Rogaine And Ponytail - Is It Safe? Will I Lose The Effect?

DONTWANNAGETBALD

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I'm using Rogaine 5% for 7.5 months now. I have some hair regrowth, it's noticeable on temples.
In the instruction I've read that it's forbidden to do hairstyles like ponytail. I didn't find this information anywhere else.
So is it really unsafe to comb my hair into a ponytail? Will this decrease the effect of Rogaine? Are there any researches?

Last edited:

reuters

Established Member
Reaction score
Why not follow the instructions, if it says it's forbidden than there is a reason behind it.

My brand don't have that info, but it's an Indian generic so doubt they care.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I'm using Rogaine 5% for 7.5 months now. I have some hair regrowth, it'a obvious on temples.
In the instruction I've read that it's forbidden to do hairstyles like ponytail. I didn't find this information anywhere else.
So is it really unsafe to comb my hair into a ponytail? Will this decrease the effect of Rogaine? Are there any researches?

???

As long as you don't have a "tight" pony tail, you won't suffer from traction alopecia.

That's the dumbest instructions I've ever heard. You have to be making this up?

DONTWANNAGETBALD

My Regimen
Reaction score
Alright. So this is what I've read in the instruction (Rogaine 5%, Russian-language version):
(I've translated it from Russian into English):
"This medicament won't be effective when:
-methods of hair care that reqire strong pulling of hair from the skin, such as braiding or ponytail."

So what do you think of this?

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Alright. So this is what I've read in the instruction (Rogaine 5%, Russian-language version):
(I've translated it from Russian into English):
"This medicament won't be effective when:
-methods of hair care that reqire strong pulling of hair from the skin, such as braiding or ponytail."

So what do you think of this?

That's not androgen alopecia. That's traction alopecia, a completely different
type of baldness.

That requires a hairstyle that PULLS the hair (cornrows, dreadlocks).

Long hair DOES NOT CAUSE TRACTION ALOPECIA. It has to be a man bun,
or extra weight added on by the hairstyle.

You should not put your hair in a tight pony tail. It happens with women as well.

So, Minoxidil will not save hair from traction alopecia.

It will only help androgen alopecia (male pattern baldness).

DONTWANNAGETBALD

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is traction alopecia:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4905758/Woman-suffered-alopecia-long-flowing-hair.html

More likely, you are not suffering from this, unless you pull your hair in a pony tail or
man bun (possibly).

Hope this helps you.
Thank you very much! Actually, I realize that androgen alopecia and traction alopecia are different.
But the idea is, as I understand, that pulling the hair from the skin somehow decreases the effectiveness of Rogaine in treating androgen alopecia.
What do you think?

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you very much! Actually, I realize that androgen alopecia and traction alopecia are different.
But the idea is, as I understand, that pulling the hair from the skin somehow decreases the effectiveness of Rogaine.
What do you think?

You're not crazy, because my Rogaine bottle says the same thing. It
just got lost in the Russian translation.

Russia has very cold weather. If I lived there, I would grow my hair really
long.

I had hair down to my waist before. And I use Minoxidil to grow my hair long faster.

Last edited:

DONTWANNAGETBALD

My Regimen
Reaction score
You're not crazy, because my Rogaine bottle says the same thing. It
just got lost in the Russian translation.

Russia has very cold weather. If I lived there, I would grow my hair really
long.

I had hair down to my waist before. And I use Minoxidil to grow my hair long faster.

So what does your Rogaine bottle say?

Actually, in my instruction the "not to make a ponytail" item is in the list of forbidden things when using Rogaine such as "don't use a hair dryer soon after applying Rogaine" or "Don't wash your head 4 hours after applying Rogaine".
There's also another list that says that Rogaine is not efficient when treating postpartum hairloss, HAIR LOSS CAUSED BY PONYTAILS/BRAIDING and etc.
So it is logical to place the "not to make a ponytail" item in the 1st list if pulling the hair from the skin somehow decreases the effectiveness of Rogaine in treating androgen alopecia.

Also growing long hair in Russian climate really rocks! The only minus is that it's really windy in my region and you have to comb your hair somehow or it'll fly like in a nightmare :)

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
So what does your Rogaine bottle say?

