Repository for MSM Studies.........

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is just an idea to get all studies of nutraceuticals or drugs under one roof so it will make life easier for somebody in the future.
It is good to highlight what looks important also so somebody else doesn't have to wade thru tons of research.

"Although an excess of ROS can wreak havoc on a number of intracellular components, a threshold amount is required to activate the appropriate pathways in phenotypically normal cells [96]. The antioxidant effect of MSM was first noticed when the neutrophil stimulated production of ROS was suppressed in vitro but unaffected in a cell free system [97]; for that reason, it was proposed that the antioxidant mechanism acts on the mitochondria rather than at the chemical level.

Downregulation of COX-2 and iNOS reduces the amount of superoxide radical (O2−) and nitric oxide (NO), respectively [86]. Additionally, MSM suppresses the expression of cytokines such as TNF-α [86,90,91], which may reduce any stimulated mitochondrial generated ROS [98

In vitro studies suggest that MSM does not chemically neutralize ROS in stimulated neutrophils but instead suppresses mitochondrial generation of superoxide, hydrogen peroxide, and hypochlorous acid [97]. Additionally, MSM is able to restore the reduced glutathione (GSH)/oxidized glutathione (GSSG) ratio to normal levels, decrease NO production, and reduce neuronal ROS production following HIV-1 Tat exposure [109]. Animal studies using MSM as the primary treatment for experimentally induced injuries show reductions in malondialdehyde (MDA) [142,143,144,163,164,165], GSSG [165], myeloperoxidase (MPO) [142,143,163], NO [164], and carbon monoxide (CO) [164] and/or increases in GSH [142,143,163,164,165,166], CAT [142,143,144,165], SOD [143,144,163,165], and GPx [165].

Last edited:

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

MSM also attenuated the transcriptional expression of IL-1α, IL-1β, IL-6, and NLRP3. Taken together, these results show that MSM has anti-inflammatory characteristics, interrupts NLRP3 inflammasome activation, and inhibits pro-cytokine expression.

To be continued...

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Low grade inflammation in male pattern baldness:​

Hs-CRP was twice as high among the men with moderate to extensive alopecia compared with those with little to no alopecia, although the difference did not reach statistical significance ( ta

There were significant differences between the Androgenetic Alopecia and no-Androgenetic Alopecia groups for the following variables: waist circumference, body mass index, fibrinogen level, fasting blood sugar, cholesterol, C-reactive protein, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, and glycosylated haemoglobin.

Token amounts of less than 6 grams per day will do nothing by itself to reduce systemic inflammation.​

Evidence from clinical trials​

• Osteoarthritis: After several reports that MSM helped arthritis in animal models, a double-blind, placebo-controlled study suggested that 1500 mg per day MSM (alone or in combination with glucosamine sulfate) was helpful in relieving symptoms of knee osteoarthritis (Usha and Naidu 2004). Kim et al. then conducted a double-blind clinical trial of MSM for treatment of patients with osteoarthritis of the knee.

• Twenty-five patients took 6 g/day MSM and 25 patients took a placebo for 12 weeks. Ten patients did not complete the study, and intent-to-treat analysis was performed. Patients who took MSM had significantly reduced pain and improved physical functioning, without major adverse events (Kim et al). No evidence of a more general anti-inflammatory effect was found, as there were no significant changes in two measures of systemic inflammation: C-reactive protein level and erythrocyte sedimentation rate.

• The authors cautioned that this short pilot study did not address the long-term safety and usefulness of MSM, but suggested that physicians should consider its use for certain osteoarthritis patients, and that long-term studies should be conducted (Kim et al. 2006).

Last edited:

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here is a study on women taking MSM in daily 1g or 3g doses for up to 16 weeks

After the 16 weeks most reported better hair quality like shine, volume and less split ends.

Also thanks for the 6g a day study that further suggests that there are few known adverse effects of taking something Iike 10g/day. So far insomnia is the only issue I've been experiencing

I have heard of MSM's antiserotonin properties but just try and take 3-5 mg melatonin at night and see if that helps.

Sleep quality is very important factor in avoiding type 2 diabetes among other things.

