Regime Working?! 27yo, UK - Belgravia Centre 10% + AA

@cmp

Reaction score
Im a 27 y.o. male living in the UK and have been on and off this site for some time, but never actually joined.

Up until about 2/3 months ago my hairline had always stayed at a steady NW2 ish (if that). I had been using 5% topical minoxidil on prescription twice a day for about a year since I first moved to London (and started a fairly stressful job in Finance).

Nothing really happened with my hairline until about February this year when the density of my hairline became ALARMINGLY thin...as if overnight?! I was very distraught because the thought of going bald tortures me...I have a real emotional issue with going bald and will do almost anything within my power to stop it!

After this point, I started religiously using Nizoral 2% and have started paying for Belgravia Centre's 10% Minoxidil Cream with 5% Azelaic Acid. The website & trichologist claimed this was "effective against areas of stubborn hairloss, including the hairline..". I started this on the 17 March, and apply it once to my hairline at night, and then use 5% minoxidil in the morning.

Since starting the treatment, I have noticed shedding and further thinning of areas where I apply the cream (Which was completely fine density wise before) however I am starting to see really, REALLY fine hairs in the areas where I have done so. Does this mean the treatment is working?! How can I distinguish between hairs that are shrinking and those that are new/regrowth?!

Many thanks!!

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
minoxidil will only slow the hair loss for most people. It is not strong enough to overcome the rate of hair loss for most people + it does not stop the process which thins hair. If you want to keep your hair you will need to start finasteride 1mg or 1.25mg daily. Do not stop your minoxidil or nizoral though.

@cmp

Reaction score
minoxidil will only slow the hair loss for most people. It is not strong enough to overcome the rate of hair loss for most people + it does not stop the process which thins hair. If you want to keep your hair you will need to start finasteride 1mg or 1.25mg daily. Do not stop your minoxidil or nizoral though.

I have considered Finasteride for some time however I am terrified by the some of the horror stories I have heard :unsure: - Thats why I opted for the stronger Minoxidil with AA (apparently an anti DHT agent).

Reaction score
Shedding means you are getting used to the new regimen.

I would just use the ketoconazole and minoxidil 5%, maybe a low dose of propecia since you are in a stressful job.

@cmp

Reaction score
Shedding means you are getting used to the new regimen.

I would just use the ketoconazole and minoxidil 5%, maybe a low dose of propecia since you are in a stressful job.

Is this a good sign - will the hair that has shed regrow?

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Yes it can be a good sign, however only time will tell whether you will ever experience regrowth. In addition to regrowth it's also possible while on minoxidil. that you may temporarily reverse some of the miniaturization taking place. However any gains from minoxidil.alone will more than likely eventually succumb to the ravaging effects of DHT. Finasteride can help inhibit our genetic sensitivity to DHT and buy our hair more time and many early M.P.B., such as yourself, have had moderate to good success restoring their prized locks, particularly with combination treatment(minoxidil and finasteride.). More exciting is that many of these users are not only curtailing future loss, they are continuing to maintain their gains or regrowth as well. If you decide to introduce your body systems to finasteride. it might be beneficial to start with a lower dose of it. Some finasteride. users claim have achieved benefits described and furthermore lessened the potential experience of user sexual side effects. Be patient with this regimen(12-18 months)and be positive, cross check your research and above all always prioritize your health. All the best.

Schitz Popinov

Established Member
Reaction score
Nothing really happened with my hairline until about February this year when the density of my hairline became ALARMINGLY thin...as if overnight?! I was very distraught because the thought of going bald tortures me...I have a real emotional issue with going bald and will do almost anything within my power to stop it!

Same thing happened to me man. It was like literally one day I woke up and my hair was so lifeless and I was seeing so much scalp all the sudden. I'm simply NOT the kind've of person whom that could've gone previously unnoticed.

@cmp

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me man. It was like literally one day I woke up and my hair was so lifeless and I was seeing so much scalp all the sudden. I'm simply NOT the kind've of person whom that could've gone previously unnoticed.

I know exactly how you feel - I spend most of my life worrying about how my F*cking hair looks now...its really getting me down! Keeping my fingers crossed that a few months more on this regime will show some good results.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes this is a good sign, there is actually a good article on this site about the topic:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/hair-loss-news/article223.php

Thank you for this!

I must admit, the density and to some extent my hairline itself seems to have suffered somewhat although I don't see many hairs on my hands so much now when styling/showering etc....but when my hair is wet it seems its getting worse before (HOPEFULLY) getting better!

