Regeneration from transected follicle

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It has been posted before on another site, it is things like these that i find very promising.

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/img/uploaded_files/2879_file43.pdf

i hope mod will allow the link... Comments welcome

BACKGROUND The use of bisected hair follicles in hair transplantation has been previously reported,but the capacity of each half to regenerate the entire hair has not been clarified.
OBJECTIVE To evaluate duplicative surgery rate of success and to analyze the cell populations involvedin hair regeneration.
METHODS We screened 28 patients undergoing duplicative surgery. Approximately 100 hair folliclesfrom each patient were horizontally bisected and implanted. Upper and lower portions were stained forthe known epithelial stem cell markers CD200, p63, b1-integrin, CD34, and K19.
RESULTS Similar percentages of hair regrowth after 12 months were observed when implanting theupper (72.770.4%) and lower (69.271.1%) portions. Expression of CD200, p63, and b1-integrin wasdetected in both portions, whereas K19 and CD34 stained different cell populations in the upper andlower fragment, respectively.
CONCLUSION Duplicative surgery might represent a successful alternative for hair transplantation,because both portions are capable of regenerating a healthy hair. Moreover, our results suggest thepossible presence of stem cells in both halves of the follicle.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't these findings make pilofocus all the more interesting?

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
so no one reacted to this, you guys knew about it? they transected the follicle HORIZONTALLY I find it bewildering that they actually grew hair that are normal in size. That is something that pilofocus can easily do (if correct that is)...

Just curious to know whether this has been common knowledge here... It seems not since there is still debate on whether you can duplicate follicles.

IDW2BB

Established Member
Reaction score
Transplant Dr.'s want to transplant. Chiropractors want to adjust you bones. General practitioners want to give you a prescription, Surgeons want to do surgery.

It's an option, and a limitation.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Transplant Dr.'s want to transplant. Chiropractors want to adjust you bones. General practitioners want to give you a prescription, Surgeons want to do surgery.

It's an option, and a limitation.

Why a limitation..

I understand your point which is right on the money. But the most rapid advances in medicine happen in fields where physics can lend a hand. we went from ugly plugs to micro FUEs to robot surgeries, in the meanwhile little came from an actual understanding of the biology of follicles..

That is sad but true. I expect the breakthrough to come in the form of surgery or injection of cultured cells/organs but not from a drug.

IDW2BB

Established Member
Reaction score
Why a limitation..

I understand your point which is right on the money. But the most rapid advances in medicine happen in fields where physics can lend a hand. we went from ugly plugs to micro FUEs to robot surgeries, in the meanwhile little came from an actual understanding of the biology of follicles..

That is sad but true. I expect the breakthrough to come in the form of surgery or injection of cultured cells/organs but not from a drug.

Don't get me wrong, I want hair doubling or the ability to split hairs seven different ways and have them be viable for transplantation. My beef is this is focusing on the donor. Cotsarelis is a hair transplant guy. He wants to work on/with balding guys, not bald guys. Bald guys need research on the developing hair, balding guys need research on the thinning hair or increasing donor hair.

I share your expectation that a breakthrough can come in the form of an injection or implant.