Recover from Rogaine side effects

julki

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm 22, and used rogaine once a day for 5 months. I had great skin as I was eating well, exercising, and sleeping. I noticed that I have developed these dark circles and my eyes looks sunken (like the fat around my eye is gone). I would apply rogaine to my temples, but then sleep with my face into my pillow. It's been 7 weeks since I've quit, and my face has improved, but I still have the dark circle and sunken look around my left eye (I generally slept with the left side of my face into my pillow). Any idea how long it will take to recover completely?

I've changed my sleeping position to my back by the way.

julki

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've decided to make this into a blog sharing my improvements. Its been 8 weeks that I have been off rogaine. My sunken eyes have slightly improved, and my dark circles have also become slightly better. Hopefully improvements continue in the next weeks/months. At around the 6 month mark I hope that everything will return to normal (skin regenerated). Fingers are crossed. I'll update this thread once a week from now on sharing my recovery process.

MEVOYACURAR

Established Member
Reaction score
Good job. People have to be aware of possible sides.
And above all If someone have these sides it is encouraging to read threads like this and to know that sides can slowly go away after quitting.
Thanks for sharing!

julki

Reaction score
@MEVOYACURAR: Thank you for the support. I think it's important for people to know this information so that the can be well-informed in making their own decisions. Rogaine did work for me in growing hairs along my hairline, but it did come with some nasty side effects not mentioned on the bottle.

@Nadester: I actually have a lot of pics! I'm very busy in the next couple weeks, but but after that I will post pics to show people what happened to my face.

So once again, its been another week. To be honest, I haven't noticed any visible improvement. Skin regeneration or healing takes time, specifically around the eye area, regardless of age (I'm 22 by the way). So I'm hoping that my skin bounces back at around the 6 month mark and at most the 1 year mark. If not, I made get those under eye injections so I don't look so tired.

The left eye is a lot worse than the right eye (I primarily slept with the left side of my face into my pillow). The right side has some damage, but it's not as noticeable as the left eye.

Fingers crossed everything returns to normal. If anyone has any stories of how they recovered from their sunken eyes look from rogaine please feel free to share!

julki

Reaction score
I actually have a lot of pics that clearly show the damage of rogaine. I'm very busy for the next few weeks but after then, I'll try to post!! Thanks for the question.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Guys,

I'm updating you guys again. There hasn't been much improvement in my left or right eye (visibly at least) during the past week. Skin regeneration is slow especially around the eye area. Still hoping that I recover by 6 months, and AT most 1 year. It's been 9 weeks since I've quit rogaine foam. My face is much better than when I first stopped 9 weeks ago, but I'm not sure how much my face has improved the last 5 weeks.

My left eye has the most damage. I have this dark ring extending from the corner of my eye around my upper cheekbone. Fingers are remaining crossed. Please feel free to share your stories of recovery or side effects!

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
@Nadester: I actually have a lot of pics! I'm very busy in the next couple weeks, but but after that I will post pics to show people what happened to my face.

Yeah right. You will be gone in a couple of days and we will never hear from you again.

natnat1999

Reaction score
hey, I had a similar experience and maybe you can learn something from it.

So long story short, I used rogaine for about 4 months and it literally made me age 10 years. I was extremely depressed. I've always been a really pretty girl and I was so depressed afterwards that I decided to move to a different country for 6 months because I was so ashamed of the way I looked.

I was 22 when I started using it. I've been off it for 7 months and I am now 23 and still have not completely recovered.

However, I have experienced some SERIOUS improvements and I would like to share my story to help others.

First, I did a major detox to get the Rogaine out of my system. I took detox pills and I drank dandelion root tea as well as black tea to really get it all out.

Second, I began taking action to improve and increase my collagen production. I take reservage collagen replenish powder as well as phytoceramides from lipowheat to complement it.

I also went to my dermatologist and got prescribed to tretinol for the face wrinkles. She also told me to put a small amount of Vaseline underneath my eyes to diminish the appearance from the lines under my eyes.

I began eating gelatin,pork skins and "collagen bone broth" (Google for info) - I know it sounds nasty but these foods provide amino acids that are necessary for collagen production. Look it up. THIS HAS LITERALLY CHANGED MY LIFE. Please give it a try, I PROMISE it is worth it.

Third, i detoxed my entire house. Rogaine and minoxidil are powerful drugs that leave nasty residue almost everywhere. I literally had to throw away all my pillows, sheets, hair brushes and EVERYTHING because that nasty stuff was still on there and I could see side effects from it MONTHS after I had stopped using it so i decided to throw everything away. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

It has been a long journey and I am still recovering from it. I am 95% better and I will not stop until I am fully recovered. I've researched this information for months. I am determined to beat this.

D

DBW

Hi Julki (or anyone else who can give me some information on this),
I'm just wondering whether you ever rfully recovered from the side effects you experienced on rogaine? I ask because I recently used the Kirkland stuff for just over a month on my beard and eyebrows and it has absolutely shredded my face, dark rings under eyes, puffy and wrinkled under-eye-area and eyelids, while my cheeks have just gone completely 'flat', the skin is so loose and saggy, its really unbelievable. All snuck up on me as I imagine it did with you too. Anyway, I've been off it for about 4/5 days now and have seen some mild improvement in the eye area, little else although its obviously still early days. I am 20 and only used the drug, admittedly quite liberally, for a short period of time so am hopeful of recovery though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't fearing the worst. Anyway, I'd really appreciate some answers from yourself or any others who have gone through a similar experience.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. For the benefit of anyone who is thinking about using minoxidil on their face like I did or just more generally, I will try to provide a running update on my skin condition around once per month. Try and finish what Julki started haha :)

D

DBW

Hi All,
Just checking in at the 2 week mark. Improvements have been mild but noticeable: my cheeks are still bloated-looking and saggy though not quite as bad as before as I have deliberately got back to the gym and begun cutting back on calories in an attempt to cut some of the flab. In all honestly though, its difficult to get an objective measure of how things are moving along on this front, not least because of the increase in exercise but also the fact that my 5 o'clock shadow tends to add a bit of definition to my face and give the allusion that its looking sleeker. I'd say about a 5-10% recovery on the cheeks thus far then, though I'm obviously hoping for more. In terms of the dark under-eye circles, these have lessened fairly considerably though again only about 20% compared to what my eyes were like pre-minoxidil. The skin under the eye area is still weak and flaccid, no real improvement there, while the marionette lines and wrinkles around the eyelids have gotten a bit better, maybe 20% recovery again :)

D

DBW

Hi all,
One more week has passed now since I stopped using minoxidil and I am disappointed to say that there has been very little progress in the way of a recovery. If anything, things seem to have gotten worse. My eyes are still very puffy and swollen and while I must admit that the fine lines and wrinkles underneath the lower lid seem to be starting to diminish, the overall eye area looks largely the same. The baggy cheeks are also still as bad as ever and the enlarged pores all over my forehead and temples are still prominent. On a more positive note, I got my skin checked out by a dermatologist today and she seemed confident that I should have a good chance of recovering. Apparently she believes that my problems are more likely to have been caused by minoxidil's harsh alcohol carrier than the medication itself. In layman's terms, she thinks that there has been some deep tissue skin damage of some kind and that the swelling of my eyes and face is a reaction to that. According to her there's a good chance that there will be some considerable progress in the next couple of weeks so hopefully things are beginning to look up :)

D

DBW

Hi all,
It has now been just under 2 months since I stopped using minoxidil and unfortunately, I'm still seeing very little in the way of improvement. My complexion has improved fairly considerably though; my face is no longer so red and blotchy and the dark, crimson circles around my lower eye area seem to have relented. My pores have also gone back to their original size and though the worst regions around my forehead and my temples are still looking a little rugged, the general 'external' skin quality seems, by and large, to back to something like normal. The same cannot, however, be said for the 'internal' texture; my under eye area is still very 'unfirm' and puffy, as is the skin around my cheekbones, cheeks and jawline. Essentially the whole of my face seems to have blown up and swollen to about twice its original size and this has failed to get any better in the last 7 weeks. I will check in again at the 3 month mark, hopefully things will have improved a little on the texture front by then :)

rebuv

Reaction score
I used minoxidil too after seeing no results i quit it and since i quit it until now am shedding like crazy , non stop shedding my hair got very thin even in the areas where i didn't apply it . My hair was thicker 3 month ago thn its now, btw am 21 :(((((

MGW96

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am a healthy 20 year old. I stopped using minoxidil about a month ago after 3/4 months of twice a day useage on eyebrows and facial hair (very VERY stupid in hindsight now) and have also noticed horrific side effects.

Massive dark circles
Slumped eyes, in particular left one (as julki described)

I feel like I have permanently damaged my facial appearance. Is there a chance I will recover? I have followed your tips natnat1999 and am going for the detox. Can anyone share their long term recovery story with me? Thanks Guys

redcoral

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have the same problems wrinkles under my eyes and forehead this product is a poison WARNING to all newbie please stop this treatment it will give you old face! I was 2 months off in minoxidil but i have still wrinkles under my eyes and hoping will recover to this poison!

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm 22, and used rogaine once a day for 5 months. I had great skin as I was eating well, exercising, and sleeping. I noticed that I have developed these dark circles and my eyes looks sunken (like the fat around my eye is gone). I would apply rogaine to my temples, but then sleep with my face into my pillow. It's been 7 weeks since I've quit, and my face has improved, but I still have the dark circle and sunken look around my left eye (I generally slept with the left side of my face into my pillow). Any idea how long it will take to recover completely?

I've changed my sleeping position to my back by the way.

Stop. You might be allergic to glycol, in that case, use the foam.

Please stop scaring yourself from treatments. Without Finasteride, Androvart, and Minoxidil, what else
is there?

Just saying.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah right. You will be gone in a couple of days and we will never hear from you again.

He turned into a Killer Clown!!! And it was all from Minoxidil.

Looking for Stephen King's IT images. Anybody know where they are?