Receding Hairline? High Temples? Thoughts?

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think finasteride would be enough. minoxidil is a pain, and if you decide to go for minoxidil, I'd recommend once a day before bed

Sliceofbread

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wouldn’t do it man. Your hair isn’t even Norwood 2 and you are thick. I don’t think you’ll have any noticible hair anytime in the next decade. If you look online there are many cases where propecia causes an endless shed and actually ruins hair, if someone is obviously balding then the risk is worth it but no for you!

Vince_Reagan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
definitely receding, you are losing those triangles at the sides of the forehead and that is the number one sign of receding hairline.

willwork4pizza

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
definitely receding, you are losing those triangles at the sides of the forehead and that is the number one sign of receding hairline.

What triangles are you referring to? The temples or the corners? Just got it cut:

IpAeWtM.jpg

bAO6BSY.jpg

This is what concerns me the most.

4feojC4.jpg

I really hope the dermatologist will prescribe finasteride. I'm sick of worrying about this.

willwork4pizza

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think finasteride would be enough. minoxidil is a pain, and if you decide to go for minoxidil, I'd recommend once a day before bed

Do you recommend dermarolling too?

I wouldn’t do it man. Your hair isn’t even Norwood 2 and you are thick. I don’t think you’ll have any noticible hair anytime in the next decade. If you look online there are many cases where propecia causes an endless shed and actually ruins hair, if someone is obviously balding then the risk is worth it but no for you!

I'm just scared about this...that if I don't do anything it will only get worse:

bAO6BSY.jpg

Vince_Reagan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You see the red mark I put on the pictures, these corners are thinning. A man with no hair loss will have hair all the way around the black marking I put. Now you may say that you see most men with no proper corners, yes that is true because most man do suffer from some hair loss. You mentioned that you are 26, so I would say you are in pretty good condition, you may be just norwood 3 at 35.
bAO6BSY.jpg

willwork4pizza

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You see the red mark I put on the pictures, these corners are thinning. A man with no hair loss will have hair all the way around the black marking I put. Now you may say that you see most men with no proper corners, yes that is true because most man do suffer from some hair loss. You mentioned that you are 26, so I would say you are in pretty good condition, you may be just norwood 3 at 35.View attachment 92208

Thanks for the feedback. With all due respect, though, I would look ridiculous if my hair extended to the black line. And the area in red isn’t thinning, I just have blond hairs there. Always have. I’m more concerned with the temples where my hair is parted.

willwork4pizza

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Per my dermatologist's recommendation, I started a regimen of minoxidil foam (2x/day), nizoral (2x/week) and biotin (3-4x/week) about two months ago. I know it's too early to see much of a change, but I want to document the progress. I'm looking for a dermaroller or dermastamp but I haven't had much luck finding the right one. If in a year I haven't maintained or grown, I'll consider starting finasteride.

1IMG_3784.jpg 1IMG_3785.jpg 1IMG_3786.jpg 1IMG_3787.jpg 1IMG_3788.jpg
1IMG_3792.jpg 1IMG_3794.jpg 1IMG_3797.jpg 1IMG_3798.jpg 1IMG_3799.jpg

willwork4pizza

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on my regimen of minoxidil 2x/day, biotin every other day and nizoral 2x/week for about five months now. Got my hair cut yesterday so I thought I would post some updated photos. Still following up with my dermatologist in June to evaluate possibility of starting finasteride. Hoping that I can maintain this for a while before going that route.

1IMG_4913.jpg 1IMG_4917.jpg 1IMG_4924.jpg 1IMG_4929.jpg 1IMG_4931.jpg 1IMG_4932.jpg 1IMG_4934.jpg

obsessedguy112

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just keep your eye on it but I have the exact type of hairline, I am also obsessed with it but the luck part is that you can survive with a good amount of hair until you become 40-45. Then, maybe you can look for other options but for now, just observe it and you'll be fine. You have more hair than the rest

willwork4pizza

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
(Reposting because i just got a haircut)

I’ve been focusing on my temples — following a regimen minoxidil 2x/day, biotin 3-4x/week and nizoral 2x week and just started dermarolling last week —what about my crown? Not sure if this is normal or thinning.

E57E40EB-697B-4431-9E9D-41A43A193960.jpeg

D823B02D-B834-49D1-BC6C-CC5BC3B8AD9D.jpeg

6771EDB3-B121-42B7-BFF9-001C0A7DCA66.jpeg

willwork4pizza

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry for the double reply, but I’m really freaking out. I’m going to start applying minoxidil foam to the crown area, but I don’t know if I’m applying it correctly. I don’t see my dermatologist for several weeks - is there anything I can do in the meantime?

