Remember When Dutasteride Was Considered ~the Solution~ To Hair Loss?

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I recently added Dutas .5 twice weekly on top of my finasteride 1.25mg daily to see if that makes any difference. Been on finasteride over 10 years but have gone slightly below baseline now so added Dutas twice a week to see if that halts further loss or if I'm extremely lucky give me back recent losses. I'm not switching to it though, because there is no guarantee it will hold hairs that finasteride is protecting. I'm just basing that on other peoples experiences, not any sort of study.

Have you heard testimonials of people responding well to Finasteride daily and .5 duta bi-weekly?

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am receding NW3 in a perfect symmetrical pattern, each hair does not miniaturize until the one infront has already started the process

I am with you that common baldness is a dynamic process, starting in the front line and in the whorl.

JohnOKelly

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Bagels

Established Member
Reaction score
What do you mean remember? Isn't it still the best "solution" we have in terms of long term effectiveness and ease of use? Applying topicals is never as perfect and consistent at hitting all the follicles as an internal medication. I have rarely seen results without finasteride/dutasteride that lasted long term and impressed me. Perhaps minoxidil but we all know that alone it won't last forever.

I'll admit its I don't like reducing DHT that much for health reasons but its still the best we got

hanginginthewire

Reaction score
What do you mean remember? Isn't it still the best "solution" we have in terms of long term effectiveness and ease of use? Applying topicals is never as perfect and consistent at hitting all the follicles as an internal medication. I have rarely seen results without finasteride/dutasteride that lasted long term and impressed me. Perhaps minoxidil but we all know that alone it won't last forever.

I'll admit its I don't like reducing DHT that much for health reasons but its still the best we got

So many report that they continue to lose hair on it though. I have seen old threads on various sites where everyone is counting down the days til FDA approval and salivating over halting their loss and hoping for significant regrowth. It was truly anticipated as being a straight up cure - at least as far as cessation of loss goes. There does seem to be this phenomenon of psychologically bait and switch when it comes to upcoming treatments. We are all aboard the hype train and then it' "same old, same old" or a drastic dialing back of previous prevailing wisdom.

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
So many report that they continue to lose hair on it though. I have seen old threads on various sites where everyone is counting down the days til FDA approval and salivating over halting their loss and hoping for significant regrowth. It was truly anticipated as being a straight up cure - at least as far as cessation of loss goes. There does seem to be this phenomenon of psychologically bait and switch when it comes to upcoming treatments. We are all aboard the hype train and then it' "same old, same old" or a drastic dialing back of previous prevailing wisdom.
That is because everyone used to believe, and somehow some people still do, that DHT is the sole cause of hair loss. It would make sense then that dutasteride, which reduces serum DHT by over 90%, would be the cure. People failed to realize that there are soooo many more factors in play than just DHT.

abcdefg

Reaction score
That is because everyone used to believe, and somehow some people still do, that DHT is the sole cause of hair loss. It would make sense then that dutasteride, which reduces serum DHT by over 90%, would be the cure. People failed to realize that there are soooo many more factors in play than just DHT.

People think this because so far we have absolutely zero other avenues with the proof that the androgen route has that they can prevent or stop male pattern baldness. Its really that simple. Nothing else being looked into has any real evidence it can halt male pattern baldness besides good old finasteride from 20 years ago. finasteride has piles of evidence, and tons of men that have way more hair because of it.
We know DHT isnt the sole factor, but what of the 50 other factors involved could stop male pattern baldness if we found a way to lower or raise them? We dont know, but we do know male pattern baldness is mostly an androgen mediated disease thanks to propecia.

JohnOKelly

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
People think this because so far we have absolutely zero other avenues with the proof that the androgen route has that they can prevent or stop male pattern baldness. Its really that simple. Nothing else being looked into has any real evidence it can halt male pattern baldness besides good old finasteride from 20 years ago. finasteride has piles of evidence, and tons of men that have way more hair because of it.
We know DHT isnt the sole factor, but what of the 50 other factors involved could stop male pattern baldness if we found a way to lower or raise them? We dont know, but we do know male pattern baldness is mostly an androgen mediated disease thanks to propecia.

Good post...What other things are considered a possibility for causing male pattern baldness? If it's a massive list no need to post, just say loads lol

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Today is my first day on 2.5 although I only have 0.5 mg pills so have to take 5 a day...

Getting Dutasteride powder would be the most economical if you can source some from a reliable vendor in China, but indeed, God help you at that dose.