relatives on propecia for prostate/ long term?

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
this is just a random thought i had, but my grandpa on my dad's side had a receding hairline at like 20, but he also had prostate problems in his thirties and was taking medicine to prevent it (probably a proscar product) needless to say, despite his early thinning, he still has hair at 75! so just something to keep in mind, maybe this stuff does work long term! keep trucking gentlemen.

misterium

Reaction score
This is an excellent question

Jack_the_Lad

Established Member
Reaction score
does your granpa have any hair left on the top of his head, because most men have hair on the back and sides of their head, even if they started to bald at a young age

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yes, he has a full head of hair, its just a receding hairline thing, but no bald spot on the vertex or anything, and he started losing hair in his twenties slowly, but i just thought it was interesting since my dad said he went on medication for prostate stuff in like his thirties, and probably should have lost most of his hair by 75 since he started receding so early. just trying to give you guys some hope for the long term effect of propecia!

(i'm also hoping his postive reaction to propecia is genetic :lol:

G

Trent8 said:
yes, he has a full head of hair, its just a receding hairline thing, but no bald spot on the vertex or anything, and he started losing hair in his twenties slowly, but i just thought it was interesting since my dad said he went on medication for prostate stuff in like his thirties, and probably should have lost most of his hair by 75 since he started receding so early. just trying to give you guys some hope for the long term effect of propecia!

do you have any pics of this grandad.

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
sorry, no i doubt, i'm not very computer literate either i think even if i did, i wouldn't know how to do it. if you know who jude law is (the actor) hes got a decent receding hairline, it looks a lot like that (only white hair).and i'm not a hundred percent that the prostate medicine is the culprit of his lack of hairloss, it was just an interesting thought i had the other day.

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You bring up a good point. I went to visit my family yesterday and two of my uncles who are balding have been taking Proscar for their prostate. Actually one of my uncles had prostate cancer. Anyways, we sat down and started talking and I brought up male pattern baldness. I was talking about how I was screwed because my moms brothers, for the exeption of one, have all lost their hairs. Well, one of my uncles says "I think you should take some of this Proscar stuff, it seems to be helping my hair too." I was quiet and didnt really say anything after that, but it sure was encouraging to hear that.

Well, IM OUT!

T-BONE

G

So are we saying that taking Proscar for 30 odd years or more and we could all have our hair at the end oof it.

Interesting.....

G

Trent8 said:

your grandfather is 75 and started prostate medication in his 30's (let us for arguments sake say 35),

so he has been on prostate medication for 40 years!

that would mean he started this medication in 1964.

I doubt very very much he was getting finasteride in 1964!!!!

finasteride was first used in the early 1990s to treat BPH.

and it sounds like whatever he was taking worked for him, so when finasteride did come along I can see little reason he would change to this from his (already successful) medication.

G

Trent8 said:
this is just a random thought i had, but my grandpa on my dad's side had a receding hairline at like 20, but he also had prostate problems in his thirties and was taking medicine to prevent it (probably a proscar product) needless to say, despite his early thinning, he still has hair at 75! so just something to keep in mind, maybe this stuff does work long term! keep trucking gentlemen.

Is your dad bald Trent8?

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ahh.. i didn't know this drug for prostate problems was introduced in 1990, perhaps he did swtich when it was introduced, i just knew my doctor said it had been around for a long time for prostate problems. i know my grandpa was taking drugs for prostate at a very early age though, guess it wasn't finasteride, maybe i'll research it a little more and see what was around then, and what he used.

no my dad isn't bald, he's 53 and just starting to look a little thin. interestingly though, when i talked to my dad about hairloss, he said at 24 he went through a lot of hairloss because he remembers asking my mom if she would still love him if he was bald (he said he was clogging the sink) but he still has his hair, lucky guy. he says he goes through periods of sheds that evenually just stop.

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
also, my grandpa didn't take it for male pattern baldness, i don't think he even cared about it really, he took it for prostate problems, i was just thinking that maybe this hair thing was a side effect that maybe HE isn't even aware of (just kinda kept his hair and didn't know it could have been because of his prostate medication, perhaps finesteride)

drinkrum

Reaction score
tynanW said:
Trent8 said:

your grandfather is 75 and started prostate medication in his 30's (let us for arguments sake say 35),

so he has been on prostate medication for 40 years!

that would mean he started this medication in 1964.

I doubt very very much he was getting finasteride in 1964!!!!

finasteride was first used in the early 1990s to treat BPH.

and it sounds like whatever he was taking worked for him, so when finasteride did come along I can see little reason he would change to this from his (already successful) medication.

Proscar has been out for a while. I'm not sure of the exact date but I think it's been used now for over twenty years.

D.

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well if that IS true than my granpa was probably on it, i remember seeing pictures of him in his twenties and being like DAMN that is some early balding that young, but now that i am older and more aware i'm like DAMN how the hell did he keep that much hair when he was losing his hair at 20? its just a thought. does anyone know for sure when proscar, or any form of finesteride was out? i can't figure out how he kept his hair this long? I'm hoping its because of a product like the one we are all using (propecia) and that it worked as long as it has for him!

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hmm that's strange because my dad started balding at 22, now he's 48 and still has good coverage on top... he isn't taking any meds for hairloss or prostate problems. However he had a vasectomy done after my brother (16 years ago) was born. I wonder if this has any influcence?

G

Matgallis said:
Hmm that's strange because my dad started balding at 22, now he's 48 and still has good coverage on top... he isn't taking any meds for hairloss or prostate problems. However he had a vasectomy done after my brother (16 years ago) was born. I wonder if this has any influcence?

I would guess that's the reason. Having that done will reduce DHT levels.

smudge

Established Member
Reaction score
Are you sure that a vasectomy reduces DHT levels? I don't think it would have any affect since you still be releasing DHT into the bloodstream.

Jack_the_Lad

Established Member
Reaction score
A vasectomy isn't going to reduce the amount of testosterone/DHT that a man produces