2B434366-A1BA-40C2-A64B-7EEDA6D12E85.jpeg

Hairs45

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
you do need to start taking finasteride in the meantime.

Theres is nothing wrong with your temples, hairline or crown.

really theres nothing wrong with your hair right now. it looks good.

willwork4pizza

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
you do need to start taking finasteride in the meantime.

Theres is nothing wrong with your temples, hairline or crown.

really theres nothing wrong with your hair right now. it looks good.
I see my dermatologist next month, I’m going to ask for a finasteride prescription. At least then I’ll know I’m doing just about everything I can do.

willwork4pizza

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm resurrecting this to share an update. I've been on my regimen of minoxidil foam 2x/day, dermarolling 1x/week, nizoral shampoo 2x/week and, until recently, biotin 3x/week (read that it wasn't really worth it). My dad is bald, so I'm trying to stay on top of things. I saw my derm last month and he said that he didn't think I needed finasteride, but I'm still monitoring it closely.

Photos are from Jan. 2018 vs. today.

Jan. 2018:

bIMG_0457.jpg bIMG_0458.jpg
bIMG_0461.jpg bIMG_0462.jpg

Today:
aIMG_8471.jpg aIMG_8472.jpg aIMG_8473.jpg
aIMG_8475.jpg aIMG_8477.jpg

Thoughts? Should I push my derm to prescribe me finasteride or wait?

IncognitoMan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, @willwork4pizza

You seem to be doing well, and have minor recession, in my opinion. I don’t think any normal bloke would consider this balding, or really even notice your slightly receded temples. If you want to do all you can to maintain your current hair, then finasteride is probably the route to go. Honestly, it’s a lot simpler than putting minoxidil in every day. In my experience, finasteride has not caused me any issues (currently). In retrospect, I wish I had started sooner, but I hadn’t noticed my hair loss until after I had lost a Norwood — partly denial. Anyway, at the slow rate you’ve been receding since 2017, you seem to be in good shape! And, you must be 28 now? If so, you have a great head of hair for your age...

willwork4pizza

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, @willwork4pizza

You seem to be doing well, and have minor recession, in my opinion. I don’t think any normal bloke would consider this balding, or really even notice your slightly receded temples. If you want to do all you can to maintain your current hair, then finasteride is probably the route to go. Honestly, it’s a lot simpler than putting minoxidil in every day. In my experience, finasteride has not caused me any issues (currently). In retrospect, I wish I had started sooner, but I hadn’t noticed my hair loss until after I had lost a Norwood — partly denial. Anyway, at the slow rate you’ve been receding since 2017, you seem to be in good shape! And, you must be 28 now? If so, you have a great head of hair for your age...

I'm 29 now. I know I should consider myself fortunate to have what I have. I just found out my derm moved to a different hospital, so I will set up an appointment with a new one to see if they can prescribe it for me.

willwork4pizza

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on finasteride for about a month now. Thankfully I haven't experienced any noticeable sides. I'm using minoxidil once a day and dermarolling once a week

I know I can't expect results instantaneously, but I'm really discouraged by my temples. They seem to be thinning more rapidly. Every time I run my hands through my hair, it seems like at least one loose hair follows.

Can I expect any regrowth from finasteride? I've been using minoxidil for over a year now. I'm not sure if it's helping at all.

Here are some progress photos with a couple of comparison photos from now vs 2017.

IMG_9088.jpg IMG_9095.jpg
2IMG_9113.jpg 2IMG_9114.jpg
IMG_9089.jpg

IMG_90931.jpg

Northface32

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Tbh I don't think you had really any hairloss to begin with....I believe you jumped the gun with the minoxidil and it actually made your hair worse because it messes with your skin and hair cycles. You should have got on finasteride first and only like .5 and you would've been golden for a long time. Wouldn't need anything else but finasteride the way it looked at the beginning. But now I dunno what would happen if you dropped minoxidil. Finasteride should really be first line of prevention and maintenance. But I think you'll be ok on finasteride now, hope the best for you man

willwork4pizza

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Progress update: I'm about a year into finasteride. No side effects. I'm still shedding and my temples are a little concerning, but they don't seem to be getting much worse. I've slacked on the dermarolling...should I pick back up on that?

1gWddnE.jpg
3qU7rsZ.jpg
7UdFY6u.jpg
CRTspYq.jpg
dPSedsE.jpg
lF79H8p.jpg
ODRRzSq.jpg
yVtYkUM.jpg