Reasons to drink green tea.

Rintintin

Reaction score
i always used to drink like 3 cups of coffee a day, but now i switch between green team and coffee and i find my skin looks alot healtheir than it used too. its not as worn out i guess would be the word i am looking for.

IBM

Reaction score
hair_tomorrow: you take a lot of things... whats your hairloss reverse progress?

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
IBM said:
hair_tomorrow: you take a lot of things... whats your hairloss reverse progress?

My bald spot filled in last summer - then I started screwin' around w/ dosages and things - and then it came back over the winter.

Cranked up my regimen this past March and hoping to recover.

Best I can say now is that I've got a new crop of vellous hairs in my left temple - still a 5A though.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score

CCS

Reaction score
Bryan said:
A couple of minor comments:

1) There is no evidence at all that drinking green tea as a beverage (or taking green tea extracts in tablet or capsule form) has any systemic effect of 5a-reductase inhibition, with subsequent DHT reduction. Please note that Liang's and Hiipakka's study was almost entirely in vitro; the part about how the rats' internal organs were affected was when EGCG was INJECTED into them in large doses, not given to them in their food or water. The reason for the failure of green tea to inhibit 5a-reductase systemically when taken as a beverage is probably because EGCG is very poorly absorbed from the GI tract. And as I've said many times before, there's still a distinct possibility that TOPICAL applications of green tea (or an extract) could be usefull for controlling hairloss, even if taking it orally as a beverage is not. There are both animal and human tests showing its ability to inhibit 5a-reductase, when applied topically.

2) There is evidence that caffeine may be an important co-factor for at least SOME of the general health benefits that you get from consuming the polyphenols in green tea, so I would use the caffeine-free versions with some degree of caution.

Bryan

maybe we should have salt water with EGCG and other difficult to absorb stuff, and inject it into our veins each day. It would fight dehydration too.

jimmyjames

Established Member
Reaction score
I've heard some people suggest that green tea "might" work better for hair loss if it's applied topically. So my question (mainly out of curiosity) is: how would you apply it topically? Do people actually just dump warm tea on their head and let it sit for awhile?

RAKBS

Established Member
Reaction score
jimmyjames said:
I've heard some people suggest that green tea "might" work better for hair loss if it's applied topically. So my question (mainly out of curiosity) is: how would you apply it topically? Do people actually just dump warm tea on their head and let it sit for awhile?

I make a cup of it, and then I use a teaspoon to deliver it to different spots. I usually focus on one part of my head at a time, so as little of it falls off as possible. When you think about it, each follicle only needs a little drop.

Usually, I can get the job done with less than one cup, so at that time, I do just dump the rest of it on my head.

CCS

Reaction score
I prefer something a bit more concentrated, with more EGCG. I buy 50g of GTE with >50% EGCG, and make a solution with that. About 500mg per 8oz. Then I use 4mL to douse my head.

G

collegechemistrystudent said:
I prefer something a bit more concentrated, with more EGCG. I buy 50g of GTE with >50% EGCG, and make a solution with that. About 500mg per 8oz. Then I use 4mL to douse my head.

No offence CCS, but do you actually have time to do anything except stir sh*t up and dump it on your head and in your mouth? Really, you're way over hard-core, you're just insane. All this hassle and I hear you say you're still thinning... bloody hell, makes me think there is no cure.

Maxpwr

Established Member
Reaction score
GHG said:
No offence CCS, but do you actually have time to do anything except stir $#iT up and dump it on your head and in your mouth? Really, you're way over hard-core, you're just insane. All this hassle and I hear you say you're still thinning... bloody hell, makes me think there is no cure.

Hehehe!! It would appear not...

But seriously, does anyone actually believe that green tea or extract can help with hair loss? Would drinking green tea or taking green tea extract make an impact on hair loss at all? Is brewing a cuppa and then (*lol* instead of drinking it) pouring it on your head another of those wildly exaggerated myths or is there any scientific backing here??

I drink 3 cups of green tea per day - I have been doing this for years and I love the stuff. I definitely think it's an acquired taste, but some brands are a lot more bitter than others. I have always wondered how good the stuff really is for you...

I have a few questions, but will only ask them after I have read this thread in its entirety and checked out all of Cassin's links.

person

Experienced Member
Reaction score
According to wikipedia green tea accelerates hair loss.

the Last Fight

Established Member
Reaction score
Apparently if green tea is bitter you got the bad stuff, the real deal green teas shouldnt be bitter at all and should produce a bright green color, at least thats what i read ..

retropunk

Established Member
Reaction score
person said:
According to wikipedia green tea accelerates hair loss.

Tea in general may cause hair loss because of the fluoride. High fluoride intake MAY result in hypothyroidism. However, I believe GTE should be free of fluoride.

mpower

Established Member
Reaction score
interesing articles... I really loved green tea when I was in high school. probably I have to revive some good habits now...
all kinds of sodas, especially coke suck soo big time. I definately need to quit drinking them ;(

p.s. I hate wikipedia for being so unreliable source of information that everybody uses...

GlasgowCelt

Reaction score
I have done nothing but drink Green Tea, Water, and Pomegranite Juice over the past 7 months.

I have never felt better.

I don't appear to have any sort of traditional/common hairloss but my encounter with Telogen Effluvium put me on edge and forced me to look after myself. I have never smoked (never will) and seldom drink.

Buy the green tea that is contained within fresh (tinfoiled) bags, if the actual green tea substance isn't light green. Then it more than often has an abundance of fluoride in it.

Bare in mind, its ****ing addictive. I'm drinking on average 8-12 cups a day, and finding it quite hard to cut down.

But surely that is good!?

CCS

Reaction score
The caffiene is addictive. I think tea has 1/3 as much as coffee. So if you drink 12 cups a day, you might be getting enough to get addicted. I heard 10 cups is the max for benefits, with 4 cups close behind. The way these anti-oxidants work is you should get a little of everything. A lot of one thing does not help much more, and can expose you to other bad ingredients more.

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
GlasgowCelt said:
Bare in mind, its ****ing addictive. I'm drinking on average 8-12 cups a day, and finding it quite hard to cut down.

But surely that is good!?

White tea has no or little caffeine. Would it have the same beneficial properties as green tea?

Cassin

Reaction score
There is not much caffeine in Green Tea at all when you compare it to the rocket fuel you get at Starbucks or energy drinks.

I believe Green Tea has half the caffeine as a 12oz can of coke.

CCS

Reaction score
I think I read that green tea has 30mg of caffiene per cup, and black tea 40mg, and coffee 120mg. I don't know how much coke has, but definitely less than coffee. Those energy drinks have at least as much as coffee, and very from drink to drink.