Really stuck on what to do with minoxidil...

ukmale24

Established Member
Reaction score
I started on liquid, seemed to be working great, although my temples still shed but my crown filled in quite nicely and i seen small, thin, tiny hairs on my hairline (although they could have been thick hairs thinning)

But after 4 months I decided to give the foam a go as the liquid takes sooo long to dry, but it seems that already within a month of using the foam, my crown has gone back to it's state before. Is that even possible or am i just imagining it? And more important, it's VERY hard to apply the foam to the crown area when it's not mostly thin, it just gets caught up in my hair. And on top of that, because i'm having to apply it on the crown AND the hairline, i'm obviously using way more than 1%.

Does anyone have any tips on better applying the foam?
And i'm hearing different things about the liquid being better than foam, some say the liquid is better, some say the foam, some say they're the same, which is what i would've thought as the ingredients are the same!

ukmale24

Established Member
Reaction score
P.S. anyone know if there's any difference in stopping Regaine and then using Kirkland? As I've just seen a 3 month supply of Kirkland minoxidil for £18, which is cheaper than one bottle of Regaine :/

Johnx

Established Member
Reaction score
I find them both (foam and liquid) a mess to use...
Here's what I do - I use liquid before going to bed, and foam at mornings.

Liquid seems to reach the scalp better because using the dropper you can apply it directly to the skin. However it leaves the hair wet/greasy, but I don't care because nobody sees it.

I see no problem applying foam to temples, but on the crown as you've mentioned it gets caught up in the hair. I just try to part the hair and apply 5-6 small blobs of foam directly to the scalp, then push it down and rub it with my fingers. Of course it wets the hair, but I imagine it also gets on the scalp... I also noticed the foam kind of thickens the hair, however it leaves the hair stiff, with whitish residue, and matte - did you experience any of that?

I don't know if it's possible to experience a shed from switching from liquid to foam, but I think you wouldn't care about this if you would use both like me - you would use both regularly, so no switching - no reason to blame it..
I use foam and liquid just because the liquid is cheaper (and it seems easier to apply to the crown). I use Kirkland liquid btw.

ukmale24

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for replying my friend!

I have considered using one at night and the other in the morning, I just imagine the liquid to be awkward either way, as using it in the morning makes it difficult to style hair if i'm going out as it's still wet, and at night i assume it just feels uncomfortable because you're putting your wet head onto pillow.

I agree, that's what i love about the liquid, i usually use the roll-on type applicator if you know which one i mean? I find it easiest to use that on the temples, hairline and crown and 1ml is enough to cover all them areas.
The thing is, if i'm going out, I wanna style it. I can't really put my hair wax or lotion in whilst my hair is still wet from minoxidil. Do you not use any hair products?

The small blob application is what i've done the past few times i've applied the foam, but doing that as well as applying blobs on my hairline and temples, i found i was probably applying more than 1ml. When you apply the foam, do you feel as though you haven't put enough on? as it dries so quickly, like instantly! I even feel that on the crown because a few seconds after rubbing in the blob, it just feels dry already :S
Yeah, I experience the stiffness of the hair, not so much the white residue like the liquid leaves after a few hours, although there has been some occasionally, I don't really find that a problem though.
Have you had good results from the Kirkland? Do you think it works any better/worser than Regaine? Kirkland is dirt cheap so I think I may opt for it. Also, a UK based hairloss centre sell 12.5% minoxidil + Azelaic Acid so i'm contemplating on whether to get that.

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ukmale24 said:
P.S. anyone know if there's any difference in stopping Regaine and then using Kirkland? As I've just seen a 3 month supply of Kirkland minoxidil for £18, which is cheaper than one bottle of Regaine :/

They are very much the same just different brand name. I've used both and kirklands is the smarter option money wise. I can see no problems switching over. Go for it.

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Im a frequent user of minoxidil myself. Check my regimen. The best product i have used is spectral dnc as far as minoxidil products go. It maybe more pricey and may not be significantly better than regular minoxidil. However its the least harsh minoxidil topical i have ever used. There's no scalp flaking and it dries more quickly. If you've got money to burn then it is worth trying. If your on a tight budget and money for value is a concern then kirklands is the best to get.

Johnx

Established Member
Reaction score
ukmale24 said:
Thanks for replying my friend!

