Recently added Minoxidil... I noticed that I'm breaking out

Thin

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm breaking out below my cheeks ever since I started to use 5% minoxidil. Anyone else had this experience? Kind of weird to be using a topical solution and to have acne appear on the face that is about 6 inches away from the applied area. Maybe its coincidence.

DonaldAnderson

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have noticed once in a while a little irritation like a pimple will pop up around the hairline but no breaking out.

D

DanHLT

Re: Recently added Minoxidil... I noticed that I'm breaking

Bumping this topic..

I have been breaking out with pimples on my face since I started minoxidil 5% about 2 weeks ago. Right now I have two under my right cheek and one under the left side of my lip. I do get the occasional pimple every several months, but 3 big ones at once is a surprise. Yuck.

Anyone else with this kind of problem after using minoxidil??

Thin said:
I'm breaking out below my cheeks ever since I started to use 5% minoxidil. Anyone else had this experience? Kind of weird to be using a topical solution and to have acne appear on the face that is about 6 inches away from the applied area. Maybe its coincidence.

Subliminal

Established Member
Reaction score
Bumping this again. Yes, I started with minoxidil 5% only on my temples before moving to finasteride. It made the pores on my face huge and and my skin oily. minoxidil affects hair all over the body even if applied only to the scalp, that's why there's a warning for women that it may increase facial hair growth.

I gave up minoxidil as a result and use finasteride only now. Acne is gone and the pores have shrunken up with the help of OTC AHAs.

southernstarter

Reaction score
Subliminal - how long had you used Rogaine before you decided to stop. And what happened when you stopped, specifically in the areas of application, increase shed .. quick loss, anything?

I started using it about 3 months ago and I think I am going to give it up to rely solely on Propecia but I just dont want to find out my hairline has become dependent on it. I am stopping just because I dont think I needed to start it in the first place and should have just kept with Propecia only and now Im afraid I may have made my haird dependent in 3 months.

Thanks - J

Felk

Reaction score
I started getting a bit oiler, with blackhead and pimples, after using Proxiphen.

It contains 5.5% minoxidil, but is only applied once a day so i dismissed it initially.

However its applied to a water-soaked scalp to increase absorbtion, (of everything, not just the minoxidil) something which isn't recommended with minoxidil alone because it leads to too much systematic absorbtion.

Maybe i too am suffering sides from minoxidil :freaked:

Subliminal

Established Member
Reaction score
southernstarter said:
Subliminal - how long had you used Rogaine before you decided to stop. And what happened when you stopped, specifically in the areas of application, increase shed .. quick loss, anything?

I started using it about 3 months ago and I think I am going to give it up to rely solely on Propecia but I just dont want to find out my hairline has become dependent on it. I am stopping just because I dont think I needed to start it in the first place and should have just kept with Propecia only and now Im afraid I may have made my haird dependent in 3 months.

Thanks - J

Didn't notice my hairline really progressing to any significant extent when I stopped with minoxidil. minoxidil didn't really help much anyway, other than giving me peach fuzz. I'm just vain and yes, 2-3mm of temple recession bothers me because I'm 26. I'm starting to see some regrowth at the sides with finasteride only, but I have slowly started adding back in minoxidil 1x EOD. I keep the oiliness in check with Biore oil controlling lotion. I also keep Accutane on hand to deal with the increased oily skin & pore enlargment if it gets really bad (low doses like 10mg BID 2-3x per week).

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yup.....I see one pimple and some reddish marks on the cheeks...My skin was very very clear..the last time I had a pimple was probably 10 yrs ago...

But thats my least worry..shedding is driving me crazy

But my shedding is CRAZY just after 12 days of application and I have been shedding for 10 days now 100+ easily..

Felk

Reaction score
Subliminal said:
I also keep Accutane on hand to deal with the increased oily skin & pore enlargment if it gets really bad (low doses like 10mg BID 2-3x per week).

Hmmm i'd probably stear clear of that, because a common side effect is hair loss!