Actually, in my instruction the "not to make a ponytail" item is in the list of forbidden things when using Rogaine such as "don't use a hair dryer soon after applying Rogaine" or "Don't wash your head 4 hours after applying Rogaine".
There's also another list that says that Rogaine is not efficient when postpartum hairloss, HAIR LOSS CAUSED BY PONYTAILS/BRAIDING and etc.
So it is logical to place the "not to make a ponytail" item in the 1st list if pulling the hair from the skin somehow decreases the effectiveness of Rogaine in treating androgen alopecia.

It got lost in the translation, that's all.

Mine says it will not work for hair that has been lost due to cornrows.

I used to take Rogaine, which was the equivalent of UpJohn's Minoxidil in the United States (company
that started the product).

Minoxidil only gives temporary results, although it is good for growing your hair fast.

I would imagine Russia doesn't have a lot of guys with clipper haircuts (buzzcuts/crewcuts), since the
weather is extremely cold. (Am I wrong?).

I'm growing my hair down to my shoulders (right now it's very short, 1.25 centimeters all over, but I showed
it in a thread).

DONTWANNAGETBALD

My Regimen
Reaction score
It got lost in the translation, that's all.

Mine says it will not work for hair that has been lost due to cornrows.

I used to take Rogaine, which was the equivalent of UpJohn's Minoxidil in the United States (company
that started the product).

Minoxidil only gives temporary results, although it is good for growing your hair fast.

I would imagine Russia doesn't have a lot of guys with clipper haircuts (buzzcuts/crewcuts), since the
weather is extremely cold. (Am I wrong?).

I'm growing my hair down to my shoulders (right now it's very short, 1.25 centimeters all over, but I showed
it in a thread).

Alright, thanks for answering!
Yep, I know that Rogaine effect is temporary. Currently I'm thinking of adding finasteride.

You can check my thread if you wanna to:
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...ince-17-rogaine-progress.112013/#post-1624682
I gonna update it in a week with new photos.

So, in Russia there are a lot of people with buzz cuts, especially in ghettos. The weather depends on the region, it's really cold only in Siberia and some other regions with little population. For example, in my city it can be -20C at winter (+ strong winds) and +25-30C in July. Crazy, huh?)

Good luck in growing your hair! Currently I'm having this "to-shoulders" lengths, and it feels extremely natural and comfortable.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@DONTANNAGETBALD\

You definitely have a good hairline. I did look at your pictures.

Your hair grows so f*****g fast. I can't believe it's only six months.

In MY OWN OPINION (NOT FACT), I do think you have DIFFUSE thinning.

That said, your hairline is good. I don't think you have any hairline recession
at all.

DONTWANNAGETBALD

My Regimen
Reaction score
@DONTANNAGETBALD\

You definitely have a good hairline. I did look at your pictures.

Your hair grows so f*****g fast. I can't believe it's only six months.

If you're talking about the restoration of the hairline - yes, I probably see some effect.
If you're speaking about hair length - hmm, it took me 1.5 years to go from buzz cut to shoulder-length, and I had one big cut on the way (from chin-length to classical 50's hairstyle).
In MY OWN OPINION (NOT FACT), I do think you have DIFFUSE thinning.

That said, your hairline is good. I don't think you have any hairline recession
at all.
Yep, I'm thinking of the diffuse thinning for now. How do I check it and how to treat it?

About hairline - the right temple is deeper and the hair destiny in Rogaine-regrowed places is still poor. There is definetely some recession - at 17 years old the hairline in the temples was better. Anyway, it's quite good, but NW0 would be definetely better :)

Thank you very much for such useful replies!

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil works really great when we first start losing our hair.

Use Minoxidil on the vertex, AND THE hairline as well.

Also, if you use Finasteride, you will see better results, and at a much
faster pace.

Minoxidil results usually last around five years (slow down the balding process), at most.

The effects are temporariy, without Finasteride or some anti androgen.

DONTWANNAGETBALD

My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil works really great when we first start losing our hair.

Use Minoxidil on the vertex, AND THE hairline as well.