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here is a study on women taking MSM in daily 1g or 3g doses for up to 16 weeks

After the 16 weeks most reported better hair quality like shine, volume and less split ends.

Also thanks for the 6g a day study that further suggests that there are few known adverse effects of taking something Iike 10g/day. So far insomnia is the only issue I've been experiencing
This is interesting because if your mitochondria are operating more efficiently and producing more ATP then I think insomnia would be expected.
The only thing is when children are bouncing off the wall with tremendous energy(because of excellent mitochondria among other things) they also have the highest melatonin levels(in their lifetime) to counter that at night.

Chronic fatigue syndrome is being blamed on glutathione depletion so any repletion is an energy boost. Maybe male pattern baldness is an insidious form of fatigue that progressively gets worse and we don't even realize it?

Also estrogens drive energy expenditure and I'm sure are more friendly to mitochondria than androgens.

"When women approach menopause, they gain weight in fat and their energy expenditure goes down," says Deborah Clegg of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. Estrogen levels decline and women grow increasingly susceptible to obesity and metabolic syndrome."

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You may be right, see when I wake after an absurdly short sleep interval I am alert and not groggy. Problem is the body is feeling the strain because it's not getting enough repair time, and it doesn't help that I still try to sleep even though I'm unsuccessful so that leads to back aches. I'm a construction worker and I do a lot of push ups so I need the healing time

Also didn't you say that one 91 year old worked 13hr days, in my experience that means no 8 hours of sleep
I thought of that too about the 91 year old and he must have had an energy surplus to put in those long hours at that age.

It never said anything about his sleep so IDK if that bothered him also?

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This study was done on mice and demonstrated what a high dosage range did to them...

The dosage of 7 grams/kg/day works out to 560 grams(for a 80 kg human) BUT this was done on mice so we divide by 12.3 to get human dosage which is about 46 grams per day. Absolutely now I believe Dr. Stanley Jacobs knew of this study(done in 1986) and perhaps based his 30 gram per day which he took for 20 years off of this study.

MSM did not really increase the life span of the MRL mouse but caused it to live it's longest possible with the genetic problem discussed in the study. MRL mice without a defect can live about 83 weeks(male and female averaged together) or about 20 months.

This represented doses of 8-10 g/kg/day of DMSO and 6-8 g/kg/day of DMSO2
Both compounds(DMSO and MSM) were observed to extend the mean life span of MRL/lpr mice from 5 1/2 months to over 10 months of age.

All strains showed significant decreases in the development of anemia, lymphadenopathy,
and antinuclear antibodies; in addition, the MRL/lpr mice studied over the long term
manifested marked life span extension

There was no indication of involvement of systemic immunosuppressive or antiproliferative effects, and treated animals were observed to remain healthy and vigorous with no signs of toxicity.

These results demonstrate that high doses of both DMSO and its major in vivo metabolite, DMSO2, provide significant protection against the development of murine autoimmune lymphoproliferative disease

Last edited:

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Good compilation of studies in the link below. We have to remember that any nutraceutical that can be obtained cheaply will be a lightning rod for big pharma to strike it. There is some truth to "Quackwatch" on some things but more than likely is probably big pharma funded and about the equivalent of today's "Fact checker" websites.

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

May Help Dissolve Calcification and Plaque Formation​

msm-benefits-half-teaspoon-in-water.jpg

Being a calcium phosphate dissolver, MSM helps to break up calcium deposits that tend to collect in various pockets of the body making them vulnerable to stiffness and chronic inflammation.

MSM is also believed to be beneficial for eliminating calcified plaque build-up that occurs in the arteries, the leading cause of arteriosclerosis and heart disease.

According to health authority David Wolfe, "MSM helps dissolve these calcified deposits, turning them into calcium sulfate and making them soluble so your body can excrete them. The dosage of MSM has to be, in the beginning, maybe 2,500 mg per day. But really, you need to get up to 5,000 mg or 7,500 mg, and allow it to work over a period of months."

Interestingly, MSM is also a commonly used supplement for decalcifying the pineal gland and furthermore may be helpful for dissolving old scar tissue and various types of fibroid growths.