Research: Do nighttime erections and baldness correlate?

cerrone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I need help to prove/deny my theory. I suspect there is a correlation between hair loss and the duration of nighttime erections. My research logs erections throughout the night using a simple data logger. The sensor is a flexible split ring that has a strain gauge on it, sensing the diameter throughout the night. I have measured rather fluctuating patterns in the time span of several years, some erections lasting well over an hour. I would be glad if someone with a full head of hair would be interested to participate.
Also if anyone knows of scientific data on the subject, please share, t.hanks.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
If this is real you might be the most neurotic and autistic person in the world

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not at all, I'm just an engineer.
Most engineers don't monitor their nocturnal erections for several years. I would assume that baldies have less nocturnal erections as they have poorer cardiovascular health and similar androgen levels to their non-balding superiors

cerrone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I may not have elaborated enough, the simple reason is this: erections (similarly to digestion) draw away the flow of blood from some less essential parts of the body. This results in the hair follicles not getting enough nutrition or even enough rest during sleep. Have you observed that your scalp kind of twinges in the morning?

edit: it might not be the lack of blood flow but quite the opposite: the worst hormones get produced during erections and pumped to the whole body, once the erection ceases these hormones get trapped in the scalp.

Last edited:

cerrone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Most engineers don't monitor their nocturnal erections for several years. I would assume that baldies have less nocturnal erections as they have poorer cardiovascular health and similar androgen levels to their non-balding superiors
I measured on a few occasions throughout the years. Of course I haven't done it each and every day for years. The point is that the measurement had to be reproducible.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
There was a study done where they restricted blood flow to the scalp. It actually regrew hair. I promise you, blood flow and nutritients has nothing to do with Androgenetic Alopecia. It's a symptom of cellular stress induced by DHT. Induce hypoxia and DHT becomes harmless.

Regan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Were you taking finasteride? Could be a little bit of a confounding variable.

cerrone

My Regimen
Reaction score
There was a study done where they restricted blood flow to the scalp. It actually regrew hair. I promise you, blood flow and nutritients has nothing to do with Androgenetic Alopecia. It's a symptom of cellular stress induced by DHT. Induce hypoxia and DHT becomes harmless.

Yes it could be that there is excellent blood flow during erections. It might be that the body produces the hormones worst for the hair during erections and these hormones do get to the hair very effectively.

inmyhead

Reaction score

A lot of studies are unreproducible. As long as it's n = 1, it can't be treated as definitive proof.

cerrone

My Regimen
Reaction score
A lot of studies are unreproducible. As long as it's n = 1, it can't be treated as definitive proof.
Agreed, that's why I'm looking for participants. I first need someone with a full head of hair to compare to. I am in no position to run a complete study on thousands of men at the moment.

inmyhead

Reaction score
Agreed, that's why I'm looking for participants. I first need someone with a full head of hair to compare to. I am in no position to run a complete study on thousands of men at the moment.
Idk. erection quality drops in older men, but hairloss keeps getting worse. So your theory does not have a solid ground to begin with... You could probably do some random experiment yourself if you could find a drug which removes erections and see how your hair reacts.

cerrone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Idk. erection quality drops in older men, but hairloss keeps getting worse. So your theory does not have a solid ground to begin with... You could probably do some random experiment yourself if you could find a drug which removes erections and see how your hair reacts.
I don't want to remove erections, I want to control their pattern (with some timing flexibility).

cerrone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Going deeper into my theory: Some man are too easily stimulated just by some fantasies, and this might cause nocturnal erections to last too long. The whole mechanism works like an addiction, and the problem is with the addiction, or so to say with the brain. The results can be measured the most easily on the penis, but an eeg might help with the job too, even better is to have multiple sensors, but I'm at the most basic stage of the research, and haven't gotten into the brain waves part yet.

cerrone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Btw. with older men it could just be that their bodily functions are getting tired of being on overdrive for so many decades, and would be able to maintain a healthier erection quality for an older age, would it not have been unwillingly "overstimulated" during night at a younger age.

cerrone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh and I haven't mentioned that I did try setting up an alarm to wake me up if an erection lasted over 35 minutes. The result: It kept waking me up just too often. I couldn't sleep well so had to banish the idea.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's far from the only evidence that blood flow isn't a factor

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh and I haven't mentioned that I did try setting up an alarm to wake me up if an erection lasted over 35 minutes. The result: It kept waking me up just too often. I couldn't sleep well so had to banish the idea.
For what purpose?