RepliCel: Current state

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
To keep you guys updated and move RepliCel back into focus, I wanted to create a new thread on them. Frankly, they are currently the only ones I consider remotely close to making an effective regrowth solution available. Also, within the last few months they published more and more details on their procedure. They seem to be sufficiently confident that competitors will not be able to catch up with them.

With a certain delay (as always in biotech), Phase 2 trials are finally starting in Q4 2014 (original plan was Q2 2014). The study design is quite well done. Two out of four groups will receive treatment, with the other two being purely placebo. The two treatment groups are: 1 single injection session (like in phase 1) but at different doses. This will reveal how much regrowth can be achieved and for how long, and how much one single injection can stabilize things.
As a side note: Their approach seems to give a "refresh" to the miniaturization process by replenishing DSC reservoirs. Miniaturization will continue, but is reset to a certain degree where follicles can produce hair again. A healthy follicle has around 500 DSC cells, most of which die off without being replaced during miniaturization. A completely miniaturized has 0 to 100 of these remaining. RepliCel's approach is to replenish these with externally replicated DSC cells. Each injection will refill a part of these DSC cells, restoring a part of the follicle's health.
The second of the two treatment groups will receive 90 (!) injections. And that is the interesting part. While we already knew from phase 1 that one injection with the dose used in P1 can lead to a density increase of up to 19% (one single injection!) and an average of 10-14% (depending on whether you factor in non-responders into the average), this will show whether multiple injections can gradually replenish the DSC cells even more than one injection. Optimally, until full recovery, i.e. around 500 DSC cells again. Full recovery of the DSC means, as it would seem, a completely healthy follicle again. I assume all of you know what this means.

Yes, the balding process would still continue - but you could just "refresh" your follicle's health every few years.

The next question is whether their approach is capable of repairing completely dead follilces or not. Phase 1 showed that there is a significant density increase, so the way I see it their injections have to work at least on partly miniaturized follicles. If they work on partly miniaturized and not on dead follicles, we could at least maintain what we have by resetting the miniaturization process of the follicles we still have every few years.
If they are in fact capable of reviving completely miniaturized follicles (i.e. from 0 DSC cells back to levels where follicles produce hair again), well, our problem would be solved for good (at least for those who can afford the treatment - and if they manage to get it, because if RepliCel works, the treatment sites will be overrun with waiting lists many months long). We don't know yet if a) subsequent injections are capable of gradually restoring the DSC cells of follicles with each application, and b) if that would also work for completely miniaturized follicles (which might have taken more damage than only the DSC due to fibrotic tissue). But that will be determined by the Phase 2 results, due to be released Q1 or Q2 2017. Yes, that is a long time, but the way I see things RepliCel is the only company this far.

So much for their approach and the trials, which will yield some certainty and do have some potential - at least for maintenance by repeated injections. And thats quite a perspective. If you can maintain your hair at an acceptable level (NW3/NW4) until you get their treatment, and you can fill up what cant be restored by RepliCels treatment from donor areas, you can keep an NW2 or NW3 for the rest of your life. No fear of going worse than that.

Now to the "success probability as perceived by stakeholders": As most of you know, RepliCel has partnered up with Shiseido. Shiseido provides both financing and a DSC replication facility to RepliCel in exchange for an exclusive distribution license in parts of ASEA (which is great for RepliCels financing and business process cause a cell replication facility is financially far out of their league, but sucks for us because Shiseido will likely become the bottleneck when treatment becomes available in ASEA). This clearly shows that Shiseido believes in RepliCels treatment yielding results which will grant earnings in excess of the millions that Shiseido is investing. In other words, they are confident in the results of RepliCel's approach. But this is old news. The new news is that RepliCel have joined a regenerative medicine consortium - which also has a cell reproduction site in North America at their disposal. This is good news, because apparently a second party is confident in RepliCels approach actually working. So now we have two independent instances, no doubt both with sufficient expertise in the area, believing that RepliCel will offer a treatment that many people will want to receive (and pay money for). Secondly, the Shiseido bottleneck may be partially resolved by a second facility. Thirdly, the location may hint at RepliCel preparing availability of their treatment in Northern America. However, unlike for the ASEAn countries Shiseido has a license for, we have no clue when it will be available. Due to biotech legislation, it might take significantly longer.

