Recent paper about stress can cause hair loss and premature graying

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score

The impact of perceived stress on the hair follicle: Towards solving a psychoneuroendocrine and neuroimmunological puzzle​

Abstract​

While popular belief harbors little doubt that perceived stress can cause hair loss and premature graying, the scientific evidence for this is arguably much thinner. Here, we investigate whether these phenomena are real, and show that the cyclic growth and pigmentation of the hair follicle (HF) provides a tractable model system for dissecting how perceived stress modulates aspects of human physiology. Local production of stress-associated neurohormones and neurotrophins coalesces with neurotransmitters and neuropeptides released from HF-associated sensory and autonomic nerve endings, forming a complex local stress-response system that regulates perifollicular neurogenic inflammation, interacts with the HF microbiome and controls mitochondrial function. This local system integrates into the central stress response systems, allowing the study of systemic stress responses affecting organ function by quantifying stress mediator content of hair. Focusing on selected mediators in this “brain-HF axis” under stress conditions, we distill general principles of HF dysfunction induced by perceived stress.

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My stress is 100% linearly correlated with new appereance of grey hairs in beard/scalp, my doubt is, once the stressor is mitigated can these hair revert to black again? It's the first time im experiencing it so no clue... pretty annoying

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Exactly, stress acts producing gray hairs and the process can not be reverted, gray hairs are gray in all hair fibre and from the begining have not melanins. It is designed before hair emerge. It is orchestated in the hair cycle before. It is interesting that hair is envolved in a tupid neuron surface as saw Ramon y Cajal in the late 19`´

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Exactly, stress acts producing gray hairs and the process can not be reverted, gray hairs are gray in all hair fibre and from the begining have not melanins. It is designed before hair emerge. It is orchestated in the hair cycle before. It is interesting that hair is envolved in a tupid neuron surface as saw Ramon y Cajal in the late 19`´
f***, I better lower my stress levels if I dont want to become a greycel then

Feramon1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There was a topic on this forum somewhere, I couldn’t find it, but I still have a link.

As you can see, it is possible to return gray hair, but the most interesting thing in this case is not that he returned the hair and color, but that he did it at such a late age.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you Feramon1 por the papers, in the second "
Interleukin-4 inhibits the melanogenesis of normal human
melanocytes through the JAK2–STAT6 signaling pathway.5
Downregulation of IL-4 caused by dupilumab may explain this
phenomenon. However, we could not completely exclude that
alopecia areata, although not clinically recognized, was
improved by dupilumab in this patient"
Probably Interleukin-4 acts in melanogenesis, but they are rare cases.