Reducing Propecia Doses, Feeling Better But Shedding Hair. Shall I Continue Or Abort?

Jason_D

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on Propecia (1mg) for about 15 years and don't recall what things were like before taking it. I've had no ED or libido issues whatsoever but definitely have had brain fog. I just thought the fog was due to age (I'm in my early 40s) but when a friend told me it could be the Propecia and that 1mg/day is not necessary, I looked online for help.

At the beginning of November, I went with a protocol of 1mg/day every other day. My scalp started itching almost immediately. After about 2 weeks, I noticed that I felt lower energy on the days I was taking the pill than on those that I didn't. In fact, I felt a small figurative "punch" to the gut shortly after taking the pill, which I had not noticed earlier. I suppose the contrast of off-on-off etc made things clearer.

To see whether I could reduce that gut punch feeling, I started taking 0.5mg every day on November 17. That worked better. No more gut punch feeling, and my brain fog has reduced noticeably.

I also started applying Kirkland minoxidil foam a week ago, once per day.

My goal was to go 4 months - which I read is how long it takes our bodies to adjust to Propecia - on this protocol, then take it down to 0.25/mg/day for 4 months, then 0.25mg every other day for 4 months, to finally 0.25mg 2x week.

Here's the problem: I've been shedding hairs increasingly this week. I'm not sure if it's the foam -- it seems too immediate -- or having taken the Propecia dose down for almost 7 weeks now, but this morning I had loads of little hairs all over my pillow. I ran my hand through my hair several times and hairs fell out each time.

Based on what I've read in these forums and elsewhere, people think we should be able to go with 0.25/mg Propecia 2x/week - or even less - but I'm shedding at a much higher dose than that.

Do I tough it out in the hope that my body is adjusting (hormonally or otherwise) or do I abort and return to 1mg/day? I obviously would like to keep how much better I'm feeling mentally (and was excited about how much better things would be when I reduced the dose further) but don't want to risk losing my hair.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lower doses have been tested and validated at a daily level, for example the standard dose in Japan is 0.20 mg/day.

What you're doing however is testing lower doses in larger intervals. Sometimes you go three or four days without taking finasteride, which may give the finasteride time to leave your system, causing hormonal fluctuations in your body which are not necessarily helpful.

I would recommend shifting to 0.25mg/day for now, and see how that goes.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Jason_D

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Afro_Vacancy, thank you for your reply. I've been taking 0.5mg/day for exactly one month now. Is this just transitional or should I go back to the full dose and give up on the attempt?

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Afro_Vacancy, thank you for your reply. I've been taking 0.5mg/day for exactly one month now. Is this just transitional or should I go back to the full dose and give up on the attempt?

I don't know then, sorry.

How's your brain fog?

Jason_D

My Regimen
Reaction score
Brain fog is much, much better. That's why I want to continue with 0.5mg/day. But not if it means losing my hair. That's exactly the dilemma.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Brain fog is much, much better. That's why I want to continue with 0.5mg/day. But not if it means losing my hair. That's exactly the dilemma.

I'm glad to hear that your brain fog is better.

So if I understand correctly: You get brain fog at 1mg/day, but not at 0.5 mg/day. However, you're worried that 0.50 mg/day might not be sufficient for your hair, given the itch. Are you also getting shedding?

You can try reducing the itch/helping your hair by adding nizoral shampoo (maybe spike it with a bit of peppermint oil) and perhaps spiking your minoxidil with a low dose of RU 58841.

Jason_D

My Regimen
Reaction score
Brain fog at 1mg/day but less so at 0.5mg/day. I have itch AND shedding after only 1 month at 0.5mg/day. It's the shedding I'm worried about right now.

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm confident that its the minoxidil causing the shedding. The difference on % dht inhibition between 0.5mg and 1mg finasteride is pretty much non-negligible. Google; 'finasteride flat dose response curve'.

Jason_D

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi 1knox1, I appreciate your reply. I'm hoping it's the minoxidil, but do feel equally confident it's the minoxidil if I told you I've had only only 7 applications total, over 1 week (1x/day)? If so, I would feel much more confident.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi 1knox1, I appreciate your reply. I'm hoping it's the minoxidil, but do feel equally confident it's the minoxidil if I told you I've had only only 7 applications total, over 1 week (1x/day)? If so, I would feel much more confident.

Once a day is an effective dose.

Jason_D

My Regimen
Reaction score
@1knox1 & @Afro_Vacancy: Thank you for your advice. But I'm still wondering: Could I be shedding after using minoxidil foam for only 7 days?

@michel sapin: My hair is good, pretty much where it was 15 years ago. Trying to keep it while reducing the Propecia because of the brain fog...