right, can you answer this?

hulltras

Reaction score
been off propecia for a month after previously being on it for 2 months. during that two months i was on it my head itched, when i went off it stopped. now on my 6th day of re-starting it my head is itching all over again??!!

what could this possibly mean? it is not psychologial i can assure you and very discomforting.

anyone have anything similar. i use nizoral and l'oreal anti dandruff shampoo and occasionally aloe vera shampoo.

all i know is when i am on propecia my head itches, no matter what shampoo/regime i use. and when i am off it it doesn't.

what is this itching, why is propecia causing this all over itch and what is it a sign of?

thanks

jeffsss

Reaction score
hulltras said:
been off propecia for a month after previously being on it for 2 months. during that two months i was on it my head itched, when i went off it stopped. now on my 6th day of re-starting it my head is itching all over again??!!

what could this possibly mean? it is not psychologial i can assure you and very discomforting.

anyone have anything similar. i use nizoral and l'oreal anti dandruff shampoo and occasionally aloe vera shampoo.

all i know is when i am on propecia my head itches, no matter what shampoo/regime i use. and when i am off it it doesn't.

what is this itching, why is propecia causing this all over itch and what is it a sign of?

thanks

itching is a sign of losing your hair

itch/tingleing = bad news

propecia isnt causing your head to itch, male pattern hairloss is.

Dinzy

Established Member
Reaction score
I cant confirm or deny the above post. Itching without finasteride could be due to DHT causing hairloss, but with finasteride ??. I think you shoudl get an anti-inflamitory shampoo such as Nizoral 2x each week and perhaps Tgel the other days.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
hulltras said:

thanks

Why are you off finasteride?

hulltras

Reaction score
i am now back on propecia hence the itching is starting again.

trust me jeff, the itching only coincides with propecia use. when i am off finasteride it doesnt itch, simple as that.

and to the person suggesting i use nizoral i already am, its makes no difference.

so if itching is a sign of hairloss and propecia is helping cause this itch should i stay off propecia all together??? it makes sense!

misterium

Reaction score
I understand what you mean.. I was thinning and didn't have an itch but when I started Propecia over a year ago.. it's been problematic itching ever sense.. weird.

Who knows though, all I know is that I'm trying to control it.

Nizoral 2x weekly right now.. and Head & Shoulders w/ aloe other days.

Also, Tricomin feels good.. look into that. I need to buy another bottle soon.

hulltras

Reaction score
misterium said:
I understand what you mean.. I was thinning and didn't have an itch but when I started Propecia over a year ago.. it's been problematic itching ever sense.. weird.

Who knows though, all I know is that I'm trying to control it.

Nizoral 2x weekly right now.. and Head & Shoulders w/ aloe other days.

Also, Tricomin feels good.. look into that. I need to buy another bottle soon.

well has propecia worked for you? i can deal with itching if propecia is working, but it seems strange that the itching coincides with propecia usage. surely this isnt right?

perhaps some more experienced users can answer

misterium

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's working or not... I'm still thinning but I'm going to keep taking it anyway.

It's been over a year, but I'm going to keep going up til around next July/August (2 year mark) before I decide to add minoxidil or not.

I may just be shedding. I dunno.. hard to tell, I never took pictures and I just don't care to.

I'm gonna just keep fighting it the best way I know how.

Idaho X

Reaction score
Its funny. I had a minor itch before I started finasteride. That was definitely due to male pattern baldness. After I started taking finasteride the itch got much worse for about 9 months. The last while it is getting back to the pre-drug days.

hulltras

Reaction score
Idaho X said:
Its funny. I had a minor itch before I started finasteride. That was definitely due to male pattern baldness. After I started taking finasteride the itch got much worse for about 9 months. The last while it is getting back to the pre-drug days.

so how is our itch now? has finasteride worked for you? strikes me that those that get bad itches whilst on finasteride are those that dont respond?

nohairnodandruff

Established Member
Reaction score
Use Nizoral Shampoo. The itching will subside.

When I took minoxidil though, the itching was unbareable. I dont think i can take that anymore.

hulltras

Reaction score
to all those saying use nizoral I ALREADY do.

my question is why is propecia use casuing this itching and what is it a sign of (good/bad???)

laevanay

Reaction score
Bad, just asking are you taking any other drug for any other purpose. How about Lipitor or any other statin?

Shakeel

hulltras

Reaction score
laevanay said:
Bad, just asking are you taking any other drug for any other purpose. How about Lipitor or any other statin?

Shakeel

i presume you are asking me?

propecia is the only drug i am taking. just cant understand why it causes this incessant itch and what it means. i mean to not itch at all when not on it but itch when i am is very strange and i think wrong!