Rogaine alone or together with Propecia?

frontal

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've used Propecia tablets in 2003...for 4 months...nothing.

Now planning to try rogaine foam 5%.

Can I use Rogaine alone and no other products with it?

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes you can but it would obviously be more effective as part of a combination treatment.

frontal

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Tried Propecia Finestride tablets alone for 3 months in 2003...no results.
Tried Head Way minoxidil 5%...also no result.

Planning for Rogaine foam 5% now.

Also, Propecia has three(3) differ types...finestride, proscar and fincar.
Differ types differ results?

Me:
31 years old.

dsc01874hg7.jpg

dresden

Established Member
Reaction score
Both combined should work much better than one alone bc they work in different ways! You say you were on propecia for 4 months, thats not long enough to expect any result. stick with whatever treatment you choose for one year to evaluate progress.

Propecia has 1 mg of finstaride in each pill.
Proscar has 5 mg. You should take only 1 mg a day, but you can buy proscar and divide each pill into quarters or fifths and save a lot of money.
fincar is the generic version of proscar.
All types should give you about the same results because youre always taking 1 mg of finasteride a day.

G

frontal said:
I've used Propecia tablets in 2003...for 4 months...nothing.

Now planning to try rogaine foam 5%.

Can I use Rogaine alone and no other products with it?

You need to use these things for AT LEAST 1 year to get sufficient regrowth results.

frontal

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I see.
1 year?
The problem is...the medication is soo expensive in my country (RM200)
USD 1 = RM3.9

dresden said:
Both combined should work much better than one alone bc they work in different ways! You say you were on propecia for 4 months, thats not long enough to expect any result. stick with whatever treatment you choose for one year to evaluate progress.

Propecia has 1 mg of finstaride in each pill.
Proscar has 5 mg. You should take only 1 mg a day, but you can buy proscar and divide each pill into quarters or fifths and save a lot of money.
fincar is the generic version of proscar.
All types should give you about the same results because youre always taking 1 mg of finasteride a day.

What if after 1 year++, no result with Propecia?
Consider a failure?

What happens if we took 5mg per day?
Effect our health?

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you think that finasteride hasn't stabilised or at least slowed down your hairloss after a year then you could consider it a failure, I personally think that this is an unlikely scenario. I can see from your picture that you also need reasonable regrowth, minoxidil is what you want for this although if you are a good responder you may also get some from finasteride. This is why they work so well together. If money is an issue then try .5 Proscar each day alongside the minoxidil.

G

frontal,

You have to keep in mind that finasteride (propecia) alone will probably not induce much hair regrowth, if any. It's considered a success around here if you're able to HALT regrowth. Though you may be one of those who responds well to finasteride and will regrow hair.

NO, not after 1 year you deem it be a failure. Sometimes, apparently, it really starts to kick in AFTER 1-year. It all depends on the individual.

You really will not know anyways because if you want serious results you should not be taking finasteride alone but as the Big 3.

Price was a concern to me as it's also very expensive in the U.S. This is why I decided to take a risk, albeit small after doing some research on these sites, and order generic Indian made finasteride from an online pharmacy. I also decided to take a reduced dosage whereas 0.2mg of finasteride has been tested in studies to be up to 90% effect as 1mg. Due to the nature of the 5ar enzyme being inhibited and it's slow regeneration effects, many people take this every other day (EOD) so I decided to as well to further reduce costs (and subsequently probably some effectiveness as well but I wouldn't say a 50% reduction in effectiveness).

You can purchase the generic 5mg versions of finasteride and splitting these up into 1/8th pieces will yield you with 0.625mg dosages of finasteride. The reputable online pharmacies that people here purchase from are inhousepharmacy.com and hairpharmacy.com (where I put mine from was hairpharmacy.com, aka United Pharmacies).

If you stay on this, plus the minoxidil (and Nizoral or Revita shampoo if you can get those) you will probably thicken up the top of the head and regrow some in those areas you receded in too.

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
FairTaxNow said:
frontal,NO, not after 1 year you deem it be a failure. Sometimes, apparently, it really starts to kick in AFTER 1-year. It all depends on the individual.