@cmp

Reaction score
Yes it can be a good sign, however only time will tell whether you will ever experience regrowth. In addition to regrowth it's also possible while on minoxidil. that you may temporarily reverse some of the miniaturization taking place. However any gains from minoxidil.alone will more than likely eventually succumb to the ravaging effects of DHT. Finasteride can help inhibit our genetic sensitivity to DHT and buy our hair more time and many early M.P.B., such as yourself, have had moderate to good success restoring their prized locks, particularly with combination treatment(minoxidil and finasteride.). More exciting is that many of these users are not only curtailing future loss, they are continuing to maintain their gains or regrowth as well. If you decide to introduce your body systems to finasteride. it might be beneficial to start with a lower dose of it. Some finasteride. users claim have achieved benefits described and furthermore lessened the potential experience of user sexual side effects. Be patient with this regimen(12-18 months)and be positive, cross check your research and above all always prioritize your health. All the best.

Many thanks for your advice!

I am considering running this treatment for a further two months (As I only started the new minoxidil & regular nizoral use on 17 March) and see how it goes.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Back at you @CMP. :) All the best. Please keep us abreast of your progress.

@cmp

Reaction score
Back at you @CMP. :) All the best. Please keep us abreast of your progress.

Thanks ID :)

Just as an update - I have collected my prescription for finasteride today. I have decided to give this a try in an attempt to make doubly sure that I am doing utmost I can to stop anything getting worse. HOPING I won't get too much of a shed adding this to my current regime.

Will keep you all posted!

@cmp

Reaction score
So month II into my new regimen and I woke up this morning and noticed my hairline has got worse.....is this even f*cking possible? for something like this to happen overnight?

I am hoping this means that the hairs are going into the resting phase and new hair will be due to come through (FINGERS CROSSED). I am holding out starting finasteride because of the horror stories...the odds seem so heavily stacked against it.

It drives me round the bend to think that we can split the atom but not cure retarded male pattern baldness.

CliffLee

Established Member
Reaction score
You need to start taking finasteride or your fight against male pattern baldness will ultimately fail imo. I too was put off taking finasteride due to the horror stories and am annoyed that I did not start earlier. If you calculated the mathematical probability of permanent sides (5+ years) from finasteride, you would be looking at approx. <0.001% chance, roughly - that's one in a hundred thousand.

I've read some of the reports of people experiencing permanent/long lasting sides and in the majority of cases they suffered side effects early on and choose to ignore them. At worst, you take finasteride, experience sides and decide to quit the drug. At best, you take finasteride, it works out and you PM me your gratitude. Be sensible, try the drug, perhaps use a transition period (1 day per week @ 1.25mg, 2 days per week @ 1.25mg etc) and see how you go. Otherwise, start at 0.5mg which has been shown in studies to be almost as effective as 1.25mg.

I'm now roughly four months on finasteride (also using minoxidil and nizoral) - although 5 months if you include the transition period - and my hair is noticeably better, in terms of the overall quality and thickness. I attribute it to finasteride since I don't apply minoxidil to any other area of my head except the frontal part - however all of hair has improved.

You sound similar to me, in that you have always had an anxiety about being bold. For some reason, even from as young as being in primary school, I was worried about going bold. It’s odd, as I’m not especially vain.

You should seriously reconsider your stance on finasteride.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
finasteride is as good as a cure to a lot of people. there have been a lot of cases of people kicking themselves for not starting it earlier or saying it is the best decision they have ever made. minoxidil will only give the illusion your hair is getting better it doesn't do a single thing to slow down the progression of male pattern baldness

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
minoxidil is more than illusion, it does increase hair growth, but it doesn't prevent the cause of hair loss. With minoxidil alone, baldness will win out. With finasteride your stopping the cause and with minoxidil you're promoting regrowth. You need finasteride, it is the only long term option besides RU and dutasteride.

@cmp

Reaction score
Many thanks to everyone for your advice.

I think I may have to bite the bullet and try finasteride. As per CliffLee's advice...maybe I should just try the 0.5 dose and see how it goes.

Out of interest, has anyone ever tried Minoxidil + Azelaic Acid? AA is supposed to be an inhibitor of DHT so I figured that maybe that plus Nizoral and maybe Saw Palmetto might suffice?

Chris

@cmp

Reaction score
So here is my three month update (bang on 3 months)

Regimen;

Nizoral 2% - Once, every other day
Bioitin - 1 tab a day

Morning - minoxidil 5% liquid

Evening - minoxidil 10% cream + Azeleaic Acid.

Unfortunately, whilst it began to look as though my hairline was perhaps thickening out (although no increase in density) it has actually got worse and I can see where it is receding...and my hair is styling differently :(

I have got finasteride tabs but have not yet started.... I am wondering whether this is just the crappy hair being kicked out by the minoxidil + AA (because hairline only really started to get much worse when I got on this stuff) and will begin to regrow?

The Far Side

Established Member
Reaction score
I mailed Belgravia asking them to list the best prices they could do me for just the cream, minus the whole "package" (photos etc.) since I didn't want to pay a premium and it isn't practical visiting their clinic for me. Didn't get anywhere with them. How much is the cream setting you back, and do you think it's good? I'm curious about how well it dries etc. (for possible follow up topicals like spironolactone) and the irritation? Things have got worse (shedding) before improving in most of the success stories I've seen, 3 months is nothing really...