Receding Hairline At 21...thinking Of Starting Finasteride/big 3

Tidalwave

My Regimen
Reaction score
Alright, I've been compulsively reading threads on this page for about some time now, the success stories, the horror stories, everything, and I've finally decided to make my own thread.

It started around when I was 18, what was probably a tiny bit of recession of my temples. I had buzzed my hair really short then, so I noticed it when a friend had pointed it out to me. I didn't pay much attention, since my hairline looked fine once I grew out my hair again. Fast forward to sometime mid 2018... somehow the topic of hairlines came up in a conversation I was in, and I had someone tell me "you look like you're 50 with your hairline". That hit like a truck for sure, even though it might have been an exaggeration. This was probably the start of my downward spiral and obsession with my hairline, I mean it sucks that it hits some people so young while its not even a mild concern for others.

I began investigating hairlines on both sides of my family, but it looks like I'm the youngest to show signs of male pattern baldness, so not much comfort there. Over the past couple months, I think my hair has even started to thin out a bit on top of receding, but I'm not sure. I've grown it out and parted it on one side to cover the receding temples as much as I can.

I went to a local GP last week to finally confront the issue, and got a blood test done. Waiting to hear back from him, as he wanted to check if my ferritin levels/etc. were normal, just to rule out other issues before confirming it is male pattern baldness. I'm just a bit weary of going on finasteride/minoxidil as I've probably read a bit too much into sides and all that, but I'll realistically start the regime if it's the only way to save/regrow my hair.

Questions for you guys:
- What Norwood level would you say I am right now?
- Is finasteride enough to start with, or do I need to apply minoxidil+nizoral as well at the same time?
- Do you apply minoxidil on just the temples and the crown, or everywhere?

Really hoping for some regrowth on the temples (I'm not expecting a perfect hairline), and once I get the green light from my GP for finasteride, I'll post updates regularly.

Attachments

• receding.jpg
    receding.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 937
  • lefttemple.jpg
    lefttemple.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 4,077
  • righttemple.jpg
    righttemple.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,014
  • normal.jpg
    normal.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 999
  • crown.jpg
    crown.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 909

AintEasyBeinCheezy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man did you get the green light? Your hair loss is similar to mine although I’ve got no thinning it’s just continually receding and it sucks but can’t do anything else but take the medication.

I would say your definetly balding but if you start minoxidil/finasteride now then you should be good for the future. Like you I obsess over it loads and its nearly taken over my life. Just have to not think about it really which is easier said than done.

Ive been on finasteride for 20 days and not much has changed. I have one side effect and that’s watery seamen but it usually happens for a lot of guys then it goes.

If you ever want to talk about it message me. Happy to discuss it with someone else that’s experiencing it young.