I haven't heard of ANYONE suddenly responding to finasteride after 12+ months of absolutely nothing.

G

UK1 said:
FairTaxNow said:
frontal,NO, not after 1 year you deem it be a failure. Sometimes, apparently, it really starts to kick in AFTER 1-year. It all depends on the individual.

I haven't heard of ANYONE suddenly responding to finasteride after 12+ months of absolutely nothing.

If a tree falls in a forest, and nobody is there to witness it fall, did the tree really fall? :lol:

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
FairTaxNow said:
UK1 said:
FairTaxNow said:

If a tree falls in a forest, and nobody is there to witness it fall, did the tree really fall? :lol:

The saying is: "If a tree falls in a forest and nobody is around to hear it fall, does it make a sound?".. anyway..
If he takes 1mg of finasteride every day then 12 months should be enough for him to judge whether or not it is worth him continuing.

G

UK1 said:
FairTaxNow said:
UK1 said:
FairTaxNow said:

The saying is: "If a tree falls in a forest and nobody is around to hear it fall, does it make a sound?".. anyway..
If he takes 1mg of finasteride every day then 12 months should be enough for him to judge whether or not it is worth him continuing.

But a blind person would not hear the tree fall UK1!

Again, I've read and heard from people on here where 14-15 months the results really started to kick in. Same thing even with minoxidil for some. You can easily give a general 12-month guideline but the caveat is that it might take longer for some individuals to respond to these things. If he's going to take it for 12 months, might as well just stay on for a few more months to make sure it's not working. Even then, how can someone be SURE it's not working with a visual measure of results?

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have also read of cases where it comes into its own after the 12 month period but those people will have have known that the finasteride was doing something within that time. I said to him that he 'could' consider it a failure if he gave it a full year with no response, I also added that this was unlikely. I thought you might have some examples to show otherwise.

frontal

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I guess I have to start all over again.

USD1 = RM3.9

finasteride in my country cost RM200.

14 months...aargghhh :p

finasteride = 1mg
Proscar = 5mg

I heard that anyone who took proscar needs to cut the tablets to 1mg.
What's the point? Better just buy the finasteride
What happened if we took more than 1mg a day?

dresden

Established Member
Reaction score
frontal, faxtairnow already explained what you should do! propecia is expensive everywhere, not just in your country. thats why you should buy generic in a pharmacy online. The point of buying proscar instead of propecia is because even though they cost the same, proscar has 5 times more finasteride so it will last you 5 times longer.

fincar, for example, thats 30 tablets of 5 mg for 30 dollars. if you divide each tablet in five pieces, you have enough for 5 months. thats 6 dollars a month ( RM 19).

G

dresden,

I guess my post was too long, so the point was lost. Just trying to give details.

frontal said RM so that must be Malaysia. Not too far from where hairpharmacy.com ships from. Frontal is in luck too, they will ship to Malaysia.

You expressed concern for prices so I'm just going to recommend the generic proscars and you can very easily just cut these up, or use a pill splitter and split the pill up into 1/8ths or into 1/4ths very easily. 1/4th gives you 1.25mg and yes you can take over 1mg. Splitting the pill into 1/8ths will give you 0.625mg dosages. If 0.2mg is 90% as effective as 1mg I'm sure 0.625mg will be closer to 100% even.

Here's your choices, it's the same thing just a different Indian pharmaceutical.

http://www.hairpharmacy.com/product_fincar.html

http://www.hairpharmacy.com/product_finast.html

Does anybody know if both of these choices above are ROUND or do they have the funky pair shape that proscar has? I believe the Dr. Reddy's Finast is round from what I recall hearing here, as this is available in the U.S. now as a generic to proscar.

