you seen any studies, or at the very least testimonials, to corroborate this statement? Because I haven't seen any real proof either way.

For what its worth I started on minoxidil 5% for about a year before adding finasteride. After 8 months of finasteride, I decided to give up on minoxidil due to it being annoying to apply and because I thought I was getting eczema related side effects from it (aside from the insane scalp irritation I started getting lots of rashes all over my body within a month or two of starting). Anyway, within 4 months of stopping minoxidil my hair has turned to sh*t (its a lot more thin than before) and I'm still constantly shedding (based on the number of hairs I get in the sink after taking a shower. I'm still on finasteride and using the laser comb but I'm thinking that minoxidil was actually doing most of the work... Now I have to decide if I want to start it up again. I'm confident that nothing else is going to keep that minoxidil grown hair except for minoxidil.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
combforward said:
joseph49853 said:
Aplunk1 said:

3 more posts...

For what its worth I started on minoxidil 5% for about a year before adding finasteride. After 8 months of finasteride, I decided to give up on minoxidil due to it being annoying to apply and because I thought I was getting eczema related side effects from it (aside from the insane scalp irritation I started getting lots of rashes all over my body within a month or two of starting). Anyway, within 4 months of stopping minoxidil my hair has turned to $#iT (its a lot more thin than before) and I'm still constantly shedding (based on the number of hairs I get in the sink after taking a shower. I'm still on finasteride and using the laser comb but I'm thinking that minoxidil was actually doing most of the work... Now I have to decide if I want to start it up again. I'm confident that nothing else is going to keep that minoxidil grown hair except for minoxidil.

That's interesting. Thanks for taking the time to post your experiences.

I was actually hoping to stop minoxidil, after some time, and continue taking finasteride. But I might have to reconsider this course of action. Either way, I'll definitely keep everyone posted on the actual results. I'll bet there are quite a few people curious, and under similar circumstances.

combforward

Reaction score
joseph49853 said:
That's interesting. Thanks for taking the time to post your experiences.

I was actually hoping to stop minoxidil, after some time, and continue taking finasteride. But I might have to reconsider this course of action. Either way, I'll definitely keep everyone posted on the actual results. I'll bet there are quite a few people curious, and under similar circumstances.

If I could do it over again, I probably wouldn't have stopped minoxidil completely. I'd slowly ween off of it over the period of few months, e.g. 2x a day->1x a day -> a few times a week -> etc. and try to find the minimum minoxidil app that would provide maintenance w/ minimal side effects. I actually was already doing just that before I stopped completely, and now I kind of regret it because the loss is very apparent (to me at least). But then again, I knew this would happen, so you know... its my own fault.