I have considered using one at night and the other in the morning, I just imagine the liquid to be awkward either way, as using it in the morning makes it difficult to style hair if i'm going out as it's still wet, and at night i assume it just feels uncomfortable because you're putting your wet head onto pillow.

I agree, that's what i love about the liquid, i usually use the roll-on type applicator if you know which one i mean? I find it easiest to use that on the temples, hairline and crown and 1ml is enough to cover all them areas.
The thing is, if i'm going out, I wanna style it. I can't really put my hair wax or lotion in whilst my hair is still wet from minoxidil. Do you not use any hair products?

The small blob application is what i've done the past few times i've applied the foam, but doing that as well as applying blobs on my hairline and temples, i found i was probably applying more than 1ml. When you apply the foam, do you feel as though you haven't put enough on? as it dries so quickly, like instantly! I even feel that on the crown because a few seconds after rubbing in the blob, it just feels dry already :S
Yeah, I experience the stiffness of the hair, not so much the white residue like the liquid leaves after a few hours, although there has been some occasionally, I don't really find that a problem though.
Have you had good results from the Kirkland? Do you think it works any better/worser than Regaine? Kirkland is dirt cheap so I think I may opt for it. Also, a UK based hairloss centre sell 12.5% minoxidil + Azelaic Acid so i'm contemplating on whether to get that.
Regarding the liquid+pillow thing: I've never had any problem with that. I just apply the liquid 1-2 hours before the bed, so it's almost dry when I go to sleep. Sometimes even if I go to sleep right after the application, I don't find it a problem, because imagine - you never touch your pillow with your crown or hairline, it's the back and sides of the head are touching. And what's the big deal if a drop or two gets on the pillow? It just soaks in and dries in a few minutes, plus it's clean (alcohol and other stuff). I'm sure the sheets soak in way more of your sweat than a few drops of minoxidil, and the sheets are washed regularly :)

What kind of applicator do you use? (a pic maybe?) I'm also thinking about buying this thing: http://www.gcpllc.com/, I imagine this would help a lot reducing the minoxidil usage and insuring it gets on the scalp 100%, and no greasy hair. Too bad I can't find any members here that uses it to ask if it's really working good..

To answer your question if I use any hair products - no I don't, because when my hair is wet from the gel or whatever, My scalp gets visible and this looks really bad...

Yep, I'm also get paranoid that I don't put enough foam, so I usually add some more... I don't know how many ml I use, but I will track how long my next can lasts.

Regarding your question about Kirkland results - I don't really know, but I assume it's working, because my regrowth is continuing.. I've never tried Regaine liquid, but I don't think it's any different from Kirkland, I'm pretty sure the Kirkland stuff is good.

ukmale24

Established Member
Reaction score
True, I do the same by applying the liquid about 2 hours before bed, but I'd just like the freedom of applying it just before bedtime like I get with foam, you know in case i've been out somewhere. It just makes me unhappy that my life is dictated by this.

This is the applicator tip I use when on liquid ...
http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/consumers/cmi/r/Rogaine4.gif

You get a variety of applicators with Regaine and that is one of them, by far the best IMO. That minoxidil brush looks pretty awesome, it's not majorly expensive so if I had the money I'd go for it, but unfortunately I'm not working so I need to keep costs to a minimum. Maybe make a thread informing people of it? A few people may try it out.

Well my foam can has lasted me just over 3 weeks this first time i've used it. I think that's partly due to the first few times where I squeezed out far too much because I'd been going off on how much they were putting on their hair in the TV ad. I might give the foam a go once more as it's the only one sold in local shops and i've been ran out for a couple of days now.

Follicle - I just checked out the Spectral DNC and i may give it a go as it's not any more expensive than me going to buy a bottle of Regaine foam from my local supermarket, but i don't think i could buy it every month. What applicator tip does it use? Does it have an assortment or just the one? Not too keen on the one that shows in the picture as it's difficult to apply to the hairline and temples. Have you tried their shampoo? that looks good.

Tough choice but I'm still undecided, only because i'm unsure of foam's power over liquid. I think I'll go with the foam once more, but if i notice a decrease in the hair i was gaining with liquid, it'll definitely be back to the liquid.

Johnx

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, it's your choice.. you can use the foam before bed too, the only advantage of the liquid to me is the price, I'm pretty sure they both work equally good...
I'm also not working, so keeping my costs minimum. My strategy is to buy 6-12 month supply of finasteride-minoxidil-nizoral in one order - yes order like that is quite expensive, but at least I have a peace of mind I have a supply for almost a year or so.. Plus, you save on shipping, and you save much buying in packs (for example Rogaine foam 4-month packs).