nuttyrich

Established Member
Reaction score
I must chime in here,question is you say no results,obviously you were expecting to grow hair,but halting the hairloss has it halted it? That alone is "working" I know you expect to take a pill and put stuff on the head and expect to get a good head of hair,realistic expectations are needed otherwise you will give up hope and get discouraged... this is JUST my opinion in January of '07 Merck Proscar went Generic here in the U.S,I didn't fill a script because I cut them in 1/4 when I did go to refill I got the generic proscar, these were oblong shaped not like the ones we're used to .. anyways.. I cut them into 4ths as best as I could and thought nothing of it .. about 5 days in I got weird side effects .. and felt just fogged out and just out of it.. by a week I knew this was it.. and was forced to order the Merck Proscar,if you've never taken the Merck proscar.. I'm sure you have nothing to compare it to.. so buying the generic won't matter I know it matters for me.. I have a bottle of generic Proscar with 5 refills.. just laying here now good thing is well.. I can get 30 .. for like $65 split them into 1/4 and still lasts me 120 days,this is JUST ME I have no way of gauging if there is a difference in efficency .. but for side effects YES BIG difference,again I was on Proscar by Merck for over 4 years .. so I felt the difference and I went into this without knowing or checking anything I went by the way I felt not by whats on the board! I say stick with the proscar and the rogaine give it another 2-3 months... they say 4 months but after 6 you can really say "it doesn't work" with proscar/propecia.. I don't believe there is a valid time table.. to give up.. I would try applying some retin-a where you need regrowth,then apply the minoxidil about an hour later., I believe the Better question is what did your hair look like before the proscar/rogaine?

All the best,
Rich

nuttyrich

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree go with United Very fast shipping and I believe they are based in HONG KONG and I got my package is less than a week here in NY!,that is quicker than ups ground from cali to NY or postal from cali to NY! I'm glad I used them used them 3 times already!

Good luck,
Rich

frontal

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks.

FairTaxNow said:
dresden,

I guess my post was too long, so the point was lost. Just trying to give details.

frontal said RM so that must be Malaysia. Not too far from where hairpharmacy.com ships from. Frontal is in luck too, they will ship to Malaysia.

You expressed concern for prices so I'm just going to recommend the generic proscars and you can very easily just cut these up, or use a pill splitter and split the pill up into 1/8ths or into 1/4ths very easily. 1/4th gives you 1.25mg and yes you can take over 1mg. Splitting the pill into 1/8ths will give you 0.625mg dosages. If 0.2mg is 90% as effective as 1mg I'm sure 0.625mg will be closer to 100% even.

Here's your choices, it's the same thing just a different Indian pharmaceutical.

http://www.hairpharmacy.com/product_fincar.html

http://www.hairpharmacy.com/product_finast.html

Does anybody know if both of these choices above are ROUND or do they have the funky pair shape that proscar has? I believe the Dr. Reddy's Finast is round from what I recall hearing here, as this is available in the U.S. now as a generic to proscar.

Thanks.

I did ask one pharmacy about Proscar.
They said they will call me back.
If it cost more than RM200 and exceed hairpharmacy.com prices, then I'll buy from hairpharmacy.com.

Wah...too many product names
Avodart
Azelex
Diane 35
Duprost
Dutas
Finast
Finax
Fincar
Finpecia
Fistide
Propecia
Proscar
Prosmin
Regaine
Headway
Nizoral
Retin-A
Retinova
Pregaine
Skinoren
Spironolactone

Generic Proscar...finast...fincar.
Why do they make differ products?
What if the one that I bought at the pharmacy were not generic?

Fincar and Finast were so cheap compare to Proscar huh?
USD33 for 30 tablets. (How much in RM nett?)
Proscar is USD75 for 30 tablets.
Surely in RM would be RM200++.

I'll buy a pill splitter for it.

1/8ths can last for a year...hehe.
Very economic.

Let me know when hairpharmacy.com shipped to Malaysia.
I might buy Rogaine foam too if the price is good.

I assume you (Mr. FairTaxNow) worked with hairpharmacy.com?

xodcbox

Reaction score
Yes rogain alone !! FOAM ! It works! I had never even heard or used any of the pills, medications that so many people on this site use . I saw the rogain foam ad on tv. Bought it. and Bam! 7 months later I got hair on my head!!! Yes lots and lots of shedding. A month in half of shedding sacrifice.Very awfull I was scared as hell ! Thanx to rogain I gotta girlfriend she loves my hair! Im 34 yrs old.