Rogaine causing long term problems, hypertension, heart rate

robyrobs

Reaction score
This is a forum to discuss the long term problems with Rogaine/ Minoxidil. Here's my story.

When I was 18 I became paranoid about hair loss. I started using Rogaine. Now I'm 25 and have very bad blood pressure problems. I find it strange that I used Rogaine ( A powerful anti-hypertensive/ vasodilator) for 4 years, now I have very bad blood pressure and heart rate problems. I'm healthy so there's no reason for this to be occuring. Just curious if any long term rogaine users have had any blood pressure problems since using Rogaine? If you have had any problems.

How much worse is your blood pressure since using Rogaine?
How long have you been using Rogaine?
Have you had to start on BP meds after the use of Rogaine?

What about long term Rogaine users with no bp problems? Any of them out there?

zossima

Reaction score
Hi there, sorry the hear that, i have been on rogaine for 3 years, it works great!! but i'm also concern about long term side effects.

we could talk, share experiences...

my main concern is dizziness, have you ever felt dizzy or some strange feeling or sensation "in the head" that was caused by rogaine??

are you on 5% or 2% rogaine.

hope to hear from you soon... my e-mail is:
vascoreis@netcabo.pt or msn: vascoking@hotmail.com

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for yourselves, but rest assured in the fact that millions of people have used this drug for 15 - 20 years while its been on the market therefore if serious health effects came from it, it would have been well documented and probably banned.

I feel for you mate, most likely everyone who uses it for a long time and stops will get some side effect as even the smallest amount penetrating into the blood stream is going to effect your blood pressure.

Let us know how it goes, plenty of minoxidil users on board here, some have been using for a long time so hopefully you'll get some good advice.

Cheers

robyrobs

Reaction score
Thanks for your guys replies. I've been posting at different sites just to see if anyone has had problems with BP because of Rogaine. I just want to be able to rule it out. Im glad to hear there are long term Rogaine users out there with no medical problems. Maybe I'm just too stresed out, that's why my bp is pumpin soooo hard!

Anyone other minoxidil users with good/ bad cardio health?

robyrobs

Reaction score
zossima said:
Hi there, sorry the hear that, i have been on rogaine for 3 years, it works great!! but i'm also concern about long term side effects.

we could talk, share experiences...

my main concern is dizziness, have you ever felt dizzy or some strange feeling or sensation "in the head" that was caused by rogaine??

are you on 5% or 2% rogaine.

hope to hear from you soon... my e-mail is:
vascoreis@netcabo.pt or msn: vascoking@hotmail.com

I stopped using Rogaine a couple of years ago because I was having blood prssure problems. I was so scared all of my hair was goin to fall out! It got thinner but I still have a good amount of hair left.

When I was using Rogaine I was using 5% and I do recall feeling light headed. It is actually one of the side effects. minoxidil is a blood pressure lowering drug, so it may be lowering your bp and making you light headed. That might mean minoxidil is being absorbed into your blood stream.
If your concerned about minoxidil absorbing into your blood stream I would make sure not apply minoxidil on a wet scalp it increases the absorbtion rate. If your really concerned about absorbing minoxidil into your blood stream u may want to use 2% instead. But I would talk to your Doctor if your really concerned.
Some other things u can do to make sure minoxidil isn't entering your blood stream is to take your BP and heart rate about a half hour after you apply it. If your bp goes down and your heart rate goes up, minoxidil maybe effecting you systemically. But fluctuations are normal for heart rate and bp. So if u put minoxidil on once and chck your heart rate and bp and they change it doesn;t necasarrily mean that minoxidil effected you. You would have to check your bp and heart rate on several different occasions( different applications) to see if it was entering your blood stream.

Do u feel any other minoxidil side effects?
chest pain?.
increased heart rate?
pounding heart?

G

zossima said:

what is dizziness?

sorry, but for us non native english langugage speakers, it's impossible to understand some words like dizziness, or fuzzy or puffy...

what does all that mean???

science-jay

Established Member
Reaction score
GoodGuy said:
zossima said:

what is dizziness?

sorry, but for us non native english langugage speakers, it's impossible to understand some words like dizziness, or fuzzy or puffy...

what does all that mean???

Dizziness is the feeling you have the first couple of seconds when you get out of a roller coaster...

or the feeling you get from to much latenight reading on the HairLossTalk.com-website...

maddoc23

Established Member
Reaction score
Rob,

Rogaine will not cause high BP. Having high BP is relatively common that is typically worsened by being overweight and sedentary. If anything your BP should be lower. While I doubt most people get systemic absorption, if you took the active drug orally you would experience "light-headedness, palpitations(heart pounding), possibly fainting and low BP. Oh and anxiety too can cause high BP.

D

robyrobs

Reaction score
I don't think it's overweight issue. I'm in decent shape. 5'10 185 pds and I work out, and I'm 25 years old. I'm also looking into secondary hypertension. It could be anxiety I'm looking into that aspect as well. I'm just going to look down all avenues to look for an answer, Whether it's Rogaine use, secondary cause of hypertension, essential hypertension, anxiety, or something else.