So much for the good news.

Now to the bad ones:

RepliCel has silently removed their time schedule for hair treatment availability in Shiseido's licensing area (Q1 2019 if I remember correctly). This might have to do with the 6 month delay for phase 2 trials (shifting things to Q3 2019), but it also might not. While it may be great that there is a treatment which seems to work (work as in: revive at least the partially miniaturized follicles and keep them stable by repeated injections), it sucks we do not know if it becomes available before it is too late for us. And even if their schedule only shifted from Q1 to Q3 2019, all of us know that schedules in biotech rarely work out, so it will likely take even longer.

The financial aspect might also suck. I have no idea how much cell cultivation costs in these scales. Costs for cultivation of cells of only one type in big bioreactors are quite low, but RepliCels approach requires a small bioreactor for each individual, driving costs up. Either way, I have no clue how much this will cost, but it will likely not be cheap. However, should phase 2 results hint at a "full cure", I'd be willing to spend many thousand dollars/euros on it.
Next thing is the logistics. Treatment will definitely be available first in some ASEAn countries, as far as I know Japan and China. It will only be provided by Shiseido, and cell replication will thus only happen in Shiseido's replication facilities. If the results of RepliCel's phase 1 trials are confirmed or even surpassed, there will be a huge demand for treatment which I doubt can be met by only one facility. Also, they need cooperating clinics and doctors, another potential bottleneck. This will likely lead to big waiting lists if their treatment is effective.

So all in all, it will likely be expensive, be earliest available in Q3 2019, and it is questionable whether you will get treatment right when its available. But the way I see things it can be used to reset the miniaturization process at least on partially miniaturized follicles, so you can re-stabilize matters with repeated injections and halt your balding process that way. The optimal outcome would be revival of completely miniaturized follicles through subsequent injections, with each injection replenishing the DSC cells more and more until they get close to their natural count of 500 per follicle again. If RepliCel's approach can do that, only time (or rather the phase 2 results with 90 injections) will tell. It may still take its time, but given the support of two independent expert third parties I am very optimistic about RepliCe's efficacy.

moskva

Reaction score
Great work man, but see through all these next generation concepts I have a personal view:
1. Dr. Lauster/ Dr. Jahoda teams etc proved that 3D cultured dp cells can form follicle-bulb-like sphere and grow hair(though vellus). Dr. Gardner from team jahoda claimed that he thought team Lauster might get better outcome by growing the sphere even bigger.--follicle bulb, this is the core part of follicle
2. Dr. Gardner from Team jahoda also claimed a researcher thought that to make the dp sphere behave more like in natural follicle way(by current method, the percentage of gene expression comparing to natural status is just 40%), putting some epidermal cells around it might help it remember its identity.--epidermal cells, these are what surround the follicle
3. Replicel uses dsc cells to resurrect the miniaturized follicles.--DSC cells, these make the base of a hair follicle
4. So on and so forth

Making the dp sphere bigger helps a bit. Surrounding it with epidermal cells helps a bit. Putting DSC cells under it helps a bit. etc. So what I think is that why not put these things together following the right structure to just make artificial (primitive) follicles and simply transplant them? For now we got 3D printing, and I think we don't need much accuracy here. Though the follicle is a little bit too small, what we have to do is just roughly put the things in correct relative spacial positions.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The hair follicle seems to be a "chain of production" with one base material, the DSC, from which the other materials are created. The groundbreaking paper that all of RepliCels research is based on can be found here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14675169

dermal sheath cells can induce hair follicle development and contribute to the dermal sheath and dermal papilla
[...]
cells from the peribulbar dermal sheath "cup" (DSC) induced new hair follicles
[...]
The results indicate transplanted DP and DSC cells were equally capable of DP formation and hair follicle induction.

DSC cells seem to be the root of the follicle and hair production chain. No additional DP cells needed.

