Re: Thenational's Story - PICS UPDATE

Wow. bringing out the big guns, huh?

Well, if you feel you must! We've got ourselves a brave one here :3

Keep us posted.

thenational

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Thenational's Story - PICS UPDATE

Another update, single picture. Feel i've lost a small bit of ground but the shedding has cut down.

thenational

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Thenational's Story - 6 Month PIC UPDATE

Added rogaine foam into my regime the other day, just on the hairline, so as of now im on the big 3. Should mention im only applying it once a day as i dont have the time or effort for nite application.

Lets see how it goes.

Obsidian

Reaction score

I would have more problems applying it in the morning than at night.

Oklahoman

Reaction score

You need to consider a different hairstyle. Your (perceived) hairloss would be utterly unnoticeable.

Tyler_Durden

Established Member
Reaction score

Hey dude,
I'm in a very similar situation to yourself, very similar in age and we both started treatment around the same time (you started the day before my b'day!) so it is interesting to follow.

I'm about 6 months on finasteride and nizoral now, but I've been questioning whether finasteride was going to actually help me at all (and I've started looking round at whether it could be Reflex Hypowhatever because I just expected that catching my hairloss this early would mean I'd respond really well; not really the case unfortunately!).
Anyways this is sort of relevant because, and I don't mean this to offend in anyway, but it seems like you are responding in the same manner... I just think comparing these two pics, six months apart, you have maybe shedded/thinned a bit... (it might just be wet hair in the second pic, but it just looks thinner to me, in saying that though you have an awesome head of hair!)

IMG_g0685-1.jpg

file.php

I don't want this to come across negatively, as it actually gives me a lot of confidence that it might just take some more time for the finasteride to kick in. I see a lot of people dropping it within the first 5 months, so it obviously isn't rare that things get worse before they get better, which is what I am hopeful for with us.

I hope you keep updating your thread dude because I'll be following closely, I was thinking of dropping finasteride tonight because my hair was a lot better before starting (the other thing is I've got a brother who is 2 years older, so I sorta use him as my timeline, and he is pretty much fine... Like I was before I started, just some receding and the knowledge of a young bald father, but now I'm worse then him which worries me... Makes me think it is Propecia's doing) but with our similar timelines I have a bit more faith to ride it along a bit further and see how we go.

Sorry to crash your thread man, stirring up discussion never hurts though I reckon :)
Goodluck man

thenational

Established Member
Reaction score

I'v been on rogaine foam just over a month and its safe to say i'v shed fair amount. I try not to think about it to much i dont want to be put of by this initial shed (if it is just a shed).
So i took a photo just before i began the foam and another today, its apparent that i have been losing ground or maybe just shedding.Sometimes i feel its making things worse, then on the other hand i just tell my self this is the mojo working and there are small black hairs all around the temples. Either way im not gona stop taking it now that im passed the month mark.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Re: Thenational's Story - PIC UPDATE p3.

u need to grow some balls.

heyitsthatguy

Established Member
Reaction score

to the guys saying that he needs a new hairstyle well. im fairly sure hes only doing it to show of his hairline in these forums

Hecfield

Reaction score

Tyler_Durden said:
Hey dude,
I'm in a very similar situation to yourself, very similar in age and we both started treatment around the same time (you started the day before my b'day!) so it is interesting to follow.

I'm about 6 months on finasteride and nizoral now, but I've been questioning whether finasteride was going to actually help me at all (and I've started looking round at whether it could be Reflex Hypowhatever because I just expected that catching my hairloss this early would mean I'd respond really well; not really the case unfortunately!).
Anyways this is sort of relevant because, and I don't mean this to offend in anyway, but it seems like you are responding in the same manner... I just think comparing these two pics, six months apart, you have maybe shedded/thinned a bit... (it might just be wet hair in the second pic, but it just looks thinner to me, in saying that though you have an awesome head of hair!)

I don't want this to come across negatively, as it actually gives me a lot of confidence that it might just take some more time for the finasteride to kick in. I see a lot of people dropping it within the first 5 months, so it obviously isn't rare that things get worse before they get better, which is what I am hopeful for with us.

I hope you keep updating your thread dude because I'll be following closely, I was thinking of dropping finasteride tonight because my hair was a lot better before starting (the other thing is I've got a brother who is 2 years older, so I sorta use him as my timeline, and he is pretty much fine... Like I was before I started, just some receding and the knowledge of a young bald father, but now I'm worse then him which worries me... Makes me think it is Propecia's doing) but with our similar timelines I have a bit more faith to ride it along a bit further and see how we go.

