Regrowth + irritation

Swede

Reaction score
Hi. I need help concerning minoxidil. I have been using propecia before, but I stopped, thinking it didnt work. Now I am positive that it did work because my hair look like sh*t right now ten months after stopping it. I now need to regrow some hair mostly at the hairline. The problem with rogaine is that I have tried the 5% solution before and it made my head itch extremly much. The hairline and just below my hairline, my scalp turns red. It doesnt feel right. I need a regrowth agent but I think I cant use rogaine. Should I try the 2% solution or is it just a waste of time? Any suggestions? Anyhow I am going to start propecia again soon.

SE-freak

Reaction score
Hi.
The problem with rogaine is that I have tried the 5% solution before and it made my head itch extremly much. The hairline and just below my hairline, my scalp turns red.
I think your problem is the PPG in Rogaine. Consider using minoxidil solutions that contain lesser amounts of PPG.

Include Nizoral and possibly T/Gel in your rotation. Bear in mind that irritation issues and flaking usually subside with prolonged use.

Do not go down to 2% yet. 5% is considerably better at regrowing hair plus, your problem is not the active ingredient(minoxidil) but the vehicle(ppg/alcohol ratio).

Swede

Reaction score
Thanks. Do you think that the irritation and the red scalp will disapear or do I have to live with some irritation as long as I use the 5% solution? Is it normal to itch like crazy when using rogaine? I have tried nizoral and I use it now and then but I think at first it helped a lot but now I find it causing a little irritation by it itself.
Where can I find minoxidil that contains lesser amounts of ppg? The only minoxidil that I know of that contains lesser amount of ppg is the 2% solution. Could it be wise to start with 2% and get my scalp used to the ppg and later on move on to 5%? Finally is minoxidil a good regrowth agent, can I expect to regrow some hair along the hairline using it?

SE-freak

Reaction score
Swede said:
Do you think that the irritation and the red scalp will disapear or do I have to live with some irritation as long as I use the 5% solution?
If you are not allergic to PPG then it will probably subside. I also experienced some irritation and it seems to be better now.

Is it normal to itch like crazy when using rogaine?
If your scalp is in bad shape, yes rogaine will cause itching. If you get the "chemical burn" sensation though, you should really try other 5% solutions with lesser PPG.

I have tried nizoral and I use it now and then but I think at first it helped a lot but now I find it causing a little irritation by it itself.
Nizoral can be quite drying for sensitive scalps. Try using a conditioner afterwards and let it sit on your scalp for a while. Then rinse thoroughly.

Where can I find minoxidil that contains lesser amounts of ppg?
Others might help you more on which products you can try. I know Dr.Lee's site (http://www.minoxidil.com)offers some low PPG minoxidil solutions.

The only minoxidil that I know of that contains lesser amount of ppg is the 2% solution. Could it be wise to start with 2% and get my scalp used to the ppg and later on move on to 5%?
No, do not start small. 5% gives considerably better results and my suggestion would be not to lose time. If you want to save higher concentrations of minoxidil for later, there are already 12.5%, 15% solutions available.

Finally is minoxidil a good regrowth agent, can I expect to regrow some hair along the hairline using it?

Minoxidil is an excellent regrowth agent. But there are no guarantees here-it could work for you, it could not. I am personally experiencing some weak teple regrowth one and a half month in.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Swede said:
Thanks. Good and clear answers.

Yeah, conditioner works great. I was never even much of a shampoo or conditioner person, more of a soap person. But I've discovered, the last thing you want is something as harsh as soap. Try the most gentle shampoo you can find. Then place conditioner on your head and try to leave it on for 5 minutes to really penetrate. I try to repeat this pattern every two days, and have very little itching, if any. Good luck.

Swede

Reaction score
Thanks joseph. I will start using a conditioner more often.
One more thing, how do you guys apply minoxidil? I dont like the applicators that comes with the rogaine. Any suggestions?

SE-freak

Reaction score
I use Regaine which lacks the known Rogaine dropper. I use the sprayer extention, but I don't think it is critical. Get the solution to thinning spots and spread it with your fingertips to cover the whole area.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
I use Regaine which lacks the known Rogaine dropper. I use the sprayer extention, but I don't think it is critical. Get the solution to thinning spots and spread it with your fingertips to cover the whole area.

I tried your suggestion of olive oil for the scalp. Just a few drops, and I believe it works far better than conditioner. Although, it doesn't look nearly as good. :)

BTW, I have the dropper. I believe it's a lot better for a fuller head of hair, in getting minoxidil directly to the scalp. While I'd imagine the sprayer makes things easier for people with slick spots or a completely shaved head.

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Swede said:
Where can I find minoxidil that contains lesser amounts of ppg?

1 in 10 people have bad skin reactions to PPG.

Dr Lee makes a low PPG forumla minoxidil which is 'Standard minoxidil' product number 500 @ http://www.xandrox.com, this is a very fast drying formula and is non-greay and much more usable from a cosmetic point of view than Rogaine. He also makes a PPG free formula, but this is very slow drying like Rogaine.

I find the best way to apply minoxidil is with a pipet, suck out 1ml and drop it over the areas you are treating, you can then rub it around a little if you wish.

I had a red scalp when starting Rogaine, this went away with time.

SE-freak

Reaction score
joseph49853 said:
I tried your suggestion of olive oil for the scalp. Just a few drops, and I believe it works far better than conditioner. Although, it doesn't look nearly as good. :)

Yes, I think it is fantastic too. I have buzzed hair and it does not mess them up. But I always apply it after my night application of minoxidil has dried and shampoo in the morning, so no cosmetic prob even with longer hair. If I get an itchy spot, istead of scratching I use an oil drop.

BTW, I have the dropper. I believe it's a lot better for a fuller head of hair, in getting minoxidil directly to the scalp. While I'd imagine the sprayer makes things easier for people with slick spots or a completely shaved head.

I have never tried a sprayer and I think I never will. Too much minoxidil in the air for me to breathe. Dropper is fine, mine is like this(rather an extended sprayer but the result is drops):

Regaine.jpg

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's a cool sprayer. Thanks for the picture. BTW, fourth day with olive oil and not a single bit of itching.... and it only took a measly three drops.

SE-freak

Reaction score
joseph49853 said:
Wow, that's a cool sprayer. Thanks for the picture. BTW, fourth day with olive oil and not a single bit of itching.... and it only took a measly three drops.

Yes, that is my experience too. Make sure you shampoo prior to minoxidil application if you have oil on, as it could restrain absorption.

Swede

Reaction score
Thanks Radio for your reply. I realize that I have to start with minoxidil but I hate everything about Rogaine. It never dries and I think that my skin cant handle it. The thing is that the upper part of my forehead just below my hairline becomes really red and I feel a strange burning feeling. The rest of my scalp turns a litte red but not at all that much and it dont itch to much either. Why is this? I will try the olive oil....

Anyway I would like to try minoxidil with lower ppg. Radio could you please tell me your experience from ordering from dr. Lees website. Personally I would like to buy the minoxidil in a store but ordering from him seems the only option. Is it ok? His website is not to good.