Receding hair line – ONLY

JD06

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I just turned 26 years old recently. I first noticed some hair loss right after I turned 23, although it probably started with my temples at around 21 or so. I started taking propecia in September 2004, so it’s been a little over 2 years.

For those keeping track of stories on fin’s effectiveness against hair line recession, I don’t know if propecia has helped at all. My hair line has continued to recede, although it MIGHT have slowed down in the past year.

My question is this: The extent of my hair loss has been recession only. The rest of my head that has hair, has very thick hair. What regime would you guys advise? I’ve been using finasteride like I said, plus nizoral every 3 days or so.

It seems to me that minoxidil isn’t very helpful for a receding hair line at all. I tried using minoxildil (generic 5%) last year on my hair line, but after a few weeks it seemed to be drying out my scalp a lot and causing the skin to peel off a little. If you guys feel minoxidil can be helpful, is there another brand that you’d recommend that is less irritating on the skin?

I’m considering adding spironolactone and maybe tricomin. What about using dutasteride instead of finasteride? I’ve read dutasteride can potentially be worse on the front than finasteride? I’m willing to try anything – I believe the collective wisdom of a forum like this far exceeds the advice I’d get from most doctors.

Also please if you recommend any topicals or drugs, please include a source you believe to be foremost reliable/safe/effective, and secondly, inexpensive.

Thanks guys - help me hold out until HM comes out

CCS

Reaction score
I am totally getting HM when I can afford it. My front needs it.

G

Proxiphen is the best topical treatment I know of for attempting to regrow hair on the hairline/temple region. You can get it from drproctor.com. It requires a prescription. It is expensive though. But if you want a good chance at regrowing your hairline/temples, you should consider using it. Read about it on drproctor.com under the products section. It should be used in conjunction with propecia or avodart.

As for propecia, I would try switching to Avodart if i were you. It may give you a better chance at stopping your hairline from receding further. What Norwood would you say you are now, JD06? Take a look at the chart and tell me. But what I'd do is try adding Proxiphen, and try switching to Avodart from Propecia. Ask your Doctor for a prescription for both Proxiphen and Avodart. If you can't regrow your hair then those two treatments should at least give you a good shot at stopping your recession in its tracks for awhile.

norwood.jpg

Nathaniel

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You might also consider adding a copper peptide (like folligen). If it irritates your scalp you can always dilute it.

The new minoxidil foam from rogaine seems to be helping guys who have either irritated or flaked/dried a lot, not to mention it is way easier to apply. You might want to check that too, and give it more time, it will probably take longer than 4 months (and up to year) of continued use to fully rip the benefits of minoxidil. Check the rogaine forum, it has tons of info on the new foam, I will start using it pretty soon, until I finish the regular PPG one I purchased.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
I am totally getting HM when I can afford it. My front needs it.

college have you posted any pics of your hair/hairline? With your arsenal and 'drive' to combat hairloss I was wondering how bad your hair really is?

JD06

Reaction score
JayMan said:
Proxiphen is the best topical treatment I know of for attempting to regrow hair on the hairline/temple region. You can get it from drproctor.com. It requires a prescription. It is expensive though. But if you want a good chance at regrowing your hairline/temples, you should consider using it. Read about it on drproctor.com under the products section. It should be used in conjunction with propecia or avodart.

As for propecia, I would try switching to Avodart if i were you. It may give you a better chance at stopping your hairline from receding further. What Norwood would you say you are now, JD06? Take a look at the chart and tell me. But what I'd do is try adding Proxiphen, and try switching to Avodart from Propecia. Ask your Doctor for a prescription for both Proxiphen and Avodart. If you can't regrow your hair then those two treatments should at least give you a good shot at stopping your recession in its tracks for awhile.

norwood.jpg

I'm close to a norwood 2, although its not quite the same. Not quite the pronounced horseshoe shape in front, but temples are worse. That little notch of hair that protrudes on the side is thinning/receding for me. Fortunately, there is zero sign of thinning hair on top or in the vertex.

Don't you think theres a possibility my Doctor won't give me an adovart prescription? I wouldn't think many would, considering I'm a little young to have an enlarged prostate. If not, what would be the best source to get adovart? I always kind of wonder about these foreign places that make generics. With a drug like finasteride/dutasteride, how can you trust the proper % of drug is in the pill, short of like testing it chemically.

I'm a little wary of using dutasteride. Do potenial side effects go away when you quit using it, like with finasteride? Is there any evidence that its more harmful in the long term than finasteride?

As for proxiphen, from what I gather it's basically all the known and proven hair loss drugs all combined into one topical. Is that basically correct? From the little research I've done it seems to be going for $100 a month. But since I'm not applying it to anything except my hairline, could I possibly get by using less and stretch one batch out to more than 1 month?

I appreciate the advice and quick reply...

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
As far as Proxiphen goes, I wouldn't call hardly any of the products known, except minoxidil. spironolactone is commonly discussed as a treatment on these boards, but phenytoin isn't. And Tempo is never mentioned. Nor is PBN.

lunarjm

Reaction score
JayMan said:

norwood.jpg

Jayman...is Avodart more effective for temporal hair loss than Propecia?

weezerboi18

Established Member
Reaction score
jayman have you used Proxiphen before? I'am tempted to get some I stil have my propecia prescirbtion laying around here some where i think they could go off that plus i have to call him.

G

no i have not used it. i'd talk to bryan about it since he has used prox-n at least and knows a lot about dr proctor's products.