realistically when are we going to see a 'cure'?

musky

Reaction score
from reading past posts it seems people for years have believed that a cure will be 'right around the corner', even some of the 'new' protocols have been discussed for years without much success.

is there a cure in the works? will something new be discovered by accident? will male pattern baldness ever be fully 'cured'?

these are the questions that keep me awake at night.

myhairbegone

Established Member
Reaction score
Your guess is as good as mine.

If it is 'cured', I think it is highly likely that it will be a treatment similar to finasteride in that it will stop progression of baldness, not regrow.

perplexedguy

Reaction score
It will be. You have to be optimistic. Check out RepliCel and Histogen. Their products are expected to be out in 2018 in Japan if all goes well. Japan because of less strict regulations. You need two phase trials instead of three and stuff like that. You can search it up. Not a complete cure but a better alternative to minoxidil and finasteride :)

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My guess is if a cure does happen it will come out of the blue and take everyone by surprise.

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
5 years...

latest

abcdefg

Reaction score
Who knows. Most likely just preventing male pattern baldness not regrowing anything. I say take guess and add a decade or two for the very long trials

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have decent hope for the Italian treatment, the topical finasteride from polichem, and histogen.

However, histogen will be restricted to the rich. If it comes out in 2017 in Mexico, and you need to go five times, that is going to cost $15,000 at least.

da_ve100

Reaction score
Hi All,

Apologies for crashing into this thread but i'm just wondering if there's any appropriate thread i can post in so i'd be able to start my own.

thanks in advance for any help!

distracted

Established Member
Reaction score
5 years...

latest

If only.

But if Replicel's hypothesis is right and its treatment is effective I don't see how that wouldn't be a cure. If for example Replicel was able to maintain gene expression and all the other factors, it could really work. Replicel will either be a cure or a bust in my opinion.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It would be nice if somehow, someway, scientists were able to implant a full head of bio compatible synthetic hair that somehow last years and years, or something like that. I don't see how this would be possible, but it would be f*cking awesome if we could just walk in and get a full head of hair and never worry about regrowth, or drugs or anything. Maybe we should move our focus from biology more towards engineering. haha

resu

Reaction score
A fatal flaw with synthetic hair would be that it would be destroyed once the environment and hair products started to degrade the quality of the artificial hair, think how hard women with very long hair and the issues they have in trying to make all that dead hair look healthy, hair and nails are constantly growing.

bgx

Reaction score
Not within our lifetime I think. Hair loss has too many causes for there to ever be one universal cure. Even if you were to cure male pattern baldness you still have alopecia and array of other disorders that cause hair loss. Hair transplants are only true universal option and but the art is imperfect and inaccessible for most.

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
bgx, when we talk of a "hair loss cure" on these forums, what is implied is that it is a cure for Androgenetic Alopecia, which accounts for almost all hair loss in men. Hair loss that is permanent in nature and that is caused by something other than Androgenetic Alopecia is extremely rare.

A total cure for Androgenetic Alopecia is a long way off, and will likely never appear in our lifetime. Better treatments will probably come along to replace 5-ar inhibitors though, but this may not be for at least another 10 years or longer. Most of the experimental treatments that are in the pipeline will likely turn out either not to work, or to be far less effective than what the researchers initially claimed. Setipiprant, for instance, has been used by members of these forums for several months now to test its effectiveness themselves, but it is becoming clear to us now that it isn't that much of a miracle treatment after all. That Italian lotion that everyone is getting excited over in another thread will probably turn out to either be totally useless, or to give only very minimal results.

Maybe, just maybe, some spectacular treatment will pop up out of nowhere sometime within the next 15 years that will be far superior to finasteride in terms of both safety and results. I personally doubt it, and I won't be holding my breath, but maybe that wonderful treatment we've all been waiting for will come along.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
A fatal flaw with synthetic hair would be that it would be destroyed once the environment and hair products started to degrade the quality of the artificial hair, think how hard women with very long hair and the issues they have in trying to make all that dead hair look healthy, hair and nails are constantly growing.

Good point, but engineers have already invented a form of almost everything that lasts an entire life time, even in the presence of environmental factors - metal, wood, cables, synthetic plastics, etc... why not hair? I major issue would be somehow permanently anchoring to the scalp so it stays for a very, very long time.

bgx

Reaction score
bgx, when we talk of a "hair loss cure" on these forums, what is implied is that it is a cure for Androgenetic Alopecia, which accounts for almost all hair loss in men. Hair loss that is permanent in nature and that is caused by something other than Androgenetic Alopecia is extremely rare.

I see, but we also must keep in mind that everyone responds to treatments differently and everyone's personal risk threshold is different as well. I'm comfortable using Rogaine for example, but I wouldn't touch finasteride or any hormone-altering substance. Personally, I see transplants likely being the next big thing once the process is mastered and can be done affordably because of the lack of potential side effects with guaranteed and permanent result.

Dolph

Established Member
Reaction score
I see, but we also must keep in mind that everyone responds to treatments differently and everyone's personal risk threshold is different as well. I'm comfortable using Rogaine for example, but I wouldn't touch finasteride or any hormone-altering substance. Personally, I see transplants likely being the next big thing once the process is mastered and can be done affordably because of the lack of potential side effects with guaranteed and permanent result.
But you need to combine hormone-altering substances with hair transplants...

greg711711

Reaction score
I have two schools of thought when it comes to replicel. As someone who is quickly losing his hair, what I read about replicel gives me some hope. However, I also trade equities part time, so of course I have taken some time to look at the company to see if it is worth investing in. Unfortunately, it is a struggling penny stock company. It is so tiny that it doesn't even trade on any of the real exchanges and does not report any earnings or yearly/quarterly financial statements. While the science behind what they are doing is promising, take it with a grain of salt. Penny stock companies like replicel are notorious for putting out bogus press releases to try to drum up buyers of their plummeting stock (and yes, it has been steadily in free fall for some time now).