Receding hairline and minoxidil?

Carlos..

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a few questions I would love to ask. Ok I have recently bought some Monoxidil 5% but I am a bit nervous about whether or not I should start using it, I am worried that all my hair will fall out :( It says not to use on a receding hair-line but thats where my problem is, that and going slighty thin on the top of my head, but there are no bald patches. What would you recommend for this? I dont want to leave it till I have a bald patch to stat using Monox is what im trying to say. I am about to start using Propicia but I want to wait and see how I get on with the Monox first to save wasting my money if the monox doesnt work. I am also using Zixoral shampoo and taking MSM tablets which I have heard is a great solution for healthier hair. I would be so much greatfull if you could give me some some advice on my receding hair line and my thinning. Many thanks

Carlos..

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply mate. So do I put the minoxidil on the front of my head where its a bit thin? I'm sure on the label it says not to I just dont understand why :(

Obsidian

Reaction score
The only reason they put that on the label is because they did not test it there. Many people have put minoxidil on the hairline and it has worked for them. More than likely you will get a shed from it but THAT IS NORMAL. If you shed, more than likely your hair is going to grow back on it. I also reccommend what PropeciaJunkie said if you really want to save your hair.

Carlos..

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice :) i'll do that :)

pproctor

Established Member
Reaction score
Expanding various comments:

1) Contrary to the package insert, minoxidil works up front, just not as well as further back. The clinical trials were only done in the back. So, in their wisdom<G>, the FDA only allowed claims that minoxidil works in the back. Somehow, this got translated into "minoxidil doesn't work in front", producing two decades of confusion. BTW, nothing unusual about this. About 20% of prescriptions are written "off-label". This is, for things that don't specifically have FDA-approval.

2) Figure that medical treatment is better at coarsening what you have than at growing new hair. Likewise, new hair tends to be limited to loss from the last few years. Similarly, new hair generally doesn't grow in already shiney areas. That is, don't expect your hair line to come foreward.

Peter H Proctor, PhD,MD

ali777

Reaction score
Yeah... You should start using minoxidil..

There are lots of people in this forum, including me, that use minoxidil for the hair line. I'm 2.5 months into my treatment and I believe it's working. It takes a time, you have to be patient with it.

FreeloaderUK

Established Member
Reaction score
if your scalp is shiny then you physically cannot grow hair from it- the follicles have been destroyed by DHT & have scarred over which is the cause of the shine. so the sooner u use minoxidil the better.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm getting pretty good growth out of a previous shiny scalp.

Carlos..

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice it helped a lot. Luckily I am only 19 going 20 so the baldness is not magor, but have been receding since I was late 18, so I need to get it sorted. Today I am going to get started using minoxidil then just see how it goes. This weekend I will go to the doctors and try get a normal prescription on Propicia and not a private one.

Thanks for the help :)

rkim

Established Member
Reaction score
minoxidil does work on the whole scalp, however I do feel it works best on the vortex. Though, could be that my hairloss is just more reversible there, or less aggressive.

Why not try minoxidil for a while before trying propecia? no need to jump on everthing at once. Advantages: minoxidil may work alone. You won't need to be on a hormone altering drug. You will be more able to gauge it's effectiveness. You will leave yourself another option in the long run (you are very young! and minoxidil& propecia don't work forever).

Also, just wanted to add, maybe start at 2%. You can work your way up to 5%.

Carlos..

Reaction score
That sounds like an idea I suppose. I'll give it a try. cheers mate