Rogaine - 9 week results

tohair

Reaction score
So -

i have FRONTAL thinning, and after 9 years on finasteride, i've started 5% rogaine twice a day.

8 weeks into it, and there's NOTHING.

Is there any reason to suspect that something might happen? How long should I really have to wait - i've been told anywhere from 8 weeks to 12 months. i have applied it without fail since the day i started.

I really don't want to have to get plugs. But the frontal thinning is not impressive.

any comments or help guys?

thanks

drinkrum

Reaction score
9 years of finasteride. You've got me beat by a factor of two. How's it been working out for you for 9 years? Any side effects?

D.

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
So how long ago did you front start to thin out while you were on Propecia? Was you front thin to begin with or did it just thin out recently?

tohair

Reaction score
yes, 9 years. Any my crown has come back to normal (it was thin!) and it's held pretty steady.

I've just lost a bit on the temples in the last year or so - more than i care to.

BTW - has anyone tried the American Crew products with cp? Any luck?

Oh, i've also been using nism shampoo for 10 years probably. It stopped my hair loss, but didn't regrow anything.

And yes, i was a test subject for finasteride...

but when should i see something with the 5% minoxidil? anyone?

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Wow, im glad to hear your results. It usually takes 4-6 months to see a improvement using 5% minoxidil. I started about 4-5 month ago and saw little hairs popping up within my hairline in about 1 month into it. It's a slow process because it takes 3 months for your hair to cycle and regrow thicker. I started using a product called Xandrox 15 which is 15% Minoxidil about 1 month ago and i see even more of an improvement on the hairline. You can get it at http://www.minoxidil.com . I'm not saying it's more effective than 5% rogaine but i've had better results with it. Also how were your side effects while taking Propecia?

tohair

Reaction score
I had no side effects at all when i started propecia. That i can recall.

Thanks for the advice, and your experience. I'm going to stick with it for another 3-4 months, and see what happens. I'm actually using a no-name 5%, but that doesn't really seem to matter. Or maybe it does.

I dunno! I just want my hair back.

thanks again

johnboy

Reaction score
9 Years. Wow. I have some questions of my own.

Was this a prostate related issue, when you started taking it or were you taking it because of hair loss.

Was the hair loss generalized thinning all over,(crown, vertex, temples) or was it a specific area?

Finally how has your progress been in maintaining. I dont expect you to have gained back significant hair but it seems like since you have been on for 9 years you have had good results. Please reply

tohair

Reaction score
no, i started it for my hair. i was 24, and was introduced to a dr. doing clinical trials.

I have more hair now that when i was 24, with the exception of around my temples. My results were incredible, although it took 9 months for me to respond. in fact, i screwed up the data, because they stopped checking at 8 months. The doctor said i might as well use up what i had left, and wow, after a month i saw new hair.

Fun times indeed

MiddleAgedManiac

Established Member
Reaction score
Taking the plunge

I have been trying to get-by with minoxidil (three months) and Herbals alone, but I think I should probably go get some Propecia. It sounds like it really helped you out and from the sounds of it you didn't have sides.

I have lost about 50% of my temple and crown hair over the last 6 months. I am 35. I am hoping it's simply a shed and I will recover over the next few months, but I am getting discouraged seeing it disappear so quickly.

tohair

Reaction score
well, i really don't recall 'shedding', but then again this was quite a while ago. But, i can assure you, it took me 9 months to see any changes, but within 1 year i had substantially more hair than when i started.

My dog is 9 years old now, and when i look at pics of us when he was a puppy, i look like an old guy. now i loook like i'm 28 or so, and im actually 34.

good news

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hot damn, Sam I am! 9 years is amazing! You are one luck bastard.

I've been on 3 or so years now and I'm starting to regress. General thinning all over. I WISH I could have held out for 9 years. Thats nuts.

Are you highly active? What kind of food do you eat?

tohair

Reaction score
i'm a lazy sob, who works too much. i try to eat well, and don't eat junk - burgers, fries, candy... but don't take great care of myself otherwise.

From all that i have read, there's really no reason why finasteride shouldn't work for a lifetime. again, this may not apply to everyone, but here's hoping!

lossing my hair

Established Member
Reaction score
finally i read a good post of Propecia. I only wish it works with me the same as you Tohair. Did you have thinning on mid Frontal scalp also?
Give rogaine at least 3 to 6 month. In any hair loss treatment it's recommended to give it a full year to see it's full effectiveness.

Idaho X

Reaction score
tohair said:
BTW - has anyone tried the American Crew products with cp? Any luck?

I have been using the AC copper peptide spray for about a month. I've not had any regrowth, but I think it has made my hair healthier. It is good stuff. The individual hairs look thicker and darker and it has cleared up the skin on my forehead. When I run out I'm going to try Folligen to see if a stronger copper formula is better.

phantom2x

Established Member
Reaction score
i have been on propecia for two and half months now. i did not notice any kind improvement.
now i am going through a bad flaky and itch scalp which i didn't had before. how should i stop this. is propecia causing this. is it a good sign or a bad sign.
any one gone through this before.

pbz

Established Member
Reaction score
phantom2x said:
i have been on propecia for two and half months now. i did not notice any kind improvement.
now i am going through a bad flaky and itch scalp which i didn't had before. how should i stop this. is propecia causing this. is it a good sign or a bad sign.
any one gone through this before.

2.5 months is not nearly enough to see any results from Finasteride. If it works, you will maintain what you have in the long run, but might experience some strange effects in the beginning.

If it works perfectly, it will make each individual hair thicker - but only by a small bit each growth cycle (each ~3 month), so it is possible that it might take up to two years before noticing anything.

MiddleAgedManiac

Established Member
Reaction score
bailing

LMH - I am considering stopping minoxidil after 4 months and going to Zix. You think I should wait? At the rate I am going I won't have anything left on top in 6 more months!
I'm going to a derm on Tuesday. I'll see what he thinks.

tohair

Reaction score
ah, no. I really don't go around taking pictures of my hair.

But to give you an idea - my crown is completely full, no thinning at all. between the crown and the hairline is dicy from time to time - but mostly full. but my temples have receeded, um... an inch maybe.

With a bad haircut, i get the david letterman "v" look. not pretty

too bald too furious

Experienced Member
Reaction score
tohair said:
ah, no. I really don't go around taking pictures of my hair.

But to give you an idea - my crown is completely full, no thinning at all. between the crown and the hairline is dicy from time to time - but mostly full. but my temples have receeded, um... an inch maybe.

With a bad haircut, i get the david letterman "v" look. not pretty

Your hair is like david letterman?? :freaked2:

Do u mean with a bad hair cut you get a "U" look

V is still better than U. :roll: