Recommendations for a conservative looking system for a first time user?

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
I am looking into getting my first system. I've decided that I want lace or lace & poly hybrid for the extra comfort, breathability and because I like the way that the hairlines look with lace. I looked at one supplier's website and the systems look good but my main issue is that they look so dense and heavy and I think that I'd be uncomfortable with so much hair. I also want a slightly high hairline, not a completely juveline one, but I know that I can customize this with most stock systems when I order. The main thing that I am ambivalent about is getting a system that is too dense or heavy and not liking it. For reference, I would like a style like any of the photos below. Can you recommend me a stock system?

Short-Haircuts-For-Men.jpg

63946e1b13332cefee5e6eabd73cbdcb.jpg

highandtight-2.jpg

ceb8022a8793557ee92e2a5d3eddbc6b.jpg

GettyImages-955793572.jpg

1176574.jpg

d5f269288fc7eb7f5533773b3020b040.jpg

david-beckham-hairstyle-2019-jan0872020-22-min.jpg

No Hair No Fair

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you're going to be covering up the hairline completely, a thicker polyurethane skin system with injected hair might be the most convenient option for you.
The hairline won't style backwards easily and the front edge can look kind of fake (especially when it starts wearing out), but it wil conform comfortably to your cranium, you wont feel the edges (if it's fitted and glued down properly and isn't overlapping your other hair, the crown growth pattern looks very natural, and the thicker base makes it less prone to tearing.

If you wanted extra hairline realism (especialy for pompadours and spiked or other back-combed styles), you'd probably want a thinner polyurethane skin unit with V-loops, or an ultra-fine swiss lace unit. However, these are both prone to tearing (usually if you try to pull it up after gluing it on, or while trying to remove tape), and the lace systems can get messy when adhesive seeps through into the hair, but these types of bases have more realistic hairlines. You should generally avoid using tape on these systems and use glue instead.
V-loops sometimes look less natural with dark hair, so some people will get a flesh-toned unit (or just in the front) and have it dyed to their hair color, which helps hide the "v" points in the base.

Other tricks you can use to get a more realistic hairline are a graduated hairline (thinner in the front, thicker further back), a staggered hairline (peaks and troughs of hair in the front), and (especially for lace systems), scalloped hairlines, underventing, and bleached knots.

There are also other kinds of bases you can get, like French lace or monofilament which are more durable but might not look or feel quite as realistic, and combo units that combine multiple types of bases (e.g. thick poly skin all over but Swiss lace in the front).

I used to wear a very nice-looking "Hollywood lace" front partial when I was younger, which I think was French lace with polyurethane-coated gauze around the edges and underventing in the front. The undervented hair hid the thick edge in the front so people couldn't see it, but you could feel it with your fingers and sometimes it dug into my scalp. Also, the adhesive from the tape I used to hold it on would seep off into the hair and make a mess after a couple of days, and when the bond started to loosen it would slide down my foreahead, causing my hairline to lower and a gap to appear across the middle of my scalp.

Now I only wear front-to-back ultra thin skin toppers. You can't feel the edges as long as they're glued down all the way (and not overlapping your other hair), and if the base is thin enough and cut properly (and not a different color from your scalp), you can't see the edge of the base.

Last edited:

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The hairstyle in most of these pics is called a textured crop.

You should be able to approximate this with lace. The hair may want to stick straight up and out if you cut it too short, so you might want to leave it slightly longer than some of these guys have it, and probably also lower the fade.

I didn't read the entire post above but generally I would agree that injected thin skin is a good choice, possibly the ideal choice, if you want to go very short and forward like that. Especially if the thought of leaving it slightly longer is offputting.

The potential issue with STOCK injected skin is it probably won't fit the curvature of your head exactly, and the material doesn't have a lot if stretch, so you could end up with lumps (if it's too round) or creases (if it's not round enough) that the short hair won't hide.

I wouldn't recommend v-looped skin for a textured crop because it has the least defined crown appearance.

FWIW i think these haircuts code more 'modern' than 'conservative' with the exception of Steve McQueen's.

Last edited:

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
Thank you both very much. I was going to rule out a poly system because I thought that I should go for more breathability with my first system so that's why I decided on lace. Even with the hairline hidden, I do want it to be realistic looking because I know that I'm going to be paranoid when first wearing it. I will look at stock injected skin, keeping in mind that I should think about the curve of my head (I want stock because I don't want to wait... ). But still I am leaning towards lace.

For lace, the hair color that I'm going to get (true black or jet black) will not come with bleached knots and that seems to be standard across different brands. Will that be a problem and cause a more detecable hairline? Here in this thread there is a photo of a lousy looking hairline on a lace system and it seems like it wasn't properly bleached.
If mine is not bleached by default, because it's black, will it look lousy like that?

No Hair No Fair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you both very much. I was going to rule out a poly system because I thought that I should go for more breathability with my first system so that's why I decided on lace. Even with the hairline hidden, I do want it to be realistic looking because I know that I'm going to be paranoid when first wearing it. I will look at stock injected skin, keeping in mind that I should think about the curve of my head (I want stock because I don't want to wait... ). But still I am leaning towards lace.

For lace, the hair color that I'm going to get (true black or jet black) will not come with bleached knots and that seems to be standard across different brands. Will that be a problem and cause a more detecable hairline? Here in this thread there is a photo of a lousy looking hairline on a lace system and it seems like it wasn't properly bleached.
If mine is not bleached by default, because it's black, will it look lousy like that?
If you get super-fine swiss or french lace, they are designed to show your scalp through the hair and base, and you can see right down to the "root" of the hair shaft, which can look extra realistic when the hairs are put in correctly and the knots are bleached, but if they're not, the dark knots tend to look like scabs or kind of artificial. Also, under certain conditions, the lace itself can become visible. There are some older lace styles or other base types that hide the knots and base with various methods but the tradeoff is usually that either the hair is super-dense or the base is thicker and/or less comfortable.

I personally am not bothered by the poly skin bases being "unbreathable" when they're sized and attached correctly, but I've found that if they overlap the moving parts of my scalp too much (lower forehead, lower side areas) or if they are pulled too tight when bonded, then they can get kind of uncomfortable, but I'm not so sure that's exclusive to poly systems, and I don't even feel them when they're sized and attached correctly.

If you get an exposed lace hairline it really should have bleached knots. Some people bleach the knots themselves, but it's kind of tricky and you'll be mad if you mess it up.

The knots might be less of an issue if your hairstyle will be combed down so it's covering them up completely, but if the wind blows it up the knots could show.

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am looking into getting my first system. I've decided that I want lace or lace & poly hybrid for the extra comfort, breathability and because I like the way that the hairlines look with lace. I looked at one supplier's website and the systems look good but my main issue is that they look so dense and heavy and I think that I'd be uncomfortable with so much hair. I also want a slightly high hairline, not a completely juveline one, but I know that I can customize this with most stock systems when I order. The main thing that I am ambivalent about is getting a system that is too dense or heavy and not liking it. For reference, I would like a style like any of the photos below. Can you recommend me a stock system?

View attachment 174732

View attachment 174733
highandtight-2.jpg

View attachment 174734
View attachment 174735

View attachment 174736
View attachment 174737
View attachment 174738
Would recommend going all tape and having a non exposed hairline if possible. After a few months you can experiment slowly with glue but IMO it's all a lot in one go. I went for swiss lace and exposed hairline and the first month or so was tough. Baby steps is best and slowly experiment along the way until you find what works.