Receding hairline at 21, Regaine doesn't seem to be working anymore...

gibbo8970

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Been browsing these forums for a couple of years now silently, but glad to be aboard now, should have done it sooner!

Anyways, I've been having abit of trouble with a receding hairline for awhile now, I guess it started when I was 14, my hairline receded a little but not much and it seemed to stop, I barely gave it a second though for years everyone just said it was my adult hairline emerging or whatever.

When I was nearly 19 my hair started to reced at the sides slowly but surely, the hair there would be thinner but past it was still thick. By the time I was 20 as it progressively receded I was so fed up with it all I decided to try Regaine and see if it would work. Initially it was excellent, I had a fair bit of regrowth at the sides after a few weeks although it was never as thick as the rest of my hair is but I was happy to see progress. After 3 months my scalp went into a rash and I decided to stop using the Regaine for a couple of weeks so my scalp would recover which it did the downside was all the hair I regrew fell out and Regaine has never made much of an impact since it just seems to regrow a couple of hairs here and there and I wouldn't even say it stopped further recession. After nearly a year of using Regaine my girlfriend at the time didn't think I needed too as the rest of my hair is quite thick and she never really noticed it receding like I did so I decided to leave it for 3 months. My hair shot back at the temples terribly after ceasing the Regaine so I decided to start using it again, Although it seems to be making barely any impact now and I've noticed my hair continually thinning at the sides in the 4 months I've been using it again as you can see in this pic:

BILD2622.jpg

My father is in his 70's and he still has a full head of hair, yet on my mothers side her father was bald before 30 which is where I'm getting it from I guess... Although my half brother (from my mothers side) Is nearly 40 and he has a better hairline than I do now, although everyone has usually said his looks thinner,

I've got a big head and a receding hairline has made me very paranoid about my looks, although I brush it all forwards it's become a big drain on my self esteem and appearance..

Anyway to get to the point I was wondering what other treatments you guys would recommend apart from Regain that might actually be more effective without bad side effects, I read Nickypoo's story and saw his regrowth, just wondering what path I should take from here.

Thanks for any advice and help you can give me.

FormerFro

Reaction score
My recession is very similar. Only been on finasteride, rogaine, and nizoral for 2 months now but I would suggest you try those out while you still can. Temples are next to impossible to regrow, however you can try and hope for the best. Good luck!

gibbo8970

Reaction score
what are there full names? I'll check them out, Rogaines the same as regaine isn't it? Thanks heaps!

FormerFro

Reaction score
Rogaine, and regaine contain the same active ingredient. After years of trying naturals, brushing, and throwing everything but the kitchen sink, you will find that there are only 3 real things you can use to help stop hairloss. They are...

Minoxidil 5% (your rogaine, regaine, or what have you). Apply twice daily
Finasteride 1.25 mg (Name brand is propecia) You want to get the generic 5 mg, sometimes known as proscar and cut it into fourths. Take 1/4 (1.25mg) daily
Ketoconazole shampoo 2% (Popular brand is Nizoral) Somewhat controversial in terms of effectiveness but has some anti-androgenic effect. Wash hair with it 2-3 times a week

And that's it! These are the only truly effective tools you can use today. I'm also a high proponent of stopping masturbation as I believe it has a huge role in speeding up hair loss, but
it is only a theory.

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
1. Get on finasteride as soon as you can(of course if you want to maintain your hair and don't freak out at the stories with side effects). This is only to STOP further progression of male pattern baldness.
2. For the temples, the only solution to recover them would be a hair transplant. If you want to look excellent!

minoxidil doesn't work good in that area,even combined with finasteride, and even if it works, the results are poor there. But you have nothing to loose if you apply it.

gibbo8970

Reaction score
I'll go see my doctor about Finasteride, always wondered about it but the side effects sound nasty so that's why I kept away from it and tried Regaine instead. I'd just be happy to slow or stop my hair receding so I'll see how I go, never heard anything good at all about hair transplants and they are apparently alot of maintenance and don't work half the time.

Thanks guys!