RiverTown Therapeutics (tested in animals and on seven humans with Androgenetic Alopecia)

luiza

Established Member
Reaction score
Does it create new follicles? If it does easily, it won't matter whether or not they can reawaken the dormant ones.
I think the company that manages to create new follicles will be the best one for high Norwoods. That's why I look forward to seeing what Follica can do.

I'm pretty sure my case isn't Androgenetic Alopecia but some kind of chronic diffuse effluvium telogen since I'm a young woman who is always under huge stress.
Wonder if these treatments will also work for me...

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Does it create new follicles? If it does easily, it won't matter whether or not they can reawaken the dormant ones.
I think the company that manages to create new follicles will be the best one for high Norwoods. That's why I look forward to seeing what Follica can do.

I'm pretty sure my case isn't Androgenetic Alopecia but some kind of chronic diffuse effluvium telogen since I'm a young woman who is always under huge stress.
Wonder if these treatments will also work for me...

Get a biopsy to make sure--you can have both..And if its CTE then it may have a trigger such as a missing nutrient its best to get blood work make sure.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am a little excited about this one because i think the photos were fantastic in my humble opinion.

I wish to know more about them.

If anyone hears anything please share about trials or presentations etc.

luiza

Established Member
Reaction score
Get a biopsy to make sure--you can have both..And if its CTE then it may have a trigger such as a missing nutrient its best to get blood work make sure.

I have and it confirmed I have effluvium telogen but some doctors diagnosed me with Androgenetic Alopecia... All good with my blood, I get it checked at least twice a year.
It started when I was only 15 and it never grew back completely. Now I'm 23 with very thin hair. Looks awful and I can't comb it or get different styles.
Thinking of getting a hair system but it might make the hair loss worse, so i have no idea what to do.

Only thing that makes me hopeful is knowing scientists are working on treatments and cures... Cause I feel like crap every time I go out or look in the mirror :(

I'm hopeful for Follica, Histogen and Tsuji mostly. After seeing these pics I got a bit excited about this one as well but does anyone know if they have enough funds for the trials? Is it easy to contact them?

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have and it confirmed I have effluvium telogen but some doctors diagnosed me with Androgenetic Alopecia... All good with my blood, I get it checked at least twice a year.
It started when I was only 15 and it never grew back completely. Now I'm 23 with very thin hair. Looks awful and I can't comb it or get different styles.
Thinking of getting a hair system but it might make the hair loss worse, so i have no idea what to do.

Only thing that makes me hopeful is knowing scientists are working on treatments and cures... Cause I feel like crap every time I go out or look in the mirror :(

I'm hopeful for Follica, Histogen and Tsuji mostly. After seeing these pics I got a bit excited about this one as well but does anyone know if they have enough funds for the trials? Is it easy to contact them?

What is your ferritin?

luiza

Established Member
Reaction score
What is your ferritin?

I'm not sure since I don't have the results here with me but I eat very well (vegetables, meat, fruit, low sugar and sodium), I take hair supplements, etc.
I'm just very very stressed and I can't control it. I have tried medication and therapy but it hasn't helped much.

Funny thing is my hair is the main cause of my stress, so it's a vicious cycle lol

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not sure since I don't have the results here with me but I eat very well (vegetables, meat, fruit, low sugar and sodium), I take hair supplements, etc.
I'm just very very stressed and I can't control it. I have tried medication and therapy but it hasn't helped much.

Funny thing is my hair is the main cause of my stress, so it's a vicious cycle lol

well check that your ferritin is over 40 or even 70...it's not cause of hair loss but its hard to grow healthy hair if you have lower ferritin when you have hair loss. It will make hair loss treatments work better if ferritin is at a good number. Good is not 'normal' its in some opinion over 70, others over 40.

you can look up studies by Dr Costarellis regarding ferritin and hair loss in women

Just do not treat it on your own with Iron pills--can be toxic you have to do it with a Dr. Find and pint out the study from the journals to take to Dr if you feel they will poo-poo it.

monoid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm very suspicious towards this one, after reading its mechanism (also their bad photos).

http://www.rivertowntherapeutics.com/rt1640/ said:
One drug promotes the growth and migration of new stem cells, one drug promotes the commitment of the follicular stem cells to become new hair and one protects the dermal papilla from the effects of DHT. RT1640 has been formulated to enhance penetration through the skin, to make it available to the hair follicles.

Two of the three active agents in RT1640, cyclosporine A and Minoxidil, are FDA approved and off patent. They are known to be safe for use on the skin, and there are thousands of people-year exposures to these drugs. The third active ingredient in RT1640, is a new chemical entity (NCE) called RT175.

Growth and migration of new stem cells: possibly RT175
Commitment of the follicular stem cells to become new hair: minoxidil?
Protects the dermal papilla from the effects of DHT: ?

I don't see any of these (cyclosporine, minoxidil, RT175) has the ability to protect the DP from the effects of DHT.

kiwipilu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Further...
"The third active ingredient in RT1640, is a new chemical entity (NCE) called RT175. Created by one of the RiverTown co-founders, it has been tested in over 600 humans in FDA sanctioned clinical trials. RT175 has an outstanding safety profile, with no serious adverse events associated with its use."

Now that's interesting but let's wait for the next phase, entertaining part: Regrowth.

jayeffbee

Established Member
Reaction score
Also, one adverse effect of oral ciclosporin is hair growth. This drug is an immunosuppressant. So is some immunological mechanisms actually triggered in Androgenetic Alopecia?
I had a recent bout of alopecia areata on the back of my head, and when I went to the dermatologist he injected corticoids into my scalp to "chase away the white blood cells attacking the follicles", so its possible there's some interaction. 3 months later finally starting to get coverage back. Maybe the body deems them "bad cells" and schedules them for removal at some point?

Not sure… but it would be nice if this would pan out for once.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I do think their is some immune component to Androgenetic Alopecia...I had read a paper about it a while back by an Australian Dermatologist i tried to contact him actually so i probably still have his email...If i find the paper i will post it.
I also read about it on some online text books for dermatology.

Its the theory that 'some' Androgenetic Alopecia is a hybrid with an autoimmune component.

Dave721

Reaction score
The photos seem really suspicious.

http://www.rivertowntherapeutics.com/rt1640/

The before pictures have flash while the afters do not.

Honestly, if they did any beneficial research at all, the photos would not look like this. Its obvious that in one he is standing in front of a room likely in his own restroom. Nothing about this smells good so I would put about 0 faith in this if this is the best they have to show for their work. There are plenty of other promising things with better research behind it.

MoreHairpls

My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly, if they did any beneficial research at all, the photos would not look like this. Its obvious that in one he is standing in front of a room likely in his own restroom. Nothing about this smells good so I would put about 0 faith in this if this is the best they have to show for their work. There are plenty of other promising things with better research behind it.

I wouldn't be so hasty as to jump to that conclusion... they did win “Best In Show” at Mid Atlantic Bio Angels 1st Pitch Life Science Competition..plus theirs actual science and fda sanctioned trials done.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

monoid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you check rivertowns pipeline and gliameds pipeline, you can clearly see that rt175 is gm185. Both have the same therapeutic targets.
Would be great if this works.

http://www.rivertowntherapeutics.com/pipeline/
http://www.gliamed.com/pipeline.php

Interesting GM1485 and RT1640

However I found these depressing news about this molecule GM1485:

La Jolla Pharma acquired GM1485 to be LJP1485: http://www.ddn-news.com/index.php?newsarticle=4934

LJP1485 failed a clinical test:
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/biotech/sdut-bad-test-results-could-finally-sink-la-jolla-pharm-2011may23-story.html said:
La Jolla's lead experimental drug, LJP1485, doesn't appear to work based on preliminary results from a preclinical trial, the company reported Monday in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Tests of the compound, which is targeted for repairing tissue scarring, will not meet the study's endpoints, and any benefit shown over a placebo will not be statistically significant, the company said.

La Jolla in March acquired LJP1485 and other related compounds known as regenerative immunophilin ligands, or RILs, from GliaMed of Framingham, Mass.