re: green tea.bald rates for china/japan vs. united states?

jcinzano

Reaction score
when thinking about green tea and diet and hairloss questions, wondering if there have been any surveys comparing how common hairloss is in western cultures vs. eastern, particularly countries where green tea is very popular.

docj077

Reaction score
There's nothing on pubmed concerning hair loss and green tea intake in various countries.

However, there are murine studies that demonstrate that balding mice regrow more hair when administered Green Tea over a sixth month time period than bald mice that are given no Green Tea. The polyphenol fraction was 50% and the amount of mice experiencing regrowth was 30%.

jcinzano

Reaction score
yeah i know about the that, but i always feel reluctant to invest effort based on a mice study ...

i didn't think there would be a green tea-hair loss study by country, but did think that somebody has probably done baldness rates by country in general ... and if green tea, healthy-eating asian countries had less frequency than US, that would be interesting...

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nice question idd, but i think baldness rates differ anyway from country to country, like there are more blond people in north europe countries than south. I think mediterannean countries for example have a higher baldness rate.

the_swami

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, I agree with that... too many other factors (soy, seaweed, other good stuff, etc).

I haven't seen studies about hairloss in this regard, there are other pertinent studies about hormones levels and plenty of other (indirectly related) topics though.

jcinzano

Reaction score
look what i found. dunno if this is true but...

http://www.hairloss-research.org/ChineseMedicinal.html

snip:

An interesting epidemiological study was done in Japan about 8 years ago. It simply compared the incidence of male pattern baldness in rural Japan and urban Japan.

It was noted that the incidence on male pattern baldness in urban Japan was 4 times higher that that of rural Japan. The author, Dr. Inabi, hypothesized that diet played a major role. In urban Japan, the city dweller have essentially gone to a western diet, meaning more meat, dairy products, and fast foods, not to mention the stress. In rural Japan, he studied that they eat a traditional macrobiotic diet consisting mainly of fish, grains and vegetables, high in 3 and 6 fatty acids.

The incidence of male pattern baldness amongst the urban Japanese is only slightly less than what it is in the U.S., and among Japanese who have been living in the U.S. for more than one generation, it is identical to other ethnic groups. In Japan, prior to WWII, and its subsequent urbanization, male pattern baldness was virtually unknown and extremely rare. This study sheds a drastically different light on how diet and environment can impact genetic triggers and the predispositions.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't believe everything you read on the "male pattern baldness Research" site.

powersam

Reaction score
wish i could actually find that study rather than just a little synopsis on a site which i don't really regard as all that reputable.

powersam

Reaction score
been trying to google it but that original site always comes up and pretty much only that.

sublime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It is a proven fact. You can correlate those studies with the studies done on the increase of heart disease and cancer since the introduction of the western diet.

Felk

Reaction score
I agree it's compelling, and at the very least something to think about, but we must always remember not to equate correlation with causation.