Also, from their patent:
The present invention relates to adult hair follicle mesenchymal stem cells (DSC) having the characteristic of forming a completely new hair follicle DP, of migrating into a pre-existing hair papilla (DP), of forming a part of the dermal connective tissue (DSC and DS) coating and of having less alkaline phosphatase activity than cells of the DP. [...] The cells according to the invention are able [...] to form a completely new hair follicle or to migrate into a pre-existing hair papilla in order to produce a bigger and thicker hair therewith.
Everybody should know what this means.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
The hair follicle seems to be a "chain of production" with one base material, the DSC, from which the other materials are created. The groundbreaking paper that all of RepliCels research is based on can be found here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14675169

DSC cells seem to be the root of the follicle and hair production chain. No additional DP cells needed.

Also, from their patent:

Everybody should know what this means.

Question is: why did their safety trials (Phase I) only show an increase of 11% in terminal hair growth?

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
[video=youtube;cCe5mg7X6zg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCe5mg7X6zg[/video]

That video is old as f*ck, although it does explain the procedure in such a manner that even the likes of George Bush could understand.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Question is: why did their safety trials (Phase I) only show an increase of 11% in terminal hair growth?
A 12% density increase on average, up to 19% for the best responders, after a single injection. Have you seen the values for finasteride and minoxidil? Both range for 12 to 18% after 12 months and never go beyond that. RepliCel's treatment managed that with one single injection - and the dose must have been rather low, because phase 1 trials are for establishing safety, not the dose. As elaborated above, there is a chance that subsequent injections will increase density incrementally. Given that these injected cells are capable of forming completely new follicles from scratch and restore the ones currently miniaturizing, this is not very surprising.

Upcoming phase 2 trials will run at different doses and with a group receiving 90 injections instead of only one. This is why I am eager to see the phase 2 results in Q1 or Q2 2017. From all I know and from their paper from 2003 it is to be expected that additional injections will yield more effect.
But I, for one, think a density increase of 12% average and up to 19% after only one injection is quite something.

EvilLocks

Reaction score
Thanks so much benjt for your insight. I don't know if you are a scientist or researcher yourself? If not I must take the time to applaud you for your detailed posts on here. You really seem to know a lot about hair loss, especially if you don't have a degree or anything. Maybe you will discover the cure before they do ;)

Back to your subject though, Replicel. Judging from the agressiveness of my balding I won't be surprised if I can count the strands on my head (that are not miniaturized) on one hand by 2019, so it will be too late for me... My only hope is hair multiplication or donor regression... What are your thoughts on those, Benjt? I know they're talking 10-20 years away for HM and it truly sucks so much knowing that IF they make it, my youth will be gone and it won't matter as much...

Muzzle

Reaction score
This is why I am eager to see the phase 2 results in Q1 or Q2 2017.

As far as i know they are beginning their phase 2 trials in Q4 2014, so that means we will have to wait for another 2.5-3 years to see phase 2 results, why does it take so long, don't you think that 3 years is a very long time

hellseher

Reaction score
The financial aspect might also suck. I have no idea how much cell cultivation costs in these scales. Costs for cultivation of cells of only one type in big bioreactors are quite low, but RepliCels approach requires a small bioreactor for each individual, driving costs up. Either way, I have no clue how much this will cost, but it will likely not be cheap.

If cure for tendonitis costs around $3000, then it would not be more $6000 for hair regeneration. I just guess.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/on-air/varney-co/index.html#/v/3775771951001

2bald2young

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much benjt for your insight. I don't know if you are a scientist or researcher yourself? If not I must take the time to applaud you for your detailed posts on here. You really seem to know a lot about hair loss, especially if you don't have a degree or anything. Maybe you will discover the cure before they do ;)

Back to your subject though, Replicel. Judging from the agressiveness of my balding I won't be surprised if I can count the strands on my head (that are not miniaturized) on one hand by 2019, so it will be too late for me... My only hope is hair multiplication or donor regression... What are your thoughts on those, Benjt? I know they're talking 10-20 years away for HM and it truly sucks so much knowing that IF they make it, my youth will be gone and it won't matter as much...

This is what Arashi told me on *********talk,

Yeah we'd need a newbie FAQ. But in short: if we have DP cells we can grow hair, so the problem is getting those DP cells. There are 2 options to make DP cells:

1) Deduce stem cells to differentiate into DP cells or
2) Culture DP cells.

