Retin-A minoxidil Mixture

SethAus

Reaction score
I got a 28 ml bottle of 0.05% Retin-A by perscription from my dermatologist. I want to mix my own Retin-A/5% minoxidil brew. Anyone know what the Retin-A to minoxidil ratio ought to be? What is the ratio in Dr. Lee's formula?

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
SethAus said:
I got a 28 ml bottle of 0.05% Retin-A by perscription from my dermatologist. I want to mix my own Retin-A/5% minoxidil brew. Anyone know what the Retin-A to minoxidil ratio ought to be? What is the ratio in Dr. Lee's formula?

Do not mix them. Retin A can cause scalp irritation. If you mix it, and you experience irritation, you will not be able to separate the ingredients, wasting your money. Instead I would apply the Retina A once per day, and Rogaine 2X per day, and see how this affects your scalp. If you notice irritation, adjust this regimine.

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Retin-A (retinoic acid)

ONCE A WEEK for the first week

then...

twice a week
thrice a week
four time a week and so on...

this will lessen your chances of (pretty much guaranteed) irritation + peeling

SethAus

Reaction score
Well, I applied Retin-A straight and followed it up with minoxidil an hour later. So far so good. Not too much itching or irritation, although that may come later.

I think I'll take your advise, Radio, and go slow. I'm not gonna destroy myself to get my hair back or live a low quality life.

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
SethAus said:
An unexpected benefit. The Retin-A seems to have really reduced the itching.

That's because it has killed the nerve endings in your scalp :freaked:

OK not really, but I am suprised it has stopped your itching !?

Also generally the peel from Retin-A comes 2 or three days later, I tried a little dab on my face, 3 days later a little flakey red area, but this is basically what it should be doing, that is, encouraging faster skin cell turnover.

Good Luck

SethAus

Reaction score
Radio:

Yes, it has stopped the itching. I was going to take your advise, but then I read the instructions carefully. It admonished to listen to no one but them and to apply the thing daily, which I have. The itching from Minoxidil is virtually totally gone. Nothing else worked. T-Gel has been useless in this regard.

Could be that Retin-A enhances minoxidil due to the fact that users are scrapping off less minoxidil from scratching.

SE-freak

Reaction score
SethAus said:
Could be that Retin-A enhances minoxidil due to the fact that users are scrapping off less minoxidil from scratching.

In that sense, handcuffs could also greatly enhance minoxidil.

Interesting concept.