Removing a bad hair dye job from lace and base of hair

Soren123

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I went to a salon and asked for a bit of dye to my color 3 lace unit and they did a terrible job, making it near black instead of color 2 or 1b and staining the lace base in the process, plus covering the bleached knots.

I wear my hair up and forward so not a clean hairline show style but enough that the blotted dye stains and blackened roots look strange.

Anyone have experience with removing the hair dye at the base of their system? I'm fine with keeping the hair color above 5mm-1cm the base but want to wash out the hair dye stains and reveal the bleached knots again. Is this possible? I've seen a few YouTube videos using Apple cider vinegar to this effect and plan on just submerging the lace base into such a solution with care not to let the hairs fall in (apart from the roots attached to the base). Would this work for my purposes?

Anyone have any experience with this or is my lace system ruined?

Soren123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you complain to the salon? I would contact them.

After returning with the dyed piece, they were trying to gaslight me into believing the base always looked dark and that the stains were due to the hairline marker on my forehead (which they didn't fully erase). I didn't inspect closely enough to argue about it at the time.

Figured I'd try and resolve this myself before making the hour long trip to the salon and raising a storm.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
After returning with the dyed piece, they were trying to gaslight me into believing the base always looked dark and that the stains were due to the hairline marker on my forehead (which they didn't fully erase). I didn't inspect closely enough to argue about it at the time.

Figured I'd try and resolve this myself before making the hour long trip to the salon and raising a storm.
Wow... what crap. customer service... sorry to hear about this.

I see this all the time... salons that don't really know what they are doing, messing up systems, and not taking the blame/responsibility.

Dying a hair system... does not work the same way as natural, growing human hair. The cuticle has been partially or mostly removed, so the dye takes to it like flies on ...

Sorry, you are dealing with this... I wish I had answers for you.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

You're obviously a nicer person than me. If I was in that situation, I would've stood my ground and kicked up a fuss about it until they replaced it , fixed it and/or gave me a refund. I don't allow anyone to treat me like that.