Retin-A

bluenun

Reaction score
I have seen Retin-A mentioned a few times in relation to hair loss and preventing it.

Can someone please tell me how it is used to combat thinning hair.

JesusFreak

Established Member
Reaction score
retin-a is an anti-androgen and has been proven to increase the effectiveness of minoxidil. It is usually sold as .025% for hair loss. Dr. Lee is the only one I know of who sells it.

bluenun

Reaction score
I use the 0.025% Retin-A for acne on my shoulders.

I am not using Minoxidil so would it be any use me applying it to my receding temples?

21gone

Established Member
Reaction score
In this months Mens Health Edition it speaks about Retin A. As freak said it makes minoxidil much more effective. The hairloss Doctor who wrote the little article as a guest writing in Mens Health said that since the follicules are about 4 or 5mm below the surface minoxidil alone sometimes can not cut it, so he suggested getting a carrier like Retin A. On a side not he said that laser therapy or the lasercomb it is bascially a bunch of crap because there is no way it could penetrate the skin 4 or 5mm below the surface to actually do anything. His advice was to save your money.

Cassin

Reaction score
21gone said:
In this months Mens Health Edition it speaks about Retin A. As freak said it makes minoxidil much more effective. The hairloss Doctor who wrote the little article as a guest writing in Mens Health said that since the follicules are about 4 or 5mm below the surface minoxidil alone sometimes can not cut it, so he suggested getting a carrier like Retin A. On a side not he said that laser therapy or the lasercomb it is bascially a bunch of crap because there is no way it could penetrate the skin 4 or 5mm below the surface to actually do anything. His advice was to save your money.

Whuh? What page is that on?

I saw the back page where they have all the stats on hair.....but not this artical.

21gone

Established Member
Reaction score
its on the back page, they usually have a really small little snid bit on the back, I guess I could have called it a commentary but it is on the back page to the very right in the middle, very small print.

G

where can you get your hands on tin-peptides?

and what form do they come in, shampoo?, lotion?, liquid?

are they better than copper peptides?

any info greatly welcome

cheers

Ty

bluenun

Reaction score
So would it be any use if I applied the Retin-A to my receding temples even if I am not on Minoxidil? I am just on finasteride.

JesusFreak

Established Member
Reaction score
So would it be any use if I applied the Retin-A to my receding temples even if I am not on Minoxidil?

no, retin-a alone does not do much of hair loss.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
JesusFreak said:
Dr. Lee is the only one I know of who sells it.

HUH?? Retin-A is sold in every pharmacy in America! :lol:

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
JesusFreak said:
So would it be any use if I applied the Retin-A to my receding temples even if I am not on Minoxidil?

no, retin-a alone does not do much of hair loss.

Oh, even Retin-A alone can definitely help! See the study below. In fact, it has some interesting color pictures of subjects who used Retin-A alone, with some pretty decent results.

J Am Acad Dermatol. 1986 Oct;15(4 Pt 2):880-3, 890-3.

"Topical tretinoin for hair growth promotion"

Bazzano GS, Terezakis N, Galen W.

Topical all-trans-retinoic acid (tretinoin) alone and in combination with 0.5% minoxidil has been tested for the promotion of hair growth in 56 subjects with androgenetic alopecia. After 1 year, the combination of topical tretinoin with 0.5% minoxidil resulted in terminal hair regrowth in 66% of the subjects studied. Tretinoin was shown to stimulate some hair regrowth in approximately 58% of the subjects studied. One female subject with pronounced alopecia for more than 20 years had regrowth of hair using only tretinoin for a period of 18 months. Tretinoin has been shown to promote and regulate cell proliferation and differentiation in the epithelium and may promote vascular proliferation. These factors are important for hair growth promotion. These preliminary results indicate that more work should be done on the role of retinoids in hair growth. The synergistic effect of retinoids in combination with a low concentration of minoxidil should also be further investigated.

21gone

Established Member
Reaction score
TyanW I know that Folligen sells tin-peptides or atleast I believe they do. I think they sell the tin for people with blond hair because it does not turn your hair green like CU peptides.

Cassin

Reaction score
Copper-Peptides are the real deal.....why go with something shakey like Tin-Peptides? If your are concerned with the color, go with a ProCyte formula like American Crew/Tricomin.

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've used Retin-A in combination to minoxidil for a few years now. Could not really see a difference in growth. Problem was my scalp really flaked and made it very difficult to apply couvre homogenously on the crown so I stopped. Plus it made my scalp itch real bad. Wish I could continue it....probably better than just minoxidil alone.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't use minoxidil and Retin-A mixed together. That would be exceedingly dumb. Use them separately.

Bryan

JesusFreak

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't use minoxidil and Retin-A mixed together. That would be exceedingly dumb. Use them separately.

Perhaps someone should inform Dr. Lee of your perceived opinion of his stupidity.

TortoiseAndHair

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:

Bryan

Could you elaborate?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
JesusFreak said:

Perhaps someone should inform Dr. Lee of your perceived opinion of his stupidity.

It's not really necessary, because Dr. Lee already knows! :) In fact, a couple of years ago, my friend Dave and I helped Dr. Lee paint himself into a corner over the azelaic acid issue. I _hope_ Dr. Lee still remembers that.

BTW, just as a little side-bar: Drs. Vera Price and Jerry Shapiro once published a review article in one of the medical journals which claimed that minoxidil and Retin-A are not stable when mixed into the same solution!

Bryan