Removing moles on scalp?

medilook

Banned
Reaction score
Has anyone gone to a dermatologist to remove moles off your scalp? I went a derm and he refused to do it that it would leave a big scar an would have to stitch the mole so it will damage the hair follicles so if the hair grows out I'll have tiny patches. Should I try going to another derm?

UKguy84

Established Member
Reaction score
I had something similar removed from my left side of the crown about 9 years ago and it did leave a nice scar and killed my hair.
Here's the result of mine anyway just so you know what to possibly expect.

mine was done on the NHS in the UK, maybe a private Doctor could do a better job, but that I do not know.

medilook

Banned
Reaction score
It's hard to tell from that picture. I'm completely bald now and I have several moles on the side back and top of my head maybe a total of 7 moles. How did u get it removed? My dr said he would have to dig it out. There's also lazer but he said that method would cause the moles to grow back. Either way he refused the do the procedures so I was dissapointed

UKguy84

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah sorry it was hard to get a good shot of it my scar is white and quite visible with something red in the middle probably it's leftovers.
Mine was cut/dug out like your derm suggested and stitched. I reckon with this technique you would be left with some similar scars to mine depending on mole size (mine was a decent size) you just need to find someone willing to do it.

Getorix

Reaction score
I had two "moles" on my head zapped with a laser just this past Thursday (9/19/2013). The reason I used quotes around "mole" is that there seems to be some uncertainty online and even in the dermatological community about what constitutes a mole vs a birthmark. Mine were dark brown, circular, and slightly raised from the surrounding skin. It wasn't a bulbous, raised ball of tissue like Enrique Iglesias had beside his nose.
Anyway, after struggling with baldness (thinning in the crown) for a several years I decided to shave my head down to just stubble. There were two birthmarks close together about an inch above my hairline smack dab in the middle of my head. They weren't unsightly but they were definitely noticeable through the stubble and that bothered me quite a bit. After investigating various non-surgical removal options I met with a dermatologist who showed me before-and-after pictures of patients who had moles removed with a Fraxel laser. I was impressed with the results as well as his professionalism and medical accolades so I decided to go forward with that treatment. He assured me that the hair would grow back through the skin and that there would be no long-term scarring to remind me of a stupid decision.
On the morning of the treatment I shaved my head down to the skin so he would have a clear view of the moles. He numbed the area with shots of Novacain and within two minutes both moles were zapped, leaving behind little craters. Obviously I didn't love the look of the craters but he assured me that they would heal just like any wound heals. I had the treatment done on a Thursday so I could have a few days of healing before returning to the office. The immediate area where the moles were was slightly red but to me it looked no worse than the moles themselves. Per his recommendation I kept that area moisturized with relatively expensive Eucerin lotion ($7 for a small bottle), which evidently hastens the recovery.
It has been six days since the treatment and they look to be healing well. Scabs are forming (which is expected) and I can say with 100% certainty that hair is growing in those spots just as it was before. The dermatologist said that within two weeks the area will be completely healed and the moles just blemishes of the past. No one has asked about the two small scabs on my head (possibly because they aren't particularly noticeable through the growing hair) but I volunteered to a few friends and colleagues that I had two birthmarks removed and they don't think that's weird or worthy of explanations.
Since they haven't healed completely I can't comment on the eventual success of my treatment but extrapolating from what I see now I am hopeful that things will work out just as the doctor said. This cost me $500 total, which to me wasn't a ridiculous amount to pay for eliminating those annoying brown spots.
I'll be happy to answer any questions and I'll be sure to report back in a week or two once the scabs have fallen off.