Revisiting The Idea Of A Hair Transplant...

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Back in Jan 2016, I was advised to get on Finasteride for at least 6 months before considering a transplant (I had been on Minoxidil only for years prior to that). Since then, I had some success with minor cosmetic improvement, so I had hoped to keep going, plus adding microneedling/supplements/higher strength Minoxidil to my regime to see if I can avoid transplant altogether. Now I feel that I have maxed out the benefits of Finasteride (which clearly had the most influence on my minimal gain).
I was rated NW3v back then. Although there has been cosmetic improvement, I don't think I would currently be rated differently.
I have long hair and would not shave anywhere other than donor/recipient areas, so I would choose FUT. There are a few concerns:
-The procedure looks horrific. Quite frankly, I'm scared of having a strip cut out of my scalp!
-This will sound petty, but I really dread the ugly duckling stage of up to 12 months before the hair grows (if it does). Imagine some partially shaved dude with long hair adjacent to the shaved areas!
So far, I'm leaning towards Dr. ******** (whom I met in person) who advised 2500 with my donor density/laxity, doing the hairline only (not the crown). With that, I'm hoping it would look like this (but with long existing hair):
http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/BHRClinic/media/bWVkaWFJZDoxMzA5NDMwOQ==/?ref=1
As opposed to this, which I don't think I can handle:
http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/BHRClinic/media/bWVkaWFJZDoyMTEzOTA2Mw==/?ref=1

Does anyone who had a FUT have any opinions?

Last edited:

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure where you got your information, but if you get an FUT you don't have to cut any of your hair, assuming the doctor is competent. They may do some minor shaving or trimming, but not anything like an FUE.

Also the new grafts start growing in three months, not 12 months with most people.

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not sure where you got your information, but if you get an FUT you don't have to cut any of your hair, assuming the doctor is competent. They may do some minor shaving or trimming, but not anything like an FUE.

Also the new grafts start growing in three months, not 12 months with most people.
I got the information from the doctor whose name got censored on this post (based in Belgium at BHR clinic. I'm not sure why I can't mention his name lol). He says the recipient and donor areas need to be shaved which is understandable, and as you said, unlike FUE where many surgeons demand a full head shave.
Having seen the journey of most transplant recipients, it seems that 3-6 months is when hair starts to grow in length after recovering from shedding...which means in order to catch up to the rest of my hair, it would be a good 12 months.