Nobody succeeded yet in doing that first, yet it seems a plausible route and Dr Xu also said this would be very possible. But since induced pluripotent stem cells weren't 100% identical to embryonic stem cells, that could have formed a big problem. It seems that's now out of the way but I don't have any idea how difficult it is to deduce inducede pluripotent stem cells, with this new method, to become DP cells and how well those would grow hair.

About culturing DP cells, the 2nd route: DP cells can now be cultured yet after culturing they lose gene expression so the cultured versions are not identical to their original counterparts anymore. The cultured DP cells can still induce hair follicles formation but since genetic information is lost, the resulting hair is not yet cosmetically viable (thin, white etc), so researchers are now trying to solve that.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you are a scientist or researcher yourself? If not I must take the time to applaud you for your detailed posts on here. You really seem to know a lot about hair loss, especially if you don't have a degree or anything. Maybe you will discover the cure before they do ;)
Yes, I am a researcher by profession, though not in biology or medicine. And I can only recombine existing knowledge on male pattern baldness/Androgenetic Alopecia but not create new insights - it is enough to assess what might or might not work through trying to understand the underlying mechanisms, but it is not enough for finding any new treatment.
On the topic of knowledge and contribution in the field: bushbush and xRedStaRx are the ones with a background in bio/med and have a much broader insight than I do. Also, the contributions by waynakyo and IDW2BB are invaluable. Unfortunately, we lost princessRambo somewhere along the way. You should look into his posts, by the way. He had the most impressive regrowth of anyone I know and his regimen was extremely elaborate and effective, but then again very costly.

Back to your subject though, Replicel. Judging from the agressiveness of my balding I won't be surprised if I can count the strands on my head (that are not miniaturized) on one hand by 2019, so it will be too late for me...
DSC cells have been shown to form completely new follicles. The question is under which circumstances they do it: a) in a human environment? (humans are a sh1tty environment for hair follicle neogenesis) and b) do DSC cells do that spontaneously when they cluster by chance/reach local high concentration, or are there other requirements?

My only hope is hair multiplication or donor regression... What are your thoughts on those, Benjt?
Sorry, can't make any informed statement about that, I simply don't know.

As far as i know they are beginning their phase 2 trials in Q4 2014, so that means we will have to wait for another 2.5-3 years to see phase 2 results, why does it take so long, don't you think that 3 years is a very long time
The phase 2 design is to give injections for 12 months and then to observe for another 12 months. This would mean the P2 trials are over by Q4 2016, which should give results by the end of Q2 2017. And long time or not, it's still the farest any biotech company in treating hairloss has gotten.

@2bald2young: You have to seriously work on your reading skills. The 2003 paper I cited above clearly shows that DP cells are created by DSC cells, so if you have DSC cells, DP cells come automatically as it would seem:
DSC cells were equally capable of DP formation and hair follicle induction.

Muzzle

Reaction score
@bnjt : I have a question.

What happens if you had a hair transplant, and lets say 5 years later you have this treatment, i mean whats the situation of your (original dormant follicles) hair follicles after a hair transplant surgery. Do we actually damage these follicles by having a hair transplant and maybe affect the success rate of these future treatments without knowing

EvilLocks

Reaction score
Yes, I am a researcher by profession, though not in biology or medicine. And I can only recombine existing knowledge on male pattern baldness/Androgenetic Alopecia but not create new insights - it is enough to assess what might or might not work through trying to understand the underlying mechanisms, but it is not enough for finding any new treatment.
On the topic of knowledge and contribution in the field: bushbush and xRedStaRx are the ones with a background in bio/med and have a much broader insight than I do. Also, the contributions by waynakyo and IDW2BB are invaluable. Unfortunately, we lost princessRambo somewhere along the way. You should look into his posts, by the way. He had the most impressive regrowth of anyone I know and his regimen was extremely elaborate and effective, but then again very costly.

DSC cells have been shown to form completely new follicles. The question is under which circumstances they do it: a) in a human environment? (humans are a sh1tty environment for hair follicle neogenesis) and b) do DSC cells do that spontaneously when they cluster by chance/reach local high concentration, or are there other requirements?

Sorry, can't make any informed statement about that, I simply don't know.

