Reduced finasteride dose and effects already

joeylloyd

Established Member
Reaction score
I just thought I'd throw this one out for people to consider. I've been taking finasteride for about 20 months, interspersed with steroid use. Basically at a dose of 1-1.25mg a day finasteride helps to regrow hair lost when taking steroids and indeed brought my hairline, and crown areas up at the same time.

The problem is that unless I commit to using cabergoline my sex drive and intensity of orgasms is reduced. At the same time without cabergoline I get gyno from finasteride.

Since taking cabergoline all the time isn't an option I decided to switch from a 1/4 tab of Proscar to one tab of propecia and then half a tab of propecia. Basically, I was hoping there was some fine line where the sides would be inhibited but the positive effects would remain. Going into this experiment my hair was looking pretty good and I'd been off steroids for two months with the intention to stay off for good.

Well its been about 2 weeks and basically I have noticed that while my orgasmic intensity is better (lasts longer and is more powerful) hairloss is markedly up. I have lost quite a bit in fact - comparable to what I would lose taking steroids except it has happened quicker. I added nizoral 5% at the time I reduced the dose but apparently it has done nothing to help.

I guess the take home message is that with finasteride it is all or nothing really. You take the good with the bad no matter what dose you are at. I will give it another 2-3 weeks and if hairloss continues to increase I might decide it has gone too far and sacrifice the improvements made by reducing finasteride dosage sexually in exchange for more hair. That or just say f*** it once and for all and go bald. Lol, in this case I might actually take some steroids to speed up hairloss so I don't have to shave every day :cry:

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
that's strange. 0.5mg inhibits 80% as much 5-ar type II as 1mg, which should only make a noticeable difference in the long-run. if that 20% matters so much, the dutasteride people will be happy, since they're blocking 98.5% while we're on 80%.