Receding Hairline Vs Maturing Hairline

NoobQuestion

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I apologize ahead of time, I know you probably get these questions ALL the time.

My girlfriend has told me that she thinks my hairline (but not at the temples, at the center) seems thinner. She said with pride: "I notice these things that other people don't". She says it almost as a point of pride, which makes me ponder if it's actually true or not. I'm wondering what you guys think?

Arguments for:

1. I have a Widow's Peak.
2. My grandfather on my father's side and my grandfather/uncle on my mother's side were all bald.
3. When I look closely at my Widow's Peak, I can see a lot of clogged hair pores. I can also see a lot of sort of rogue hairs coming out from my forehead below my Widow's peak.
4. My girlfriend says she thinks that the hair at my Widow's Peak is thinning.

Arguments against:

1. I have ALWAYS had my Widow's Peak, even when I was a child.
2. I have my father's exact hair, and his hair is still very full at the age of 65. My grandfather on my father's side and my uncle/grandfather on my mother's side were bald, but their hair was ALWAYS very thin and they were heavily balding by the time they were my age. And so it seems that I have my father's hair, rather than their hair.
3. My hair is very thick, and always has been. To the point where barbers have always told me they are amazed at how fast it grows and how thick it is.
4. Until 3 months ago, I hadn't gotten my hair cut in 1.5 years (I had just let it grow out). I also tied it back into a bun almost every day. My new barber told me that both not getting one's hair cut AND tying the hair back can cause tension on the middle of the hairline. He also told me he thinks my hair is thick, but maybe he's just blowing smoke up my butt.
5. I have always had a large forehead.
6. Doesn't hair usually thin at the temples, rather than at the center?

Anyways, enough rationalization! I'm attaching a picture trying to measure my hairline from 2008 until now (ages 18 to 28). What do you guys think? Is my hairline thinning like male pattern baldness? Or am I just getting older? Be brutal, I can take it!

Here is the picture in a larger size: https://i.imgur.com/IUD7GTw.jpg

Thanks so much for your time!

Attachments

• haircompare3.jpg
    haircompare3.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 480

abcdefg

Reaction score
I dont see a big difference, but IMO early on in male pattern baldness people close to you like family will point it out when its first apparent to others. They know and see you most often. Or you would notice yourself in the mirror.
IMO there is no aging its just male pattern baldness or it isnt.

biddybomb

Experienced Member
Reaction score
the general shape of your hairline seems unchanged. I could possibly see a loss of density, we will need some more high resolution pics to confirm that. If you are thinning it is very minor, you have a great head of hair as it is.

NoobQuestion

My Regimen
Reaction score
the general shape of your hairline seems unchanged. I could possibly see a loss of density, we will need some more high resolution pics to confirm that. If you are thinning it is very minor, you have a great head of hair as it is.

Thank you!! But is thinning itself not an all or nothing game? Would "minor" thinning at 28 not indicate male pattern baldness and full blown baldness at 38? Or can a person experience minor thinning without it indicating male pattern baldness?

NoobQuestion

My Regimen
Reaction score
I dont see a big difference, but IMO early on in male pattern baldness people close to you like family will point it out when its first apparent to others. They know and see you most often. Or you would notice yourself in the mirror.
IMO there is no aging its just male pattern baldness or it isnt.

So people's hair don't thin at all unless they have male pattern baldness?

Raphael13

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What I've read is that you can lose density on your hair or see changes in your hair without it being male pattern baldness.

NoobQuestion

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, I just got back from the dermatologist, and he has confirmed that there is very minor thinning around the center of my hairline that is probably consistent with very early male pattern baldness. He thinks stress from the past couple of years has caused some temporary loss that has revealed the pattern of genetic male pattern baldness beneath it.

I guess this experience has taught me that I must be an incredibly vain and shallow person, because I'm having a very depressed and childish reaction to this. I'm really having a lot of difficulty coping with the fact that my hair is starting to thin at 28. My whole adult life I've struggled with weight and career, and I'm making changes in those areas, but I suppose I was always proud of my hair and considered it to be the one thing going for me.

I know logically that there are plenty of women who like the shaved look. I know logically that I can slim down and then buff up. I know logically that "inner beauty" and confidence and humor count for more than hair, and I also know logically that I am incredibly fortunate in many ways. I'm lucky to be 6 feet tall, for one.

But man, I'm just having a lot of trouble finding peace of mind and acceptance with this. One moment I feel okay about it and then the next moment I feel depressed. So childish and silly, I know.

How did you guys cope with it when you discovered it happening? I'm trying to find a way to move past this in my mind :( There's something that feels so permanent about the whole thing.