Also, if you use Finasteride, you will see better results, and at a much
faster pace.

Minoxidil results usually last around five years (slow down the balding process), at most.

The effects are temporariy, without Finasteride or some anti androgen.

Yep, I'm currently using Rogaine (from the very beginning of the treatment) on the full upper part of my head, including hairline.

So, the treatment for the diffuse thinning is the same - Rogaine and Finasteride, right?

Also, how to check if I really have duffuse thinning? How to check if it's patterned or unpatterned?

Last edited:

dr dhananjay

My Regimen
Reaction score
It is good to see you are getting an effect after using Rogaine, you can continue with Rogaine. So as you must be knowing minoxidil topical lotion is the FDA approved lotion used to control hair fall, it is used in both male and female pattern of hair fall, It is used to preserve the existing hair even it is advised post hair transplant surgery for the growth of transplanted hair.

As per the studies conducted and researchers are done on the absorption of minoxidil, it has been noted that the absorption of minoxidil in 1 hour after an application is about 30% to 40%

After 4 hours the absorption is about 60% to 75 %, and in 8 hours time, its absorption is almost 80 -90%. So ideally it is advised to keep minoxidil for 8 hours for good results or good action of the medicine.

As per your 1st question, Yes, Minoxidil is definitely safe lotion.

Here is the answer to your 2nd question, When it comes to losing the effect of minoxidil, Yes, it is possible to lose effect after tapering minoxidil. Because minoxidil helps to increase the duration of your hair to stay intact with your scalp by increasing duration of anagen phase (growth phase) & it also increases the size of a hair follicle. Therefore, definitely, you are not going to lose its effect until the time you will use Minoxidil.

Here is an answer to the 3rd query, As per your query what I understood, you need to know can I do a different hairstyle like ponytail?

Basically, minoxidil is adviced to apply on scalp not on hair strands or shaft, after application, you must have notices the amount i.e 1 ml is sufficient to cover the scalp area and within 20 to 30 minutes it gets dry without any efforts of drying it manually. So after 20-30 minutes post-application it is safe to do any hairstyle/ponytail. The hairstyle will not hamper the results of minoxidil.

So after application let the lotion get dried up on our scalp properly it will take minimum 20 to 30 minutes for the lotion to absorb on scalp then you can do whatever you like.

Even at night time application let it dry then you can go to bed , or sometimes immediately after application few people go the sleep so it may get absorbed on bed or pillow and can get in contact with your face or ears, so it may lead to excess facial hair growth , so mostly it is adviced to dry up the minioxidil properly after application then u can do your daily routine.

Also wash your hands post application of minioxidil.

Minoxidil is good if you use for your new hair growth , and there is no direct relation between use of Minoxidil and Hair Style. Regarding Ponytail due to thight ponytail patient tent to have traction alopecia, it is completely different from androgenetic alopecia. keeping pony tail everytime for longer duration will definitely lead to traction alopecia.

Here is answer for your last question, yes it is really unsafe to comb hair in ponytail, because again it will lead to more traction to your hair.

DONTWANNAGETBALD

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello!
Thank you very much for your answer. Actually, you hav misunderstood the 1st and the 2nd questions:
1) Is the treatment for diffuse thinning the same as for Androgenetic Alopecia? (Minoxidil + Finasteride)
2) How can I check if I have diffuse thinning? Maybe some kind of a medical test? And how can I check if it's patterned or unpatterned?
(I understand that it's obvious on late stages)
And once again, thank you for the answer for the 3rd question!

MrSlater

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would be careful with minoxidil if i were you since it has been known to contract your hydrated collagen lattices. In short, possible to cause premature aging. Was on it for 6 months and skin went to poop, since quitting my skin has greatly improved; thank god! Plus hair growth from rogaine is low quality, more like baby hair. Consuming oral castro oil and topically applying while derma stamping and rolling would be a better approach imo. If youre serious about regrowth and maintenance would recommend a pgd2 receptor activation blocker. As for finasteride, would recommend a high quality topical finasteride with minimal systematic affects; trying to keep your levels below the equivalent amount of taking an oral dose of .05 per day, which would greatly decrease your chances of any side from finasteride.