Sorry to crash your thread man, stirring up discussion never hurts though I reckon :)
Goodluck man

Consider me in the same boat as you guys. Literally the exact same pattern and alteration in hairline since starting finasteride 4 1/2 months ago. RH is supposed to be rare though, right?

thenational

Established Member
Reaction score

Well i decided to post back here cause i feel like theres so many stories up here that just fizzle out. Also sorry about the massive picture, never seem to be able to load them.
Im not going to go into much detail, but i gave up dutasteride cause it kept getting siezed! I havent been monitoring my hair as much as i use to, although i have cut it much shorter than usual. Id wash my hair maybe twice a week and id lose about 50 hairs in the shower each time, so i dont really know what to make of my loss anymore. I think im receding a bit more on my temples and slowly thinning out.

So im currently on

Rogaine (once daily)
Nizorla (twice weekly)
Proscar (1.25 daily)

I wouldn't mind a few suggestions on how to progress to a level higher. Dutas, Ru all suggestions would be appreciated?

thenational

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Thenational's Story - One year update.

Update, no longer receding i think. Just thinning out in the temples, so i shaved my head a while back and that was easy and handy, but i thought i'd give it one final go at growing my hair out a bit longer.

thenational

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Thenational's Story - 3yr update - 4yrs on proscar

Well thought i'd update this page

I have to say its pretty damn interesting reading back over this thread. I almost seemed like a mad man on a quest to save his hair at all costs possible

I'm 24 now and am very comfortable with where my head and hair is. A lot of my friends are also starting to notcie a bit of hair loss so it just doesn't seem as big a deal as it did 3 years ago

Don't get me wrong in October i will have been on proscar 5 years. I get 6 months perscription and take a week or two off each time. A while back i had a bit of trouble maintaining an erection so began taking Zinc daily and this has pretty much helped all the problems in that field.

All and all I just have to say the older i am getting the easier it is to deal with hair loss and the less impact it has on me personally.

Stopped taking photos up close at different angles, times days etc. Basically i have stopped monitoring my hairloss like a diary. So have a photo of me on a night out (obviously growing my hair out and brushing it forward has helped)

To say i'm happy with my hair would be an understatement, considering my brother was clearly balding at my age i put all the success down to proscar.

thenational

Established Member
Reaction score
3 and a half years on proscar and it has more than likely come to an end.

About a month ago i started seeing a new girl and well to say i had trouble in bed would be an understatement i could barely even wack myself off. I had no libido and my erections were less than desirable, it was as though i was trying to play snooker with a rope.

Obviously i was very distraught and had been having trouble in the past so i stopped taking proscar almost immediately. I didn't come on here at first and gradually come off i just stopped, instantly.

A few weeks went by and could get up an erection but these weeks were a very scary time as i was unsure it would ever come back, but it did and i had a massive sigh of relief. It was now just an issue of maintaining one for a long period. So i came on here and read all the horror stories and worried myself into a black hole about how it ruined Timi's life, some people sue propecia and have a loss of erection forever etc. But then i found a few postive stories that gave me hope, and put my head in the right place to over come this psychological erectile dysfunction problem (this is what i told myself).

So i started a course of zinc slowly increasing that to 40mg a day and my morning erections began to come back but still no stiff erections. I came back on here and read up on arginine.So i began taking that once a day and increased to twice a day and it has made a massive impact. I had sex 3 times in one night with my new girlfriend :punk: and she said even that was impressive considering whats happened in the past. So all in all i feel i have really turned a corner, whether it was all psychological or not i don't know, but i very much doubt it, i feel the proscar was inhibiting my sexual drive and diminishing my erections.

On a side note, i stopped watching p**rn and stopped masturbating as i felt it was putting more pressure on the whole situation. I just cleared my mind from the negative thoughts and found a great girl who was willing to take it slow at the start and help me over come and issues i was having.

This will probably be my last post in this thread so i would just like to thank everyone for all the help and say that hair loss is a crazy journey, but at the end of the day. Impotency v Hairloss is a battle nobody should go through

thenational

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been deciding should i go back on. But this was my thinking on it:

Women will get with men who are bald. Women will get with men who have hair. No women are going to want to stay with men who can't perform in bed. Fooling around with a women in bed and not getting hard was one of the worst experiences of my life - much worse than being bald (of course there is v**** which i don't want to take - scheduled sex isn't my bag)

I'm 25 now and plenty of my friends are losing their hair so if it happens i'l just have to embrace it.

5 years on propecia isn't a great idea imo i've only been on it under 4 years but count myself lucky that my libido is stabilizing

Joe-1991

Established Member
Reaction score
ANOTHER long term user giving up finasteride due to side effects. Anyone still going by Merck's 'clinical data' is quite frankly an idiot.

Thenational - i am glad that things have returned to normal for you. You are incredibly lucky.

Type in 'propecia side effects' on youtube or visit propeciahelp.com and you will see

Agahi

Established Member
Reaction score
I dunno, didn't he say he could still wank off, but stopped doing it because it put pressure on the situation? Knowing that, he could still obviously get aroused and such. Knowing this from his post a case could be made for the performance issues being mental, especially considering the issues started when he got a new girlfriend. Nerves are a crazy thing.