Oh, btw if you like liquid, you should try this:
http://shop.genhair.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=1
Guys on the forums say it dries really fast like rogaine foam, and doesn't leave the hair greasy. I'm seriously considering to try this myself.

Thanks for giving me a tip about starting a thread about that minoxidil applicator brush, maybe someone will chime in... hell, it costs the same as 4-month rogaine pack so really worth buying if it works, that thing would last a lifetime..

Regarding that rolling applicator you're using - don't you get minoxidil into your crown hair when using it?

ukmale24

Established Member
Reaction score
Buying a longer supply is definitely a good idea and one i intend on doing when i have enough money and a regime i want to stick with!

That stuff looks good and fairly cheap but I really don't want to buy stuff from overseas as i have to wait around for ages for my order and i'm pretty f*cked if something goes wrong with the shipment, as has happened with my spironolactone cream I ordered from this site.

Keep me updated if you buy that brush, would like to know how you find using it and if you think it's worth it!

I do get it into my hair when using the roll on tip, but it mostly goes onto my scalp as i push it right down onto it, and i can feel my scalp get cold when i put it on. & i can sort of control how much goes on there depending on what angle i hold it at, and roll it around my scalp to apply it other areas i want to apply it to. Whereas with the spray tips, it just squirts out into one area.

It may be possible to use Regaine's roll on top with another minoxidil, but it depends on the bottle size to make the tip fit.

RP3X

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive recently switched to kirkland liquid, and yeah apply it in evenings within 20-30 mins though its more or less dry so not a problem to goto sleep with.

I do however from wash my hair in water the next morning and then use rogain foam, it does make the hairs alot thicker in appearance like a hair gel/foam would anyhow, perfect for work to conceal hair loss a bit at least !

So far not much difference in the kirkland liquid, perhaps the hairs on my hair line/temples a bit more poking out and longer but there just dead life-less hairs, which have been there more or less with rogain foam past 3 years....

Shame no ones invented something to trigger those type of hairs to actually grow or sprout out :(

googlng uk rogain foam, that place does good kirkland deals or ebays ok :)
I just brought a years supple of foam/kirkland while pricey thought sod it im gonna try for another year and bit and if nothing ill pack in the lot and go for a ConcealerToppik or consider hair transplant eventually.

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ukmale24 said:
Follicle - I just checked out the Spectral DNC and i may give it a go as it's not any more expensive than me going to buy a bottle of Regaine foam from my local supermarket, but i don't think i could buy it every month. What applicator tip does it use? Does it have an assortment or just the one? Not too keen on the one that shows in the picture as it's difficult to apply to the hairline and temples. Have you tried their shampoo? that looks good.

Tough choice but I'm still undecided, only because i'm unsure of foam's power over liquid. I think I'll go with the foam once more, but if i notice a decrease in the hair i was gaining with liquid, it'll definitely be back to the liquid.

Unfortanetelly i didnt recieve the application dropper. I got the spray top instead. I ended up using the dropper from a previous minoxidil bottle (regaine). The reason for this is because the packaging is smaller. I did buy it in bulk however from a cheap site which might of been the reason i didnt get the complete package you get with most minoxidil brands.

ukmale24

Established Member
Reaction score
ended up buying the spectral dnc minoxidil! only because it was available on ebay, should get it by the end of the week. as well as kirkland minoxidil. wanted to give them both a go so may alternate between each i.e. one in the morning and the other at night.

Nneel

Reaction score
Hi all my good friends..
more time Im passing in this place - the more I am learning...

now I got a qus in my mind.. need ur wise advice..

I am on Krikland Minx5% (this is my first monthon krik minoxidil). in my land Kirk minoxidil is really expensive. So I have asked one my friend at USA to buy

Krikland Liquid 5% for me and ship to me..... any how He bought
Rogein Liquid 5% & ROgein Foam 5% (3+3=6 bottol) .
If I switched to Rogein from Krikland -
there will be any problem?

please share ur opinion

Rgds/
Nneel

ukmale24

Established Member
Reaction score
hey, my guess would be that there is no problem between switching between different minoxidils, as at the end of the the active ingredient is still the same.