Rogaine 4 times a week ?

NOMORELOSS

Reaction score
Hello
I am starting to fight hairloss .
Going to take propecia and adding rogaine to it as well.
My immediate questions are :

1-Is it okay i i only use 4 or 5 times a week ? (i have a very intense social life and cannot do use it twice a day or if my girlfriend sleeps over for example ). Would this be more harm than good ?
(i know optimal results is twice a day , but still wondering if anyone had good results with a lesser frequency of use . I heard the smell and the way your hair looks after applying is REALLY BAD )

2- How to decide between the 2% and 5% ?

3-If i start now and later on i quit , will i suffer from any major shedding problems ? Basically i am wondering if the system would suffer a major impact if rogaine is disconnected .

4-Whats your view on the foam version of rogaine ? Anyone using it ?

Thanks guys !

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The smell of minoxidil isn't bad at all; although, I hear the foam version is a lot more intense smelling. And while minoxidil has the potential to make your hair greasy, only if you let it accumulate, and shampoo less often. And the jury is still out on the foam version. While studies have shown it to be more effective than the liquid, it's too early for any real world experiences.

If you're a male, I would simply purchase the 5% version... any generic version will do. The 2% is mostly recommended for females. And you could probably get away with using minoxidil only 5-6 times a week, simply for maintenance. Although, I personally use it once a day, and have realized great results. You could always apply it just before going to sleep, and then upon waking -- 8 hours later -- shampoo it off, and you're good to go.

BTW, the hair you gain using minoxidil will become dependant on its continued usage. In other words, you'll lose any hair gained upon stopping minoxidil. But really, in a few months, after developing a routine, you'll find applying minoxidil as easy, necessary, and painless as brushing your teeth. I hardly even think about it any longer.

Good luck.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
You won't have a problem if you use the foam. Everyone has 2 minutes - I reject your "no time" excuse...even if you're using the liquid version.

Just FYI - the foam dries in less than a minute. It doesn't leave your hair greasy. The only downside is a bit of a "fresh" scent... but it dissipates fairly quickly.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hairwegoagain said:
You won't have a problem if you use the foam. Everyone has 2 minutes - I reject your "no time" excuse...even if you're using the liquid version.

I don't reject it. I don't even find it an excuse. There are some people who really don't have the time, who are overly ambitious with many commitments. I barely even have time to watch television, or listen to music in a meaningful way. But that only means you need to find the time for those things you find important. That's the area where your and my messages would be a lot more helpful to the original poster.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
joseph49853 said:
hairwegoagain said:

I don't reject it. I don't even find it an excuse. There are some people who really don't have the time, who are overly ambitious with many commitments. I barely even have time to watch television, or listen to music in a meaningful way. But that only means you need to find the time for those things you find important. That's the area where your and my messages would be a lot more helpful to the original poster.

If someone can't figure out for themselves how to squeak in 2 minutes, then neither you nor I can do much to help. I think we can all agree that we all find the time to take an impromptu sh*t or two every day. That event is usually not written in pen on our calendars...but somehow we manage to get it done. So yes, I reject that someone does not have time to apply Rogaine. One may find it inconvenient, which is among many 100% valid reason for not using it...but not having time? Sorry, no one is so important that they don't have 2 free waking minutes.

Strat54

Established Member
Reaction score
You could apply the foam while you take a pee.
It's quick and easy to apply.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hairwegoagain said:
If someone can't figure out for themselves how to squeak in 2 minutes, then neither you nor I can do much to help. I think we can all agree that we all find the time to take an impromptu $#iT or two every day. That event is usually not written in pen on our calendars...but somehow we manage to get it done. So yes, I reject that someone does not have time to apply Rogaine. One may find it inconvenient, which is among many 100% valid reason for not using it...but not having time? Sorry, no one is so important that they don't have 2 free waking minutes.

Either someone thinks they're too important, or not good enough. But you make all the assumptions you want. Certainly there are people with plenty of time on their hands. And I'll try to continue trying to provide helpful information. Meanwhile, this dude's post sat for more than a week before receiving an answer... so perhaps he's long gone by now anyway.

misterium

Reaction score
When I hear people (in general) say, "I don't have time" ..

My reply is always "TELL IT TO THE MARINES!"

.. or those people who "don't have time" before work,
"SET YOUR ALARM EARLIER!"

NYVic20

Established Member
Reaction score
lol, 2 min, you male pattern baldness guys should consider yourselves lucky, it takes me 20-30 min, since I apply it to my whole scalp.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
NYVic20 said:
lol, 2 min, you male pattern baldness guys should consider yourselves lucky, it takes me 20-30 min, since I apply it to my whole scalp.

True. Someone with a bald spot will have an easier time than a diffuse thinner. Being a diffuse thinner myself, it takes me around 5 minutes on average to apply minoxidil, and four times that amount to make my hair look presentable. I also have medium cropped hair, so the foam isn't as practical for me. Although, I will consider giving it a try in the future.

However, if you haven't experienced any major sides on minoxidil and finasteride, and not only have time for a complex 10-pronged hairloss approach, but still manage to preen and style your hair every morning, good for you. And consider yourself lucky. And realize that not everyone has been as lucky or fortunate. That's all.

NYVic20

Established Member
Reaction score
It takes me 20-30 min to JUST apply minoxidil since my hair is 3 inches long, and I just comb my hair after, don't have time to style. Also, I think the only one among us that actually uses a 10 pronged approach is collegechemistrystudent lol. :lol: