Riken's June Press Release On Tsuji's Pre-clinical Trial.

Beowulf

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know we all love Noisette's thread, but things were getting a bit derailed, so here's a copy of Riken's last press release.

Interesting notes:
1. Turns out this has been in development for the past 7 years, I know you hardcore Tsuji fans have been aware of this, but I figured it was still pretty neat.
2. Preclinical testing has begun (or will soon begin), and will finish by the end of the year. It all sounds like very standard stuff that they've seen before in their academic work.
3. Sugimura and Tsuji both left not only their email addresses, but their office addresses as well. I'm a bit behind the times but someone should probably tell that wonderful Japanese fellow who was keeping us updated on all the news a little while back because I'm sure he'll be delighted.

I can't help but wonder if Tsuji by chance has any of his old test subjects around if only for cancer incidence, although I highly doubt it. Does anyone have any info on some of the other recently released Japanese stem cell and what they've done with the whole 5 year incidence cancer stuff?

Attachments

• 98a3d5caabf1c7829941ab2d5caf20f8.pdf
    142.4 KB · Views: 373

Beowulf

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What’s the purpose of this thread?

I didn't see anyone else discussing it, instead there was a debate about public vs private funding, and I imagined we'd be a bit more on top of this.

Plus it's getting lonely around here without InBeforeTheCure.

It's a risk with most regenerative therapies, they did actually address it in the press release, but not why they aren't following the five year rule.

Jake94

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's a risk with most regenerative therapies, they did actually address it in the press release, but not why they aren't following the five year rule.
Oh damn, so basically there is a possible risk of cancer with Tsuji’s hair cloning treatment?

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh damn, so basically there is a possible risk of cancer with Tsuji’s hair cloning treatment?

You're taking and multiplying cells. If you cant control them and they run wild on their own accord you have cancer yes.

Jake94

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're taking and multiplying cells. If you cant control them and they run wild on their own accord you have cancer yes.
Ouch. This concerns me. IF there is a high possibility of cancer from this, I’m out. I’ll just have to wait and see what is said and what the odds are.

Hate da Bt

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Mice live no more than two years, so it's impossible to have a five-year safety evaluation.

Hate da Bt

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
That is why every single germ is to be checked prior to its injection.
The cancer risk, if I remember correctly, was stated to be moderate.
We shall see.

forlorn

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can't they turn the final product into unipotent cells devoid of most stem cell properties?

lemoncloak

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can't they turn the final product into unipotent cells devoid of most stem cell properties?
Then how would the hairs cycle?

Any chance you remember where you read that? I'm not very informed on the topic.

forlorn

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Then how would the hairs cycle?

Any chance you remember where you read that? I'm not very informed on the topic.

I don't see people getting cancer from their native hair. This means that the lab-grown hair follicles have different properties and surely there must be a way to modify them to bear the same risk of developing cancer as normal hair cells - via growth factors or other means.

lemoncloak

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't see people getting cancer from their native hair. This means that the lab-grown hair follicles have different properties and surely there must be a way to modify them to bear the same risk of developing cancer as normal hair cells - via growth factors or other means.
There's no question that there is a way. But they have to be sure cause there's no room for scandals.

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
That is why every single germ is to be checked prior to its injection.
We shall see.

No i agree im sure its minimal. Im sure all the great minds behind this have addressed this stuff. Clinical trials exist for a reason i guess.