Recent study that adds to existing evidence that dutasteride is extremely effective

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is a recent 12-month study that I don't believe has been mentioned on these forums so far, which further demonstrates what previous studies have shown, that dutasteride is an extremely effective treatment for hair loss:

Effectiveness and safety of oral dutasteride for male androgenetic alopecia in real clinical practice: A descriptive monocentric study.
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/dth.13182

Unfortunately, only the abstract is viewable for free, which I've pasted below. Also notice that only 2.6% of participants needed to stop treatment due to adverse effects, and there were no cases of adverse effects continuing after stopping the drug.

"The objective of our study was to describe the effectiveness and safety of oral dutasteride (OD) for male androgenetic alopecia in real clinical practice. A retrospective, monocentric, and descriptive study was designed. Male patients with androgenetic alopecia that had received OD for at least 12 months were included. Three or less capsules of 0.5 mg per week were considered low doses. Therapeutic response was assessed by comparison of pre‐ and post‐treatment (at month 12) clinical images by three independent dermatologists with expertise in hair disorders, using a four‐point scale (worsening, stabilization, mild improvement or marked improvement). In all, 307 patients with a mean age of 35.3 years (range 18–79) were included. Eight patients (2.6%) required the discontinuation of the drug due to decreased libido (n = 4), gynecomastia (n = 2), mood disorder (n = 1) and erectile dysfunction (n = 1). All these AE resolved after stopping the medication. No AE were detected in patients receiving low doses of OD. The effectiveness was evaluated in the subgroup of 42 patients (13.7%) who received OD in monotherapy: 38 patients improved (90%), 10 of them (23.8%) presenting a marked improvement, 4 patients (9.5%) were stable and none patient worsened. In conclusion, OD is an effective treatment for male androgenetic alopecia in real clinical practice, presenting a good safety profile, especially at lower doses."

Last edited:

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You can enter the study's doi on Scihub (Google it) to read the full article for free if you want (It's only 4 pages). I've been able to download it this way.