The phase 2 design is to give injections for 12 months and then to observe for another 12 months. This would mean the P2 trials are over by Q4 2016, which should give results by the end of Q2 2017. And long time or not, it's still the farest any biotech company in treating hairloss has gotten.

Thanks for your reply :) I wonder why it must be so damn hard to find the cure though... And even if they found it today, it would still have to go through a few hundred centuries (feels like) of FDA approval before becoming available.

I have a few questions though (answer them if you can); what role does scalp pain play in genetic hair loss? I'm a female suffering form what I believe to be androgenic alopecia (I can see miniaturizatization all over my scalp) and constant, burning scalp pain (for 1.5+ years straight). And is it possible to lose ALL your hair from androgenic alopecia? I have read about what they call diffuse unpatterned alopecia (DUPA) and I believe this is what I have... It says that people with this will eventually lose ALL their hair. But is this true you think? Also I'm under the impression that meds like finasteride won't work on people with DUPA. It makes me wonder if there is something other than (just) genetics behind it.

2bald2young

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Benjt could you give me a link where there is a lot of information about the causes of hair loss, studies etc if you have one?

moskva

Reaction score
That video is old as f*ck, although it does explain the procedure in such a manner that even the likes of George Bush could understand.
From this we can see that using replicel's method alone would obviously cause a waste of dp cells. Personally I think a simple combination, i.e, culture dsc cells with replicel method while culture dp cells with lauster et al method and inject both of them back into scalp would produce a huge improvement in efficiency.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
From this we can see that using replicel's method alone would obviously cause a waste of dp cells. Personally I think a simple combination, i.e, culture dsc cells with replicel method while culture dp cells with lauster et al method and inject both of them back into scalp would produce a huge improvement in efficiency.

Yeah I've suggested that too, potentially even combine Jahoda's method of culturing Epithelial cells... what boggle's the mind is that NOBODY has cared to even try it. WHY?

2bald2young

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've suggested that too, potentially even combine Jahoda's method of culturing Epithelial cells... what boggle's the mind is that NOBODY has cared to even try it. WHY?

Because they don't care.

moskva

Reaction score
The only people who care are us. That's exactly why I think we should exert some influence on the industry ourselves.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply :) I wonder why it must be so damn hard to find the cure though... And even if they found it today, it would still have to go through a few hundred centuries (feels like) of FDA approval before becoming available.
This FDA bashing is complete BS, but its a "trend" on these forums. Its so much easier when you can blame others as it seems; much easier than to accept that right now there is nothing that can be done (except for lobbying for more money for research, I recently made a post about how little money is supplied for biology research, s. this post if interested). Have a look at the history of medication f*ck ups in the past due to insufficient clinical trials: casualties, cancer, undocumented side-effects, crippled babies because your fertility and DNA got f*cked up and what not. The clinical trial protocols for market clearance are almost identical among all western countries (i.e. the FDA is no worse than European authorities) and I totally support that rigidity as a general course of action even though it might suck for me personally. But hey... scientist bashing, FDA bashing, all the same as long as people can find something to rant about and someone to blame. Its so great when somebody else is at fault.

I have a few questions though (answer them if you can); what role does scalp pain play in genetic hair loss? I'm a female suffering form what I believe to be androgenic alopecia (I can see miniaturizatization all over my scalp) and constant, burning scalp pain (for 1.5+ years straight). And is it possible to lose ALL your hair from androgenic alopecia? I have read about what they call diffuse unpatterned alopecia (DUPA) and I believe this is what I have... It says that people with this will eventually lose ALL their hair. But is this true you think? Also I'm under the impression that meds like finasteride won't work on people with DUPA. It makes me wonder if there is something other than (just) genetics behind it.
Scalp pain is certainly not normal with Androgenetic Alopecia/male pattern baldness. Some (only few) people get a scalp itching from the inflammatory response, but thats it - itching or a slight burning sensation. If you got real pain there I don't think that it is Androgenetic Alopecia/male pattern baldness. About DUPA I got no idea.

Benjt could you give me a link where there is a lot of information about the causes of hair loss, studies etc if you have one?
keratin.com has a lot of good background info. There is no general studies repository that I know of except for the subforum "Hair Loss and Alopecia Published Studies" here.